1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino, Wax, Protectants: Which One?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Rebound, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If all goes well, I'll replace my red Prius for a silver Plug-in Prius in about two months. Some silver Prii I see are dull-looking, while others are very shiny. Unfortunately, this Prius will not live in a garage, and will be parked in direct California sunshine all day while I'm at work. Nothing I can do about that.

Are there protectants I can buy when the car is new, such as Zaino or something, which will keep it shiny?

I also read that some window tints have UV protection, is that so? My eyeglasses don't darken when I'm in my 2010 Prius, so I believe there's already UV protection.

Thanks in advance.

2. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use Z-AIO, Z-5, Z-6 and Z-7. Not all at the same time like some people think. I love their product and it's super easy to use and lasts a long time. I'd suggest you call their customer support and let them select the right line up for your car and weather environment.

by telephone:
    732-833-8800 - For product questions or technical support only.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think Zaino products are excellent, but now, I am using Meguiars Ultimate line:Ultimate Liquid Wax, ultimate Detailer, Ultimate Wash & Wax on my 2012 Acura Tsx SE.

4. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    +1, for sure :rockon:

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius glass has pretty good UV protection from the factory, see attachment below. There are some metallic window tints that provide additional protection but they are spendy and may not be worth the extra cost over normal tint film.

Attached Files:

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On a car with great paint I love Zaino. It creates shine, is easy to apply and remove and lasts a long time.

Once paint has gone to hell I just use Meguiar's cleaner wax. lol

Not the greatest pic but Zaino really made this car shine!

[​IMG]

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've expressed this before in many other threads asking about products for paint protection:

I like Zaino best for paint sealant. I prefer Z-2 Pro for light colored cars and Z-5 Pro for dark colored cars. Even with Z-5, following up with Z-2 is great. Their Z-AIO is great for daily drivers where twice a year you want to remove oxidation and such.

For interiors as well as car wash soap and such I use Griots Garage products. They have a 100% lifetime warranty on what they sell and you can buy refills in Gallon sizes to refill their 35 oz bottles to save some money. Their spray on wax is great after washing the car. Simply spray the still wet paint once the car is washed (well, spray the panel you are drying at that time) and it leaves a slick protective barrier behind protecting and extending the life of any sealant like Zaino that is still on the paint.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will vote for Zaino products as being among the best, but the most important thing is to select some good product then actually use it.

9. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    While Zaino's is certainly a great Product Line, you won't go wrong with the Meguiars Ultimate line - like Sergiospl says.
    I have been using their Products (Ultimate Quick Wax) for about 3 years and have had very good results.

10. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here is one of my fav pics after Zaino application. I've shown it to several people that think it's some type of PhotoShop trick.

[​IMG]

11. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow! I really appreciate all the answers. Thanks!

You guys made great product recommendations. How often do I apply them? Especially, what do I do to the car on Day One?

(Details) I don't wash my car myself, I take it to the local car wash. There's one near my house that's fully automatic and touch-free: Wands move about the car, spraying soap and water on it. The other is a touch-free drive through with attendants who vacuum and dry the car, wipe down the interior, etc. I typically use one or the other once a week.

As I said, the car will be outdoors 100%. I'm willing to apply the wax/sealant a few times a year, or else I'll pay extra at the car wash and have them do it.

12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I only wash my car myself, by hand. Some public car washes uses recycling water which is a no-no in my book and cheap soap detergent. In you case, i would rather pay a professional detailer every 3 or 4 months for a complete job.

13. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    NO, NO, NO!!! Owners that use Zaino do not run their car through automatic car washes!!! :eek:

That's like drinking a fine wine out of styrofoam cup. It does not take ALL day to wash/wax a car but you do need to set aside an hour or maybe two in order to do it right.

There is not an automatic car wash on the planet that does as good a job as a hand wash.

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I stopped at "I take it to the local car wash." lol. That's about the worst thing you can do with wax or sealant, what they use is so strong and concentrated it'll just strip off whatever protectant you have applied.

1 person likes this.
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Personally, I think Z-2 is too reflective and takes away Z-5's depth on black paint so I prefer just Z-5 on black.

16. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Maybe time to train my kid to do it.

17. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding auto car washes:

For info, Zaino advises that prior to application, wash your car with Dawn (which is great stuff) - to strip off all remnants of wax, grease, oils, then apply the Zaino products. Never use Dawn again until you want to strip everything again.

Do you really think most automatic car washes are diligent about what they spray onto your car?

If you go through the steps with Zaino, washing the car & drying it will take less than a hour.

18. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When your only choice in 20 degree weather is road salt or no road salt, I will take a car wash anytime. Just clean and wax when weather gets warmer. :)

1 person likes this.
  19. h00ktern

h00ktern Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Totally acceptable, and lets see if the other Zaino proponents agree:

Apply it properly and sufficiently. A strong hose stream will carry you through till it gets warmer :mod:​

Safe trips :)

20. roth2006

roth2006 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I will vote for Zaino products as being among the best.