1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your Prius Foot in the Relationship Door?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by karmavore, Dec 2, 2004.

1. techogurl

techogurl New Member

Does meeting someone on here and then going on vacation and including them as a part of it count?

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Clearly, TCD's story is the best. Had it been me, I'd have done as Wolfman suggested if I'd wanted to continue seeing the girl, but I'd have done as TCD did if I hadn't.

A friend of mine drives a 2001 Prius, and is terribly envious of my 2004. She wants to drive it. I told her, nobody drives my car but me. Then I added that if I had a gfirlfriend, of course I would not be able to refuse. But it didn't work. She still would not go out with me. That is, we've been friends for ages, and occasionally have lunch together, and invite each other if either has a party, but she won't "date" me.

Nobody here pays much attention as I drive by. I don't think anyone in Fargo knows what a Prius is. Once in a while I get a quizzical look, and rarely, a smile. I always mention the car in a conversation with a new aquaintance, but it never gets me anywhere. (The car gets me places, but the mention of it never gets me anywhere with girls.)

My left-leaning friends think it's great. But none of them is a single, straight woman in my age range.

3. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    daniel,

RE: "My left-leaning friends think it's great. But none of them is a single, straight woman in my age range."

I find it very interesting that almost everyone assumes that I am of a certain, extremely left leaning political persuasion. In fact, I think that sometimes people avoid taking about the Prius because they think I am going to launch into some sort of environmental diatribe.

Earlier this year, I was amazed by how many people assumed that I was a Kerry supporter because of the car I drove. Actually, I can’t tell the difference from one politician or another... And, I do not respect or support any of them! Hmmm, maybe I could work up a good rant after all…

I’m actually a 54 year old guy who appreciates an automobile that is both efficient and interesting. I don’t baby or obsess over my car although it’s OK with me if you want to pamper yours. And, as with most people, it is impossible to sum me up in a sound bite or two. Unfortunately, many people want to go through life with the “Cliff Notes†in their back pocket. For me, life is much to rich to simply rush to the end, reading all of the books by their covers…

Ps I really like your signature!

4. karmavore

karmavore New Member

Everything counts on PriusChat!

But TCD gets the points I promised -- I mean, that's a pretty goshdarn funny story.

Brad

5. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    TCD: Yep. A good way to go wrong is to make assumptions about people. However, most of my friends are left-leaning and so appreciate the Kermit factor of the Prius. Thus, driving it would be an advantage in wooing them. But they're all either in relationships, or lesbian, or else much older or much younger than I am. And while plenty of folks around here are amazed by the technology of the Prius, a more conventional luxury or cult car would probably be a more effective girl magnet.

I got my sig from a t-shirt from Northern Sun. Most of my friends are left-leaning Democrats who are shocked when I say that Kerry is not all that different than Bush, or that the U.S. has never been even remotely democratic.

6. KCPrius

KCPrius Member

I work in health care and there are several college nursing interns at my office. When I got my Prius, all of them wanted to see it (or go for a ride in it). Without exception all were impressed. So I'd have to say that the car really IS a babe magnet....it's too bad though....I'm old enough to be some of those girls father. Oh, how I sometimes long for my lost youth.

7. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    While in possession of the Enterprise Rent-a-Prius, it deffinately proved not to be a dude magnet. :( Not that I was surprised... I was visiting an area where H2's and other large trucks are looked upon quite fondly, and I live in an area where Porches/Ferraris/RSX-S/TSX/BMW M3/etc are highly valued. Something as "slow, gutless and ugly" as the Prius is not cool. Although I see a lot of Prii around here nowadays, they are only driven by the middle-aged-and-up crowd, and thereby do not rate as "cool" by my age group. Screw that! Gimme my Prius! I don't expect to be able to pick up guys in my Prius, so I'll just have to woo them with my car knowledge. Or something.

...if anyone sees a short girl obsessing over your Prius while her friends are attempting to drag her away from it, that would be me and I'll be fine after a few mins. So don't panic. :lol: :mrgreen:

8. TimeFor

TimeFor New Member

My BMW, YES. My Jaguar, YES... O god Yes.... :) But the Prius? No.

