1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your Favorite Starship Enterprise Captain

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Chuck., Feb 20, 2007.

1. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I voted Kirk. Picard did a fine job too , but again it was two different decades. Since we are only talking Star Trek.

Each captain added their own style element to each series, how ever Voyager & Deep Space 9 were the worst creations spawned from the series.... The newest show Enterprise is also good in its own fashion.

2. mrbogie

mrbogie New Member

I would vote Archer just becase he had the best looking science officer.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 20 2007, 07:00 PM) [snapback]393650[/snapback]</div>
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 21 2007, 05:49 AM) [snapback]393863[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not a fan of Star Trek. I thought Shatner was one of the all-time worst actors ever to gain any sort of following. And I was revulsed by the underlying message of the original Star Trek: "Our enemies are pure evil and the only way to deal with them is to kill them all."

Patrick Stewart is a fine actor, and was much less the "cowboy."

On the other hand, for starship captains, I guess my favorite would be Zlaty Bartfast, even though his Bistromath space ship was nowhere near as imaginative as the Starship Heart of Gold. As a captain, he trumps them all. Malvin Reynolds (?) had a better crew than any of them, though.

4. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 21 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]393993[/snapback]</div>
    NOW you're talking my language, Daniel. I never watched Star Trek at any length, but damn if I don't love Firefly and Serenity, mostly because of Mal. I like his crew, too, but I really like him. Shame that show was dumped. Of course, I didn't watch it until after the movie came out, either!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 21 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]393993[/snapback]</div>
    Did you like the movie? I didn't think it was bad, but I really dug that series of books.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 21 2007, 10:43 AM) [snapback]393917[/snapback]</div>
    Sisko and Janeway can S*** my D***. Those shows were terrible. I watched a few episodes of DS9 before it really started to rub me the wrong way, but I couldn't take more than 5 minutes of Voyager.

Anyway, they're not captains of the starship "Enterprise" so even if you don't hate them with a passion, it's okay to leave them off this poll ;)

6. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 21 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]393747[/snapback]</div>
    Hillarious! :D

7. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 20 2007, 09:16 PM) [snapback]393747[/snapback]</div>
    Wow! I think its one of the signs of the Rapture. I might actually agree with something Stev0 said!

8. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stev0 @ Feb 21 2007, 12:16 AM) [snapback]393747[/snapback]</div>
    Classic!!!

While not a huge Trek fan, I voted for Picard simply because I'm a whore for Patrick Stewart. He was brilliant as as Sterling in Jeffrey.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Picard was more likeable as a borg :lol:

10. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Feb 21 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]393943[/snapback]</div>
    You can credit/blame Berman for that. Did you notice he is from NYC? ;)

11. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I voted Picard. Even as a child, there was something agonizing about watching Shatner overact, although at the time I could not have explained it.
    I do however, really like the Direct TV commercial Shatner's in - I thought that was pretty inventive.
    As for Picard, it's the same for me as Alan Rickman - I just really like the voice (it doesn't hurt that they're both superb actors).

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Picard, no question. Next Generation was much better than the original. I never caught on to DS9, but I didn't think Voyager was that bad. The Star Trek universe would not be complete without Seven of Nine. Too bad we never got to meet her bilingual older sister, Six. :p

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ Feb 21 2007, 09:47 AM) [snapback]394005[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I thought Mal was the least interesting character in the story. The guy with the machine gun and the girl's name was dispicable, but had character, and his stupidity was funny. The little girl was boring in the series, but she shone in the movie. Joss Whedon obviously likes the idea of small girls kicking big men around. The helmsman's wife and the mechanic were hot!

The Hitchhiker movie was okay, but the original radio show (which came out before the book) and the books, were the best. Neither the TV series nor the movie did them justice.

14. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Feb 21 2007, 02:58 PM) [snapback]394091[/snapback]</div>
    Part of what makes both of them superb actors is they know they don't have to overdo it. Alan Rickman is great as a villain because he knows that being quiet is more menacing than screaming.

15. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Schmika @ Feb 21 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]393881[/snapback]</div>
    Don't you mean priceline?

16. Wiyosaya

Wiyosaya Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    My vote was for Picard; however, I think writing has a LOT to do with the quality of a show. Watch the TOS episode "The City on the Edge of Forever," and, IMHO, you would realize that writing has a lot to do with a series.

Not to change the subject; I'm a long-time Doctor Who fan. I have known other people who are Doctor Who fans and it seems like many of those did not adjust very well each time the Doctor regenerated and was played by another actor. If anything, I credit the story writing for "bad performances" rather than an actor's ability. There are, IMHO, some superb episodes of Doctor Who throughout the entire series that definitely make the point that it is not entirely acting that makes those episodes good.

I'll also cite Babylon 5 as an example of superb writing. The fact that the commander changes after the first season was turned into an advantage in the storyline, as I see it. Now that Babylon 5 is getting a chance to continue with "The Lost Tales," Bruce Boxleitner is quoted as having said that he had not seen that level of quality writing since the original Babylon 5 series ended, and what he says gives me the impression that he really appreciated working with a "quality" writer. What he said kind of make me feel sympathetic to him and makes me guess that he was probably groaning all the way through "Snakehead Terror."

So, IMHO, if you get the chance to view "The City on the Edge of Forever," you get the chance to see Shatner at his best and what he could do with "quality" material.

In general, as I see it, TNG more well written than TOS and was, therefore, a much better series that gave Picard the edge captain wise.

All the best,
    Matthew

17. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Courtesy of Weird Al: "The only question I ever thought was hard, was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?" Music Video

It was actually a tough question for me, but I had to go with Kirk because I am Republican. :D Or maybe because I grew up watching the Kirk movies and didn't really get into TNG until adolescence. Watching the old school original is pretty entertaining, but TNG was the better series (seems like the movies were only okay though).

Acting wise-no doubt Stewart is a better actor, but I enjoyed Kirk's maverick attitude. Archer was a good match between Picard and Kirk in my opinion. Okay, now I am officially White and Nerdy.

18. jimmylozza

jimmylozza New Member

19. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I guess it depends upon who'd you want to serve under as a security ensign. :)

20. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius