1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino on windshield? or stick with Rain X

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cdavid, Dec 28, 2005.

1. cdavid

cdavid Member

My neighbor says to Zaino everything, including the glass. Do you guys really do this? Does it make the glass repell water like Rain X. Should I Zaino, Rain X, or use something else?

2. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

I use Zaino on the paint and Rain-X on the glass. I haven't tried Zaino on the glass yet. Rain-X works pretty well and requires fewer steps. :lol: Since I live in the Pacific Northwest, I apply Rain-X once a month to the windshield during the rainy season. Usually one application lasts an entire season on my side and rear windows but the windshield requires frequent applications for maximum effectiveness.

I am curious to hear what others are using on their glass.

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Zaino makes <a href=\'http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-12&Category_Code=Zaino\' target=\'_blank\'>a Glass Polish.</a> I've never used it, but if I were to Zaino my windshield, I'd think this is the product.

The trouble is that any surface, every surface, is bombarded with grit and contaminants that adhere to or etch the surface. The wiper blades "sand" the arc they swipe with the fine particulates wet winter driving brings. Rain-X adheres to the glass and anything on it to form a hydrophobic coating, so water doesn't want to stick to it. But the wipers keep sanding off the coating.

Zaino polish on paint has a similar effect, making the paint "smoother" and, hence, more specularly reflective and dirt resistant, so it looks great. The wash mitt and the pure cotton towel work just like the wiper on the windshield to remove the coating, so you have to apply more.

But the coating of Zaino on the paint wouldn't be the same as on glass, I believe.

4. Technogeek

Technogeek New Member

Ah, thanks Bill. It's good to know there is Zaino Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish. When I run low on my current Zaino products, I'll be sure to include Z-12 in my next order. So perhaps cdavid was asking if anyone has compared the use of Z-12 to Rain-X. Anyone?

5. cdavid

cdavid Member

The glass polish (Z12) would be the thing to use to take care of all the inevitable scratches that occurs as Bill described. The question is does it have hydrophobic properties like the Rain X. I think you would still need the Rain X on top of it, or some kind of sealant, be it rain x or Zaino, or something else to make the surface hydrophobic.

You shouldn't need the Z12 on a new car window.

The Zaino product that's used as the final "sealant" layer is what I'm wondering about. Does it perform like Rain X.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sal recommends Z-2 and Z-6 on glass. From another web forum:

Question:

Can / should I apply Zaino to windshield glass?

Answer from Sal Zaino:

Yes...
    Z-6 works great on clean exterior glass. It will leave a high polished finish that repels water and makes the wiper blades work better...
    Remember Z-6 is extremely concentrated, a little goes a long way.... Another Tip is... You can also use Z-2 on the exterior windows. The combination of Z-2 and Z-6 is awesome on exterior glass... and preferred by many of my customers....:)

Z-6 is also safe for use on aftermarket window tint.

7. cdavid

cdavid Member

I'll try it and report!

8. John in Portland

John in Portland New Member

So...????

Where's the report???