I guess people my age are more interested in good looks, fast cars, and money... .Not saving the planet. When new people do see my car, and I haven't said anything... Most of them don't even know it’s a Hybrid. They like all the features... They like the MPG... But I find my self having to explain my car to people rather than having my car speak for it self… I don’t have this problem with my other two cars do.

Reply to Starbug
    -------------------
    I think your right. Prius is very nertural. Its not a Guy or Girl car. And most of the people driving them at middle age. Now I'm always checking chicks out on the freeway.... And the Hottest ones are always driving a awesome car.... Why Is that? The hottest, coolest girl I've ever seen... (Though I've never met her... but seen her in passing) was driving a New BMW M3 and she kicked my nice person on the freeway. I pulled up along side her. She looked at me, I looked at her... She took off. Then we friendly raced for about 20 miles before I had to change freeways. OOOO well. But I don't know... If I was in my Prius... and another prius wanted to race me... Sure... Thats cool too. Hasn't happened yet. So, I guess in a way... all this means is that it doesn't madder what your driving. Because your not going to pick up guys or chicks on the road. At some point, someone is going to go another direction. And your'll never see that person again.

-Jayson

9. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimeFor\";p=\"59659)</div>
    I am not sure that all young folk feel that way. Millage varies. My guess is that if you like the Prius, believe in the concept, embrace the environmentalism you will attract the person you will be comparable with. Just a theory. My wife thinks it is a good idea with too many gadgets. She seems to like me, after 30 years.

10. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimeFor\";p=\"59659)</div>
    One out of three isn't good enough, apparently, as I'm still single.

11. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :!: It is very likely that I qualify for the 'OLD CODGER' of PriusChat at 75 attained years - so far. I would also qualify as one of many "Technophiles" herein. I am also a licensed pilot and currently well-qualified computer type.

My how priorities change! No longer is an auto a phallic symbol or a means to attract a member of the opposite gender. (Would you want someone who admired your car instead of you?) No longer is there a need to 'prove' anything with our means of transport. My Prius is an expression of my interest in its technology, fuel economy and a way to help preserve our vanishing environment. In one small way it also reduces the dollars we send to OPEC putting those dollars in my pocket.

My 2¢ worth...

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I did not buy my Prius to get girls. I bought it for the Kermit factor and the techno-geek factor and because it is nice to drive. But if I thought there was a car that would get me a girl, I'd buy it. Where have all the gold-diggers gone?

13. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel\";p=\"59755)</div>
    :lolup: :rofl:

The guys I know aspire to be "house husbands" and let their girlfriends/wives earn all the money.

As a side note, I did not use my Prius to pick up my guy... I've been stuck with him for a while now. But he would have bought a Prius last fall, had he been able to go 3 months without a car.

14. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(betshsu\";p=\"59787)</div>
    :lolup: :rofl:

The guys I know aspire to be "house husbands" and let their girlfriends/wives earn all the money.

As a side note, I did not use my Prius to pick up my guy... I've been stuck with him for a while now. But he would have bought a Prius last fall, had he been able to go 3 months without a car.
    [/b][/quote]

I find this is a new trend with the males these days.. myself included in a way. I really don't mind taking care of the house and cooking and etc... but i would have to have some sort of income or house or i would just feel bad.

15. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"V8Cobrakid)</div>
    Really?!? I honestly hadn't noticed, since I'm not seeing anybody. Every guy I know is either married or already has a girlfriend, and they all have steady jobs.

*wonders* Where have all the single guys gone?!?!

16. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Funny.. i used to wonder where all the single woman have gone.. like now since it's Christmas.. where did they all go? oh yeah.. with their boyfriends.

17. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Damn, V8... that's been my very thought ALL day today and yesterday! Valentine's Day will suck for the same reason..... *sigh*

...maybe you and I should start a PC Single's Club. Heh.

18. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i already braught that idea up to Danny.. he thinks so.. just.. has not go around to it.. lol.. many of my ideas take time.

19. Starbug

Starbug New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Now that you mention it, I think I do remember seeing you post something about that once. There have been one or two threads lately about single Prius owners looking for another single Prius owners. Seems like a topic that could stick around for quite a while if Danny does start such a thing. Your suggestion was a good one! *nod nod*

20. V8Cobrakid

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it was me mentioning it every time :) lol