1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bandgeek, Jun 15, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    HAHAHA! That is SO cute!

:lol:

You should send it to the Zaino company...

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :clap: nice poem

3. MHR

MHR New Member

http://www.pinnaclewax.com/souveran.html

Zaino products have nice results and are a good value for the money. But - If you want to kick it up a notch "Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax" is the best products out there. The entire Pinnacle line is of higher quality compared to Zaino. I have used Pinnacle products on a show car I had and all my vehicles I drive. Pinnacle Souveran paste will set you back $70.00/jar, but just awesome on Black and Red vehicles. I still use Zaino products - so don't get me wrong here, but Pinnacle is just a better product in both appearance and protection. In the attached photos shows my new Prius with 2-coats of Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax applied 24 hrs. appart.

2005 Black Prius Pkg.6 with extended warranty, Clear Bra on hood, mirrors and fenders + Toyota Bra for bumper, Tire upgrade to GoodYear Triple Tread, Window tint (Limo on rear upper and lower, and rear side windows, 35 on frt. side), side visors, body side molding, mud flaps, exact mats, sunshade, seat covers, rear bumper protector, Nav. screen protector and ordered body stiffing plate. 49.7 mpg on first tank. ___________________________________________________________

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your Pinnacle Souveran'd car might look better right after application, but I guarantee you that in two months, the Zaino'd car will look better than yours.

There is no single "best" polish/wax/sealant. A truly knowledgeable detailer knows this and keeps several different waxes and sealants around, and chooses the best one for the application. The trick is to know the strengths and weaknesses of each product so you know you're making the right tradeoffs.

Pinnacle Souveran is carnuba wax, and as a carnuba, it gives dark colors (especially black) and red a depth of gloss that can't be matched by any synthetic, including Zaino. However, Zaino lasts far longer than any carnuba. So what do you want - a unmatched deep gloss that needs monthly application, or a product that gives a high shine, decent depth, but lasts for several months? Which one is "better"?

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MHR\";p=\"110014)</div>
    MHR, Very nice looking! I love shiny polished Prii. Thanks for the photos...

6. legendsguy

legendsguy New Member

Geting ready to Zaino my Prius this afternoon. I have a question though.

The Prius is only a week and a day old. We waxed last Sunday and it has been washed 3 times this week. (yeah, it's new car syndrome).

Do I really need to clay bar it? I'm thinking I should save the clay barring for my older cars and just skip this step on the Prius.

Quick responses would be very helpful since I want to do it as soon as it warms up today! Thanks.

7. Oswaldo

Oswaldo New Member

Is it necessary to wash the car in Dawn dishwasing liquid if the vehicle was just brought home from the dealer? Any chance that the dealers applies a wax to the finish as part of the new car delivery prep?

Thanks,

Oswaldo

8. darwin100

darwin100 New Member

And just where does one get this zaino???? sounds like it is worth a try.

9. FMCSK

FMCSK Junior Member

Here is the link http://www.zainostore.com/

10. legendsguy

legendsguy New Member

Here is an idea for towels. ..Go to your local diaper service. They usually have old diapers that they sell for a very low cost. These are all cotton and very soft since they been used on babies.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Diapers are a poor choice for just about any auto detailing work. Just about everyone uses microfiber towels these days, although Sal Zaino still recommends Cannon bath towels.

12. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You probably don't need to clay bar your car. The test to see if you need to clay bar is the "baggie test".

Wash your car, dry it, and then get a thin plastic sandwich bag (not a freezer bag), put your fingers inside it, and lighly run it over part of the hood or roof of your car. If the surface feels rough (the baggie makes it easier to feel the embedded contaminants), then you need to clay. You might want to try it on an older, neglected car too so you can feel the difference.

13. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have to wash your car anyway, before you apply Zaino, so why not just use Dawn instead of regular car wash and make sure you've stripped off any wax? It's not like it's any extra work, except to go to the store and get some if you don't already have it.

14. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You probably don't need to. On the other hand, why not get the surface as clean as possible before stacking on the layers of polish? Wouldn't you hate to find a different swatch of your car where the Zaino wasn't behaving correctly? Especially after putting on three or four coats?

Dawn is great for dishes, too. For the left-over, of course.

15. legendsguy

legendsguy New Member

Thanks for the replies. We did clay bar the car and it looks great. Did get some harassement from the neighbors and "washing the paint off our car" but they are just jealous!

16. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    How many coats of polish?

17. legendsguy

legendsguy New Member

18. dbforums

dbforums Junior Member

If the black Prius is NOT clearcoated should we be using the Z-3 Zaino polish? The Z-3 is for nonclearcoated paints. I just ordered the complete Zaino set and added the Z-3 and the Z-8 to be safe. Does anyone have ideas?

19. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ok...this is the 1st time i have ever waxed a car.....& i must say that i am impressed....this red salsa looks like magic.....it has had bird dodo on it.....rain ....wind.... fuel from airplaines (i work near the airport) , etc......& after a few splashes of water.....she still looks good.....gonna wash her today........but the wax job turned out much better than expected.......i dont think the toyoguard was needed......zaino did its job~ ;)

20. BeachDriver

BeachDriver New Member

Shiny black cars look great!!! For at least five minutes after you finish detailing them! :lol:

Then......the dust! :(