1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yugo -- Worst Car ever?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was walking down the auto repair section of my local public library, heading for the collection of Chilton repair manuals, when this book caught my eye.

THE YUGO: UNABRIDGED - JASON VUIC, ERIK SYNNESTVEDT - Google Books

So, I checked it out and am about halfway through it. Very interesting read. Very interesting. I actually dated a woman in the 1980s that bought one of these things. I remember driving it. I especially remember that we ended up replacing the stock gas tank cap with a rubber cap from a pipe supply company -- though I do not remember why.

I broke up with Linda and continued driving my Toyota Tercel. She died of cancer a few years later (pretty young, in her mid-20s) -- some would have concluded the Yugo had something to do with it (exhaust in the vehicle, etc.), but, of course, that seems like a pretty stupid claim -- and I hereby for all attorneys -- state I do not believe the Yugo had anything to do with her death.

But, one thing I found interesting is that evidence that the Yugo was by far NOT the worst car ever. Indeed, the author puts forth that Mendel's and Tidewater's country (Canada) has approved many worse vehicles for sale to the public.

Good read if anyone is interested....

Q. How do you double the value of a Yugo?
    A. Fill the tank with gas!

Q. Why does a Yugo have rear a window defroster?
    A. To keep your hands warm as you push it.

How can you get a Yugo to do 60 miles an hour?
    Push it over a cliff.

A man walks into an auto parts store and says,
    "I'll take a gas cap for a Yugo"
    "Sounds like a fair trade"

#1 Stevewoods, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tidewater :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Stevewoods likes this.
  3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Tidewater -- Tideland -- what's the diff. :p

But, I do apologize! (y)

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not too late to edit(y).

5. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ah, the Canadians seems to have a fair sense of humor. Let it stand. They can blast me. :)

Wait, isn't that blanket statement of mine, not P/C (politically correct, not PriusChat) -- labeling one group based on a single -- probably false -- assumption....YEP....heck with it. :ROFLMAO:

Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bet they take a shine to those that are close to the 49th parallel ;).

I have a cousin who had a Yugo back in the day. Probably the worst car they ever owned. But they come from a Ford family (the in-laws were Ford dealership employees), so they had some doozies over the years:eek:.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll see your Yugo and raise you a Trabant P50/600 for the title "worst car ever."

Both cars were built in similar conditions, but at least the Yugo was a copy of something that sort of kind of worked (Fiat) where the Trabby was just utter garbage. Sometime around 1989 they added a differential for true two (front) wheel drive. Previously it was propelled by just one wheel; left turns done in 2nd gear and right turns in 3rd.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    VW LUPO was quite a contraption... and surprisingly, one of the first "competitors" with Prius. That car was a joke, a clumsy excuse for efficiency. But not being offered here in the United States made it greenwash fodder for quite awhile.

#8 john1701a, Nov 4, 2018
  9. t_newt

t_newt Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There's a murder mystery movie starting Bette Midler and Danny DeVito called Drowning Mona. The interesting thing about the movie is that everyone's car in the movie is a Yugo, and, of course, the Yugos are a key part of the plot. It was filmed in Verplank, New York, where the Yugo was introduced to the US.

I can't imagine where they got enough working Yugos to make the movie.

#9 t_newt, Nov 4, 2018
    Stevewoods likes this.
  10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Consider the Subaru 360, you know you have a bad car when Consumer Reports considers it Not Acceptable. Subaru 360 - Wikipedia
    Just because it was not required to meet safety standards, does not mean it was safe. Rather the opposite. Suicide doors, and 0 to 60 in 37 seconds (Over three times slower than a Prius)
    It was imported into the US with the advertising slogan "Cheap and Ugly".

11. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    VW Rabbit, the worst car I ever owned.

12. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I have to quit drinking the brandy my wife bought to make Christmas gifts of Kahlua....and when....or if....I do....I will thumb through the book and give examples of the cars the author claims make the Yugo look like a prize....

But, based on my brandy-fumed memory, I think a few of those mentioned by posters above (except for the Rabbit) were ones that MAY have been mentioned by the author as sub-par.

I do recall there were a LOT of bad comments about at least one Subaru model, but IIRC, Subaru was then sold and things changed, or not. Again, a 60-year-olds memory.

Me-self, the worst car I ever personally owned was a 1972 Chevy Vega, purchased in 1975 for $800. The car seems to have gone for about $2250 brand-new.

