1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your Attention Please! There are now 4 kinds of lies!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Sep 11, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 11 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]510959[/snapback]</div>
    Another Quality thread by Mr. Wildkow! :)

Water Vapor Rules
    the Greenhouse System

Just how much of the "Greenhouse Effect" is caused by human activity?

Hurricane forecaster: Oceans, not CO2, cause global warming

04:44 PM MST on Monday, April 30, 2007

Dan Elliott / Associated Press

DENVER -- Hurricane forecaster William Gray said Friday that global ocean currents, not human-produced carbon dioxide, are responsible for global warming, and the Earth may begin to cool on its own in five to 10 years.
    [url="http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/kmsb-20070430-wwljc-globalwarming.2485b657.html"]http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/sto...g.2485b657.html[/url]

2. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 11 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]510959[/snapback]</div>
    Another Quality thread by Mr. Wildkow! :)

Water Vapor Rules
    the Greenhouse System

Just how much of the "Greenhouse Effect" is caused by human activity?

Hurricane forecaster: Oceans, not CO2, cause global warming

04:44 PM MST on Monday, April 30, 2007

Dan Elliott / Associated Press

DENVER -- Hurricane forecaster William Gray said Friday that global ocean currents, not human-produced carbon dioxide, are responsible for global warming, and the Earth may begin to cool on its own in five to 10 years.
    [url="http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/stories/kmsb-20070430-wwljc-globalwarming.2485b657.html"]http://www.fox11az.com/news/topstories/sto...g.2485b657.html[/url]

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Sep 12 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]511297[/snapback]</div>
    Gooooooooo hycam!

[​IMG]

4. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Sep 12 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]511297[/snapback]</div>
    Gooooooooo hycam!

[​IMG]

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 12 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]511306[/snapback]</div>
    LOL thats too funny! :lol: :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 12 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]511306[/snapback]</div>

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

7. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought you would like that. :)

As for the data you posted. Do you have any from reputable sources? Fox news doesn't cut it for me. :)

Do not make the mistake of belittling anthropogenic % numbers. The percentages make them look small but the actually #s are quite large.

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought you would like that. :)

As for the data you posted. Do you have any from reputable sources? Fox news doesn't cut it for me. :)

Do not make the mistake of belittling anthropogenic % numbers. The percentages make them look small but the actually #s are quite large.

9. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I still say, who the hell cares?
    The political, economic, and military costs will cause changes to our energy situation long before environmental costs will. I just wish we'd make the major investment sooner, rather than watch the cost of the investment grow exponentially with the rise in the energy needed to produce the change. (the investment is inevitable, why not make it now when it is affordable?) It will reduce the environmental costs right along with it.

I guess it's easier to bitch about the why we need to change...

That pic is hilarious!

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I still say, who the hell cares?
    The political, economic, and military costs will cause changes to our energy situation long before environmental costs will. I just wish we'd make the major investment sooner, rather than watch the cost of the investment grow exponentially with the rise in the energy needed to produce the change. (the investment is inevitable, why not make it now when it is affordable?) It will reduce the environmental costs right along with it.

I guess it's easier to bitch about the why we need to change...

That pic is hilarious!

11. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 12 2007, 03:49 AM) [snapback]510959[/snapback]</div>
    From a scientific viewpoint, that's a subtle, but relevant remark. From a society perspective, this argument can also be read in reverse and becomes much more important: we indeed only have one Earth, so do we really want to take any chances of spoiling it? It's simply perverse to claim that the fact that we only have one Earth to model should lead to inconclusiveness and hence no action.

Personally, I am not 100% sure neither that human CO2 emission is the main cause of the climate change that we currently observe. And I am the first to agree that computer models often are very very suspicious (having used and built quite a few of them myself).

But do we really need to be 100% about a global threat to civilisation itself to take actions? That would be an attitude that would lead to self-destruction in the long run. Ultimately, it is some kind of risk analysis.

In addition, it is very important to realise that, in many cases, reducing CO2 emissions also has other direct, positive consequences: the conservation of natural resources. If anything, by consuming less energy and using renewable sources, our economy becomes less dependent on non-renewable sources such as Middle East oil. That fact alone got me sold on the whole CO2 reduction thing.

