1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your plug-in system has malfunctioned

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tiberius, Jun 26, 2023.

1. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    While not expecting a new generation to have the great reliability of my last of the Gen 2 2009 Prius, I bought the 2023 Prime with the hope that Toyota's leadership in low manufacturing issues would continue to this beautiful new generation.

For years I touted the improved reliability of my Prius, and all the BEV folks were telling how getting rid of the engine improved reliability. Having worked in the software systems industry and seeing the increased system complexity of BEV, PHEV and HEV cars it didn't surprise me to see a recent headline claiming BEV owners are complaining about software and user interface reliability issues.

So far my 2023 Prius Prime XSE has been charged 39 times at 1.44kW rate (12A 120v) with garage temperatures between 80 and 90 degF, without issue. (Dr Prius claims battery temps are between 97 and 104 degF during charging.) And I too am complaining about the Toyota software - (Prime MPG figures are bogus, and Toyota App charge remaining and power charged values are bogus.)

2. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Any idea if this applies to the Canadian market too? Mine would fall under every other category except the Market in the PDF are USA and Mexico

3. MitchA

MitchA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    upload_2023-8-30_16-27-2.png

upload_2023-8-30_16-27-22.png

purplePriii likes this.
  4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

So does that mean if our Vin is after that number it should already have the updated charging port? My Vin is indeed after that numerically (I just checked my build sheet). My car is apparently at the port right now awaiting transport to the dealership shortly.

5. NonFormulaic

NonFormulaic Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I checked with the shop foreman…and the answer is “maybe.” The verdict is still out on “a software issue” (but of course) or a replacement of the charge unit. Has anyone with the VIN higher than 6173 reported this issue? Important info, I’d say. Thx in advance.

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  6. tovli

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    This is interesting as I have number 3124 Prime XSE which is within the TSB VIN numbers. The TSB remedy is only for cars that display the error, which mine has not yet. I have have charged at 1.44 kW 39 times and at 2.5kW once although that Level 2 charge was less than an hour with outside temperature at 94 deg F.

If this is primarily seen after a full Level 2 charge, perhaps I need to stress test my Prime.

7. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    At least in Europe it seems that they kinda stopped deliveries - eg cars have to be fixed before going to the dealer.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That's kind of speculation (and I'm responsible for a lot of it). There have been some apparent delays, but it may not be related, or even real delays.

It turns out some of the delay may just have been failure to notify cars making it onto a boat leaving Nagoya - my own car is now apparently already in Belgium, but if that's true, it wasn't held in Nagoya at all, and was on a boat 3 weeks before they sent the "on the way" notification.

Cars have still been held for delivery in France until mid-September, but I've seen suggestions that could be for type certification reasons.

9. NonFormulaic

NonFormulaic Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I just passed on the Prime…here in 110 degree temps in the So Ca Desert. Opted to a switch to a non Prime Prius Limited….which gets delivered to my home this afternoon. Hope I made a smart choice. Thx to all for your fine, objective help. Tuff decision.

10. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah - we will see. Here is one example where the car is hanging out for a longer time in belgium already (way past estimated delivery)

11. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Just to give everyone a rough idea on delivery and shipping times for already allocated Primes (USA anyways).

My Prime was Built 7-20-2023, Departed from Japan on 7-31-2023, and arrived at port (what port I don’t know, anyone know?) on 8-28-2023.

Edit: I just got a message from the dealership as I was typing this that my car will be at the dealer September 10 give or take a few days so earlier than expected which is awesome. Although I might not be able to get up there till the 15th that gives them time to get it detailed and ready for me ;)

MitchA, tovli, Louis19 and 1 other person like this.
  12. purplePriii

purplePriii Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You're amazing, thank you!

Mine is on a Level 1 exclusively. I think I've used a Level 2 twice and no error. It's about 100 deg F here I noticed I get the error when I plug it in to charge during the day like 1 PM or so. If I plug it in past 5 PM, I do not get the error. I've gotten it twice (4k and 7k miles) and both times I plugged it in between noon to 3 PM. The error went away about 2 days later. I kept using the car as normal and plugging it in and it just logs the error and clears the check engine. I'm trying to book an appointment and check for the T-SB or TCI and see which one I get, if any.

It definitely seems to be with heat and the sun shining on the car when it's hottest but that's my experience. My vin is before the first 1000. I also have the all weather mat for the trunk but I don't think there's any fan exhaust there.

13. tovli

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    I do not have a carpet or weather mat over the “carpeted” board. When I plug the car in to charge, I hear a quiet fan running. One time during the first few charging sessions, I opened the rear hatch and was surprised by a weak smell like burned styrofoam. I lifted the foam but could not see any evidence of melting or worse.

14. MitchA

MitchA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Congrats on the new vehicle. If this is your first new toyota take a look. While not the 2023 prius pre-delivery checklist, it gives you an idea of how much detail they put into making sure it's ready to go. (y) Enjoy!

Blizzard_Persona likes this.