1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

YouTube videos about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Video Description
    Top Gear tests the Toyota Prius and have some less than choice words for it.

Top Gear Prius test
    You must have Adobe Flash installed to view it.

The above video came from YouTube.com

Check out what else YouTube has about the Prius and enjoy all those videos. Some are good and some are down right pathetic. :) You have been warned. :p

YouTube videos about the Prius

Cheers

Edit: stop the presses......here is another one

Prius automatic parking

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The thing is, Jeremy Clarkson doesn't believe that hybrids get the advertised mileage and thinks owners are bluffing when quoting numbers.

3. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 10 2006, 11:20 AM) [snapback]283864[/snapback]</div>
    He is no expert. Why should I respect his opinion? But I think watching videos about the Prius on your computer is neat. So, that is the reason I shared those links.

Oh, and because that 2nd link is a search for Prius on YouTube.com that list of videos should get bigger over time. Should be interesting to see what people will come up with. Heck, maybe PriusChat people should enter some videos about the Prius. :)

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Top Gear": Yep, goes to prove that some people just don't get it. You can give them all of the information and facts in the world, but if in the end they choose to warp that information to suit their pessimistic world, that's their choice, I guess.

The host comes across as a Simon Cowell wannabe.

5. bigj3347

bigj3347 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    While I understand our negative reaction to any criticism of the prius. Keep in mind that Europe has not taken to the prius as much as the United States has. The guy in the clip, i don't know his name, has driven A LOT of nice cars. He is an expert in that sense. He is by no means an expert on hybrids, and you could obviously tell his bias against it. Reviews like these are probably why diesels are selling better in Europe than over here. I found it interesting that he never mentioned the sks, bt, nav, etc. All features that you would not find on a car at a comparable price. You mgiht find it in a BMW 7 series but not ont a $25,000 car. Perhaps Europe in general has a genuine interest in protecting their own automobile industry and are decidely biased against foreign competition. I don't know, i'm just guessing here.

6. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 10 2006, 12:40 PM) [snapback]283877[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, he is a nit. And, I have seen other videos with him, and it's obvious that he has a lead foot.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ Jul 10 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]283941[/snapback]</div>
    His name is Clarkson and he is well known in the UK as a TV motormouth who represents a kind of 'boy racer' section of the motoring public. The Prius he was driving must have been a 2003 model, according to the number plate, so this video may be 2-3 years old. Note that the 43MPG he said he got on his 70MPH trip would be about 35 MPG with USA gallons which is very low so clearly his figures are either wrong or he couldn't drive a Prius properly. It's noteworthy that he did not mention other economies you get with a Prius - very low annual road tax and freedom from the London congestion charge.
    You may have noticed he pronounced Prius to rhyme with 'Try us". I think on PriusChat we generally accept it should rhyme with "see us". Or do we?

I'm pretty sure there is no European bias against foreign cars, as this post suggests. Japanese cars are very common on the roads here and so are Fords which incidentally now have a high reliability rating from the main Consumer Association - "WHICH?"

Anyway a very nice selection of Prius videos and thanks for mentioning the site.

8. kDB

kDB New Member

i'm sure it was a 2004. he mentions the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" which came out in 2004. i assume this was done soon after.

as for his comments, i agree with a few of them, yes maybe three. but... if you notice he keeps calling the car slow, but he also keeps saying he's not a lead foot. well which is it? if you weren't a lead foot, you wouldn't be so bothered by how "slow" the car is. the only video i've ever seen him do that wasn't of a sports car, was one on the hilux, and it wasn't about driving. if you have ever watched any of his other videos, you know he is all for power.

i pronounce it pree us. see here

9. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jul 10 2006, 01:41 PM) [snapback]283964[/snapback]</div>
    Good to get feedback from someone in the UK (Europe). Thanks.

10. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The thing is I am getting about 40-42mpg on our Prius. We live on a hill so not complaining. Also there are rattles and some cheapness about the car. Since there are so many more diesels in UK I imagine fuel is handier to buy. I'm sure some diesels easily beat the Prius. It is quiet when in electric mode and that "danger" fact has been discussed here a few times I recall. I don't see too many things wrong with the review. There is another video of him and an Audi V8 diesel getting 50 mpg. Here's the link to that one:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=top+...s&search=Search

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Pree-us" or "Pry-us" seem to work either way. The Europeans tend to use the latter.

12. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jul 10 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]284059[/snapback]</div>
    I must admit.....

Very entertaining. The drama of it all. I was biting my fingers until the end. (I won't give away the end)

:D :D :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 10 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]284066[/snapback]</div>
    Until I heard this video I had never heard the car pronounced "Pry-us". Is that the norm for England and other european countries?

Everyone from across the pond....out with it. :D

Cheers

13. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jul 10 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]284059[/snapback]</div>
    Remember ... those are Imperial gallons. About 1.2X the U.S. gallon.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Either way, that's still good for a V8 full-size luxury car.

The BMW 120d that Transport Canada has in its fleet does 5.7L/100km in their real world travels (That's 42mpg I think.. roughly). Not bad for a car that also does 60 in ~8 secs.

15. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I may be wrong, but could it have been he had not converted the gallons to liters? In the video, the screen says 'MPG' which I would have thought he would have in Liters. Again, I may be wrong. Then later, he points out what he got with the diesel VW, and maybe then, he was quoting MPL, which would be higher?

Maybe I am wrong. But either way, he sure seem biased.

16. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jul 10 2006, 10:02 PM) [snapback]284204[/snapback]</div>
    I'm fairly sure they use gallons in the UK... for some reason, they haven't gone metric.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They're using MPG Imp.

I like the fact he quoted the Lupo 3L... cause it's 1 litre, it's a diesel, manual, smaller than a Golf, slower than a Golf TDI and obviously less features (think sub-sub compact area). Yes, it probably still has power windows and such but ya.. basic necessities and nothing extraneous. Might I add, the Lupo is now discontinued, replaced by the Made-In-Mexico Fox.

18. rlongenbach

rlongenbach New Member

Don't forget that diesel at least here in the US is going through some changes!

Shell has already posted the "don't use this diesel for 2007 or newer model cars or engines". I guess we're going to a zero sulfur diesel fuel this year.

So, like E85, will be...impossible to find.

19. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jonnycat26 @ Jul 10 2006, 10:28 PM) [snapback]284260[/snapback]</div>
    Petrol is sold in litres (pump price is now about £0.97 per litre) but many drivers, probably most, refer in conversation to 'gallons'. The Prius (at least my 2005) is sold with MPG on the screen (imperial gallon) but I suppose this is easy to alter. I haven't tried.

The UK went metric officially some years ago. Food weights and quantities are sold in kilograms and litres, although as you line up at the cheese counter you'll hear most people ask for "half a pound of..." etc. But the scales are marked in grams and the customer will get the cheese priced in grams at so much a kilo.

Timber and other building materials are entirely metric but often referred to by users in imperial. For example I recently wanted to buy some new square paving slabs to match some older ones which were 2 feet square. So I go to the shop and ask for "2 foot slabs" and they are pointed out to me but they're marked 600mm and when I come to measure a new slab I find it's actually 60 cms square which is 1 cm smaller than 2 feet.

The surveyor who comes to your house to measure for new windows will call out the measurements in numbers such as "1030 x 1486". If you were born before about 1950 you'll wonder what the heck this means because you thought your window was around 3 feet x 5 feet. The surveyor's "1486' is of course 1.486 metres but he talks in millimetres. The plumber may still refer to "a four inch pipe" but the new pipes he buys will be 100mm, which is slightly smaller.

If you go in a pub to recover and you ask for a beer the barman will give you "a pint" unless you have asked for "a half". I've no idea whether this really is a pint or something near.

In short, it's all a bit muddled but on the whole it works and the situation is probably improving because kids at school are not taught using inches, feet, etc. although they'll still see "miles" on road signs and they'll refer to speeds in "miles per hour". The speed limit in built-up areas is still "30 MPH"

20. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I watched the Prius segment and the Audi, 800 mile segments.

Wow, he went without heat for a couple of really cold days, he went the speed limit and maybe slower taking on inclines, he didn't stop along the way, etc. for the Audi test. Yet, I imagine he did lots of things - A/C on, jack rabbit starts and stops, etc. - to reduce the Prius mileage.

The guy is entertaining, but I won't take his word on hybrid evaluations.