1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

YouTube videos about the Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Three60guy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that's basically it. Watch Top Gear for its entertainment value. Watch Fifth Gear if you actually want to know/learn something.

2. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigj3347 @ Jul 10 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]283941[/snapback]</div>
    Actually I believe it is because many more Europeans already drive cars that are much more fuel efficient that the average American--that is because every European country charges vast amounts of tax on fuel, so the price per gallon (imperial or american) or liter (or litre) has long (if not always) vastly more expensive than here. And lots of people can't afford to run one car, much less the multiples that so many of us take for granted. Manual transmissions are also, for the same reason, much more common. They've already got a head start on us on not abusing fossil fuels simply because they can, so, I imagine, the Prius just is not as much of a revelation there as it is here. Just a thought...I was born in the US, lived in Canada from 8-19, and lived for about 2 years in England, so I am kinda multilingual when it comes to stuff like this...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jul 10 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]283964[/snapback]</div>
    The "other economies" are indeed the difference, I believe, in the "true" value of Hybrids, and, just as US consumers are focusing on only certain key points, these reviews are focusing on others. From which side of the pond one is looking does indeed change the view! And, yes, while it seems the generally accepted pronunciation is Pree-us, the English called the television series DINasty, while we said DIEnasty...so I suspect that that was just the telly presenter being snooty! ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Jul 11 2006, 03:08 AM) [snapback]284352[/snapback]</div>
    Oh dear, Oxo--haven't you noticed? The glasses in pubs still DO say "pint." And, from what I have heard (and seen) from my friends there, god help the brewery that even TRIES to sell beer in litres or fractions thereof. All else may well be metric, but no one has yet succeeded in separating the Englishman (or woman) from his (or her) pint! I don't know about the bottles or cans you buy in shops, but the pubs, bless them, still work with pints on draught (or draft). And, just to keep it clear for the Americans...that is the IMPERIAL pint, or 20 ounces to our 16. So, when you are at a pub over there, it isn't ONLY that the beer is stronger--you are drinking more of it![​IMG]

3. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 12 2006, 02:56 AM) [snapback]284852[/snapback]</div>
    No- I hadn't noticed, but I expect it's in 7-point type or smaller. I'm sure you're right. I've just looked at some beer cans in my cupboard and there seem to be two standard sizes 330ml and 500ml. (That's about a third of a litre and half a litre.) No mention of pints! So the breweries are selling in metric, but not the pubs. I think bottled beer is also marked in fractions of a litre.
    Incidentally I think you'll find that French beer is even stronger. Germans of course do sell beer in litre tankards!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Jul 12 2006, 02:56 AM) [snapback]284852[/snapback]</div>
    No- I hadn't noticed, but I expect it's in 7-point type or smaller. I'm sure you're right. I've just looked at some beer cans in my cupboard and there seem to be two standard sizes 330ml and 500ml. (That's about a third of a litre and half a litre.) No mention of pints! So the breweries are selling in metric, but not the pubs. I think bottled beer is also marked in fractions of a litre.
    Incidentally I think you'll find that French beer is even stronger. Germans of course do sell beer in litre tankards!

4. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member