12. vtie

vtie New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Sep 12 2007, 03:49 AM) [snapback]510959[/snapback]</div>
    From a scientific viewpoint, that's a subtle, but relevant remark. From a society perspective, this argument can also be read in reverse and becomes much more important: we indeed only have one Earth, so do we really want to take any chances of spoiling it? It's simply perverse to claim that the fact that we only have one Earth to model should lead to inconclusiveness and hence no action.

Personally, I am not 100% sure neither that human CO2 emission is the main cause of the climate change that we currently observe. And I am the first to agree that computer models often are very very suspicious (having used and built quite a few of them myself).

But do we really need to be 100% about a global threat to civilisation itself to take actions? That would be an attitude that would lead to self-destruction in the long run. Ultimately, it is some kind of risk analysis.

In addition, it is very important to realise that, in many cases, reducing CO2 emissions also has other direct, positive consequences: the conservation of natural resources. If anything, by consuming less energy and using renewable sources, our economy becomes less dependent on non-renewable sources such as Middle East oil. That fact alone got me sold on the whole CO2 reduction thing.

13. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wow humans exasperate an already natural cycle swinging to one extreme. Now that is news :p NOT!

I agree the article has a bit too much cheekiness flavouring. :)

Darwood, I am afraid you are correct, change will come purely due to financial reasons. However, one can still aim for the ideal and hope that *some* change will come about due to just being in tune with ones impact and mindful of the changes it can bring about.

14. Lywyllyn

Lywyllyn New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Wow humans exasperate an already natural cycle swinging to one extreme. Now that is news :p NOT!

I agree the article has a bit too much cheekiness flavouring. :)

Darwood, I am afraid you are correct, change will come purely due to financial reasons. However, one can still aim for the ideal and hope that *some* change will come about due to just being in tune with ones impact and mindful of the changes it can bring about.

15. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't know. Kow may have a point. Maybe we oughta just do the status quo "wait & see" thingie that humanity is so good at. You know, like we were all doing on December 6th 1941 ... or on September 10th just a few years ago ... or like the 2004 Tsunami in malaysia ... folks just standing around with the good ol' "wait n see" mentality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2M-pHOIpwo&NR=1

Plenty of time to act, later. Yea. Let's just wait and see :rolleyes:

16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I don't know. Kow may have a point. Maybe we oughta just do the status quo "wait & see" thingie that humanity is so good at. You know, like we were all doing on December 6th 1941 ... or on September 10th just a few years ago ... or like the 2004 Tsunami in malaysia ... folks just standing around with the good ol' "wait n see" mentality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2M-pHOIpwo&NR=1

Plenty of time to act, later. Yea. Let's just wait and see :rolleyes:

17. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "If anything, by consuming less energy and using renewable sources, our economy becomes less dependent on non-renewable sources such as Middle East oil. That fact alone got me sold on the whole CO2 reduction thing."

EXACTLY!

"However, one can still aim for the ideal and hope that *some* change"

Full agreement. I may not think GW is something we can do anything about, but I am still glad to see people use it as their reason for supporting change. I don't understand why all the denialists spend so much time, money, and emotion calling GW a fraud, if it leads people to the same end point of removing the grip OPEC has on our balls!

18. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "If anything, by consuming less energy and using renewable sources, our economy becomes less dependent on non-renewable sources such as Middle East oil. That fact alone got me sold on the whole CO2 reduction thing."

EXACTLY!

"However, one can still aim for the ideal and hope that *some* change"

Full agreement. I may not think GW is something we can do anything about, but I am still glad to see people use it as their reason for supporting change. I don't understand why all the denialists spend so much time, money, and emotion calling GW a fraud, if it leads people to the same end point of removing the grip OPEC has on our balls!

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you HyCamguy.

<div align="center">[attachmentid=11388]!!.28%!![attachmentid=11388]</div>

Are those numbers large enough for you F8L? Sorry but it's the best I can do on this board. :rolleyes: :p

Wildkow

Attached Files:

20. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you HyCamguy.

<div align="center">[attachmentid=11388]!!.28%!![attachmentid=11388]</div>

Are those numbers large enough for you F8L? Sorry but it's the best I can do on this board. :rolleyes: :p

Wildkow