1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino On The Way!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Wynder, Jan 10, 2006.

1. moolman

moolman Member

Zaino doesn't damage plastic, regular wax doesn't either, so don't sweat it and just wash it off if it gets on there after you finish. This stuff isn't toxic. :lol:

Alex

2. highlander1010

highlander1010 New Member

I wish I were as knowledgeable and not so lazy. We're going to get our new Pri detailed professionally this spring (in and out). Does anyone know a reputable, knowledgeable place near Seattle? :blink:

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is no point to claying a car that doesn't need it. And unless the suface contamination is really bad (bad enough that you can see the embedded contaminants), you can't tell by just running your bare hand over the surface.

Do the baggie test (put your fingers inside a thin sandwich bag and lighly brush your fingertips over a freshly washed and dried section of the car). Only then will you know whether your car needs to be clayed. Any tests done with your bare hand are worthless.

4. aussiedog

aussiedog New Member

Has anyone tried the Z-12 window cleaner on their Prius? There is a warning about testing it on a small portion of the window before using. So, before I invest, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I bought the window stuff: after using the other products on the Zaino line my expectations were high, but I really didn't see much (improvement, durability, etc) to brag about. Not like I like to talk up the other Zaino products. Chalk it up to lack of experience in this area. Others here talk about RainX? or something like that.

(I think the zaino cleaner is meant only for the outside. For inside and out I do use something called Liquid Glass, by stoner. I like it a lot as a general cleaner. I use it on my monitors in the office as well. stoner claims via phone call that it is safe for tinted windows.)

6. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Yea.. thats why I ordered it.... in this colder weather it will take forever to cure without it.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you go to their site and to to "testimonials".. then hit Ctl F and do a search for glass you will see all the oomments about it.....

It was good enough that I bought some of that too.. I hate spotty glass..

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea.. the ZX replaced the Z1

And the Z2 pro replaced the Z2

9. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered mine today too and its already shipped the same day!

ZFX ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive 1 $19.95 $19.95
    Z-2 Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish for Clear Coated Car Finishes 1 $14.95 $14.95
    Z-7 Z-7 Show Car Wash 1 $8.95 $8.95
    Z-8 Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal 1 $19.95 $19.95
    Z-9 Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner 1 $8.95 $8.95
    Z-10 Z-10 Leather in a Bottle 1 $10.95 $10.95
    Z-12 Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish 1 $12.95 $12.95
    314 Zaino Custom Polish Applicator 1 $2.50 $2.50
    Subtotal: 8 $99.15

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They still sell Z1. Z1 is still useful when you need to apply a small amount of Z2 (like one body panel, or your headlight covers). Otherwise you end up being forced to mix way too much product.

11. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a very small scratch in the clearcoat.. probrably from flying debrie since the wind here is crazy... will Z2 take car of that or do I need to lightly buff it out with compound first?

Humm.. no one wanted to respond eh?

Is that because the answer is obvious? or no one wants to place thier opinion?

This scratch is barely visible without being in direct sunlight and looking at the right angle... I don't know if its deep enough to be seen after polishing or not...

but if I need to prep, I want to do it now.. not after I've applied Zaino?

Can someone give me a suggestion?

12. dmann1

dmann1 New Member

Based on recommendations on this forum, last week I placed a similar order for my new white '06 but I didn't order the clay. I've emailed Zaino customer service to ask if "claying" is needed on a new car, but have received no reply...it sounds like there are differing opinions on that here. If we decide to do it, does anyone think that it would be a problem to use a California Gold clay we already have on hand? I'm assuming that the products would be similar, but......

13. cdavid

cdavid Member

I sure each company claims in one way or another their clay is superior, but its probably minor, and most of the positive result is doing it thoroughly in 2x2 ft segments with a lubricant. You probably won't have alot of paint contamination since the car is new, but then again, claying a smooth surface won't take much time, and there always is some contamination there. Use your clay bar (if it is in good condition) then Zaino.

14. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is a test you can perform to determine if claying is necessary, it's called the "baggie test". Search for the word "baggie" and you will find it, I've described it many times.

15. dmann1

dmann1 New Member

Yeah, I'd seen those posts, the Zaino FAQ also mentions saran wrap. Not having ever done it, I didn't expect to know how "smooth" would feel, if a certain amount of texture would always be expected, etc. .... Second question, but probably belongs on another thread which I can't find for the life of me....considering covering the lights with 3M or something, but if I don't--handbook says to not wax/polish the lenses. I'm wondering if the spray-on wax that comes automatically with a touchless car wash will degrade the lenses. Obviously you would't want to use anything abrasive, but on those 15 degree days or when a touchless wash is better than no wash at all, are the chemicals in these sprays going to cloud the lenses?