Motor Trend said in its September 1999 50th Anniversary Issue: "The Vega seemed well placed to set the standard for subcompacts in the 70s, but it was troubled by one of the most vulnerable Achilles heels in modern automotive history; an alloy four-cylinder engine block that self-destructed all too easily, and all too often.

#12 Stevewoods, Nov 4, 2018
    Salamander_King and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't imagine a worse car than my my awful 1976 Chevy Chevette I bought new for $3,000. Not too many years later, a deer finally put that car out of its misery.

14. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

I also had a 1972 Vega notchback, dark green. Purchased used for $400, I quickly learned how to patch rusting body panels. I also had transmission troubles and fortunately, the Opal had the same tranny and was an easy swap. I also had trouble with the electric fuel pump inside the gas tank. It clogged regularly. I discovered it was prone to get water on the sock filter that covered the fuel pump. I had to drop the tank and use high pressure air to blow the water off the sock. That water barrier was stronger than the fuel pump. It taught me to never let the fuel level on any of my vehicles get below 1/4 (on purpose)

It was my 3rd vehicle after a 63 and 66 VW Beetle (bullet proof). It was fast and fun to drive compared to the bugs and it was a kid's car. It also had a real heater compared to the VW's.

#14 Mark57, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Salamander_King likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That was my first car I bought while I was in college, though not sure of the year. Bought it $300 used, drove it 2 years, and sold it for $30 to a friend at the end. Not a bad deal for a poor college student I was back then. It was originally Vega Orange like the one in the pic, but I spray painted black.
    Yeah, that alloy cylinder burned oil like hell. I remember a trip I drove it home ~1,000 miles one way over christmas vacation, the car used more 10W30 oil than gasoline. I think I ended up using a case of oil for that trip. LOL:ROFLMAO:

std_76vega-orange.jpg

#15 Salamander_King, Nov 5, 2018
    Mark57, Stevewoods and Raytheeagle like this.
  16. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I like the drip catcher in the photo:LOL:.

Very fitting(y).

Stevewoods and Salamander_King like this.
  17. RoadNoise

RoadNoise Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    At least some of you had the sense to buy your Vega used. Bought mine new in 1971. By 50,000 miles I was on my third engine. Met my future wife in 1977 and what was she driving? A Chevy Monza...basically a redesigned Vega. What a hot, steaming pile. Thankfully, it was totaled by a drunk driver while parked in front of my house. I've not owned a Chevy since.

18. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Owed two Chevy's -- the classic '57 Bel Air, which my father took away from me and sold because I was sneaking into the house at 4 a.m. after spending most of the night in the backseat of the Bel Air -- and the Vega.

Then I owned two Fords -- a 1962(?) Custom and a 1963 (?) Falcon. Custom I bought for $100 in 1978 and the Falcon, I got for free in 1982 (it was a death trap). The front seats were anchored on pieces of two-by-fours, with door hinges, so the seats could be lifted forward -- they literally tilted all the way forward. If the dash was not in the way, they would have put you face first on the floor of the car. And, of course, no seatbelts.

Picture a panic stop or a collision in that Falcon. The seats would have literally rocketed you forward and through the window -- sort of an ejection seat set-up.

I drove that for about a year until the right passenger side wheel assembly (?) fell off after I crossed over a pothole.

Next car was a 1979 Datsun B210 -- reliable -- easy to work on, but a true econo-box with no power. Paid about $1800 in 1983.

After the Fords, I never looked to a domestic maker ever again.

#18 Stevewoods, Nov 5, 2018
  19. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We've had a few bad cars over the years.

Worst purchased used? A 1978 Toyota Corona that would have been flagged under a lemon law if such laws existed then. We were newlyweds in desperate financial shape when our little 1975 Honda Civic quit on us and my sister was desperate to get rid of her Corona (we sure found out why!). That Corona wound up costing us more monthly in repairs than car payments on a new Civic.

Worst new car? 1987 Dodge Aries K wagon. Even with routine dealer maintenance the car's systems simply disintegrated in the first two years. Brake problems, major oil leaks, electrical problems, noisy suspension, etc. It was just a lousy car.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  20. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It is now available in the US via the 25 year law, who will be the first to import?

1998 VW LUPO now legal to import due to 25 year rule | TDIClub Forums