1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your Opinion: Prius TWO or Prius TWO Eco?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by fsu23phd, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like rear wipers, but with the steeply raked Prius rear window, the blocked-out central strip, the lower glass never cleaned and encrusted with salt rime in the depths of winter, and with the wiper being a miniscule blade that sweeps such a small area, whether it's there or not becomes moot.

fsu23phd likes this.
  2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There's only one car I put money down on sight unseen and Toyota doesn't make it.

I suspect Twos & TwoEcos will be a dime a dozen when the ships start unloading. Test drive both cars and form your own opinion.

fsu23phd and The Electric Me like this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I've Personally blown out 2 tires (Buick ultra, mazdaspeed 3) as well as thier corresponding rims (one was repairable for around $200 and the other rim was trashed and cost lots of money due to the wonderful Pa potholes.. Had a couple other repairable flats as well since living out here. My wife had a blowout in our old Prius three due to a large rock in the roadway that was unavoidable.

Never had a flat with my Persona when I had it, granted I ran 44/42 psi with those low profile tires which I think made them more resistant to flating out on potholes) and Knock on wood no flats as of yet with the v.

Flats suck especially if you are away from civilization... So I guess it depends on your wants and needs.

On the flip side, that is the reason why I think the wiper is so useful. The amount of visibility we all know is limited due to the split rear window so add to that as you say salt covered rear window, that's when having a rear wiper with washer fluid is nice to have. It just gives you that extra bit of visability especially when conditions are not optimal. It sure beats not having one and trying to look out said salt covered rear window..

#23 Blizzard_Persona, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2016
    fsu23phd likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems like the lower glass, below the spoiler, gets a lot more rime build-up, due to it being vertical I think. The one time that wiper is worthwhile I think is with snow building up on the glass. Rolls Royce would be a wiper with blade that remains vertical, moves laterally across the glass, like one of this:

Capture.JPG

fsu23phd likes this.
  5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The reason why Prius 4 doesn't have a spare tire is because it's already too expensive and they wanted to cut the cost down a little. Toyota chose to not provide a spare-tire well in cars without a spare tire but provided extra cargo space. I wish they wouldn't do that so that people would have an option to buy a spare tire as an accessory.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i heard it was due to offsetting weight of other accessories.

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That was Honda's reasoning with Fit, at one point: the manual transmission had the spare, while the automatic sub'd a slime kit. Basically to drop the weight a bit, allow the automatic version to get slightly better mpg, stay in some category, and ultimately sweeten their bottom line.

But for a couple of hundred you could easily swap back to the temporary spare setup, the well under the hatch floor was compatible with both versions.

With the 4th gen Prius this is not easily done, unfortunately. I don't mind when folks tell me they know what's best for me. What does start to rankle: when they make sure to nix the alternatives.

jdonalds likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's going to be interesting to see what it looks like back there, between all the models.

9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    According to fueleconomy.gov, the difference in fuel savings is about $4 a month. I'd rather have the extra standard equipment on the Prius two.

10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Really? That's it? Oh wow! So like 10-11 years to make up the $500 surcharge assuming gas stays cheap. Plus no rear wiper or spare tire. o_O

I guess if gas skyrockets....

11. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Full size spare, Compact spare and No spare options are all shown in the 2016 Prius manual (See pdfs below).

I like the option with the Full Size spare. I don't really want a Compact spare and I really don't want one without a spare.

I really doubt that the sheetmetal is any different between the options. Even if the full size spare doesn't come standard in North American models, I assume it should be possible to get the necessary OEM inserts and covers to change to Full size spare .

Attached Files:

#31 energyandair, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I honestly think that's good advice.

I wouldn't bother or be pressured into putting a deposit down just to get one of the "first". I wouldn't make this decision sight unseen.
    I'd definitely want to see both, and I'd make my decision then.

I might be wrong, but I don't project the demand to be so great that once they start arriving at dealerships it's impossible to look at either or both.

Unless there was a tangible reason I needed one ASAP, I'd wait until I could see what I'm buying.

fsu23phd likes this.
  13. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Fuel efficiency is an option like leather, audio, window tinting, bumper guard, or an expensive paint color. What is the pay-back interval for them?

The one with the gold gets to choose and some of us value efficiency and spend time and money to accomplish it.

Bob Wilson

KrPtNk likes this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Totally agree. That's why I put the personal qualifier in my post.

bwilson4web likes this.
  15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yup. $500. It's pretty significant for a measly 5% boost in fuel economy. You can completely make up the added cost over a 120k mile ownership and purchase a spare off Craigslist. And that's if gas prices stay low. When gas does go up, your payback shortens. And you get the luxury of 3 door SKS and auto on/off headlights.

P.S. Notice what I did there?:)

16. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    If you are set on a 16, I would go up one step to a 3, in the long run the price difference won't matter and look at what you get.

bwilson4web likes this.
  17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Oh yea? And what is the pay-back period for all that car bling! <grins>

Sorry, 'low hanging fruit' and not personal.

Bob Wilson

mmmodem likes this.
  18. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    yeah, but I love bling, and I learned my lesson by owning a new 11 Prius 2. I think if I had sprung for a 4 I'd still have a Prius rather than an Avalon Hybrid (talk about bling) which I like very much.

bwilson4web likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i put $500. down on my pip, site unseen. and i had never driven a g3, let alone their first phev. i don't think you can make a mistake with prius. i wouldn't hesitate to do it on a g4.

krmcg likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep in mind that the tires on the Prius Two Eco may not last as long based on other owners on other vehicles with the same tire. Only time will tell to see how the Enasaves fare on the Prius. Early tire wear will offset the mpg savings.

jdonalds and mmmodem like this.