1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Z-Maxx treatment

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by carpedal, Aug 22, 2017.

1. carpedal

carpedal Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do not normally endorse commercial products, nor do I sell products. I wish to relate a recent experience. I have a 2011 hatchback with 63K miles. I had to make a run from Fairfax County, Northern Virginia to Radford VA down I-81. I have previously used Z-Maxx oil treatment in two other older cars to no noticeable effect, and I wanted to experiment. I added a bottle of Z-Maxx oil treatment right before I left. The two fill up's were calculated at 47.8 and 47.0 MPG. Tuesday August 21, I drove down to South Carolina for the eclipse. As a comparison, I had driven to Florida down I-95 in March and April, with South Carolina as my overnight halfway point. The March, April numbers calculated out to be 42.6, 42,1, 42.7, 42.6 MPG. Remarkably, the August numbers were 48.4, 47.9 MPG. Speed ranged 70-80 MPH with some cruise control time in all cases. The question remains, at $26 a bottle, is it worth it?

#1 carpedal, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure what Z-Maxx is, or contains.

Guessing it could be this : zMAX Engine Formula | zMax Micro-lubricant

Website says it sells for $19.95 (suggested retail price, but found it online for under MSRP), so it might not be the same product that you used in the above.

You are gaining about a 10% increase in MPG, which at $3 a gallon would take 6 (or more) tanks of gas to pay for a single treatment- assuming you maintained the same increase in MPG.

Is this treatment once every Xx miles or something you need to do every oil change?

How many calculated tanks have you observed with an increase in MPG before it fell back into the normal range?

Except for some random PEA treatments in the gas, I don't use additives- though I am always open to ideas and of course others experience with such.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. carpedal

carpedal Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Around town mileage is only 1-2 MPG better. I assume pulse glide contributes to less gas use, so less mileage improvement. Overall, pure economic benefit does not offset added cost of treatment. There are those who pursue better fuel economy regardless of cost, however. I do not intend to use zMAX oil treatment at every oil change. Zinc is not considered to be an essential oil additive for engine longevity, wear and tear. Again, there are those who pursue any perceived advantage, real or not.

4. wnovak

wnovak New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The problem here is that the two trips can't be compared. If you had a breeze blowing 10 miles an hour out of the North on one trip and 10 miles an hour out of the South on the other trip, you'd see a big difference in mileage for no apparent reason.
    I once drove from South Bend Indiana to Cleaveland Ohio and got almost 60 miles per gallon at turnpike speeds. But the wind was blowing a full gale out of the West.

Bill

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tande and SFO like this.