1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Your tips & experiences w/ achieving high MPG

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by nordiska, May 20, 2013.

1. nordiska

nordiska Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Guapo (my '13 PC) and I are still getting to know one another... it'll be one week tomorrow. I've been reading a number of posts on here about the different types of Prius "driving styles" and tips to get higher than average MPG, but I was hoping some of you can share your thoughts and experiences on how to achieve the best MPG, specifically in regards to human driving behaviour (as opposed to the temperature outside).

For example, do you feel pulse and glide works for you? I feel like it's not that efficient, especially since when I do it, a bar is subtracted on my "cruising score" and my overall ECO score goes down a point or two. Or sometimes I see that my ECO score is relatively low, let's say in the 40s, but my MPG is up to 60+, so it seems like these two variables have an inverse relationship. (n)

I watched a video recently in which a guy "pulsed" the PC to about 37 mph and then just let the car "glide" but it said that you should be able to glide for a "while", but when I did it the car just immediately started to slow down. I could obviously be doing something incorrect by getting the wrong impression from the video. :unsure:

In any case, I'm sure I'm not the only newbie who's asked questions like these, but I would love to learn from your personal experiences concerning what works or not when experimenting with the most eco-friendly or hypermile method of driving the PC.

Thanks! :)

2. minkus

minkus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you're getting 60+ mpg round-trip after less than a week, you're doing very well.

I don't pay attention to the ECO scores. They don't seem to be very helpful except for people who don't know that they shouldn't accelerate to stops and then slam on the brakes.

When you're gliding, how far down are you pushing the gas pedal, as indicated by the eco meter? On 35 mph streets, I generally pulse to 39-42, then "glide" with about 1/3 of the electric portion of the eco meter until I'm at 33mph, then repeat (based on traffic, upcoming stops, hills, etc.), while anticipating stops far ahead and minding my SOC. In good weather, this gets me anywhere from 65-75 mpg on my 14-mile round-trip to work. I just today beat my record, getting 77.9 mpg on the way home (according to the car, so actually around 75 mpg).

Is the video you watched this one?

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I found that during the first few months of my C ownership, I did not have much luck at all with the glide technique... in fact, I had given up trying and was shifting into neutral for short distances at speeds under 50 MPH. However, now I can glide for a mile or two at a time and probably spend nearly as much time in glide as I do running ICE or EV some days.

minkus likes this.
  4. citroenjohn

citroenjohn Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've had my C2 for about two months now. It seems to get good mileage regardless of driving style, of course, I've never driven it like a race car. Pulse and glide improves mileage quite a bit. Having said that, driving a little slower and paying attention to traffic signals and upcoming stop signs will improve MPG figures dramatically. As a 50 year city semi-truck driver veteran I am always amazed at the number of people who race to a stop sign or red light. If you observe traffic lights you can often figure out what's going to happen and avoid stops. Also pay attention to Walk/Don't Walk signs, if it turns to Don't Walk you're more likely to get a red light and might opt to slow down in anticipation of a stop. Of course you pay attention to traffic to the rear in order to avoid making some driver go postal. Paying attention to what's happening ahead will mean you are a safer driver and your C will reward you with better MPG than it's supposed to. I've said it in prior posts, I love this car, so much better and more fun than my prior car an Audi A4!!!

minkus and RocMills like this.
  5. Jake123

Jake123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Accelerating and decelerating as slowly as possible will result in higher mpg. At first, I thought "pulse" meant to get up to speed fast, but this will just ruin your mpg because the ICE is working harder. When gliding, press the gas pedal slightly so it isn't regeneratively coasting. If the road is flat, you will still slow down. In this case give it more gas pedal (keeping it in EV) to stay at speed. At any point you like (especially when there is flat or decline road), let off the gas pedal quickly and it will switch to EV for you. Also, there is a sweet spot when it will be better to use the ICE when going up an incline, but it can take a while to figure out.

RocMills likes this.
  6. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If you're in EV/stealth mode don't run at 100% output from the battery, 50-75% gives almost the same oomph and uses that much less power.

P&G works in EV/stealth mode too.

I drive in a lot of residential neighborhoods with low speed limits (or school parking lot, 10 mph limit and >1/2 mile in and the same out) where I can't really push it hard enough for the ICE to kick in much. The battery still takes from your MPG to use, so treating it a lot like the ICE when you are on it helps keep those overall MPG numbers up.

minkus likes this.
  7. I think that hills with traffic are the hardest to negotiate, because each time it's a little different depending on whether people drive faster or slower, or someone pulls out in front.

If anyone has advice for maintaining high fuel economy with rainy highway driving (no choice this weekend, stupid weather forecast totally flipped from sun, to ongoing rain... and wind... >_< ) I already go 55mph anyway