1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bandgeek, Jun 15, 2005.

1. ntender

ntender Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 6 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]282349[/snapback]</div>
    Here are some pictures. Unfortunately the pictures were taken on a cloudy day, not the best conditions to try to show off a shine. But you can maybe get some idea. There is certainly no "showroom shine".

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ah ha! Blue tinted headlights on the 2006 Prius! I'm surprised no one else pointed it out.

Gives it a cool look!

3. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I seem to remember a thread saying the headlights weren't actually tinted, but rather it was something different in the construction of the light that made it look more blue. The new features list simply says the headlights were "redesigned" for the 2006.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Jul 6 2006, 09:26 PM) [snapback]282360[/snapback]</div>
    I can't dream up a way you can damage the clearcoat or the paint on your Prius using a claybar (BTW, you can find those cheaper at an AutoZone and the like) if you do it properly. If the bar hits the ground, throw it out. You don't want pebbles and other sharp foreign materials rubbing up against your clearcoat and paint finish - that will definitely leave scratches. Just use the claybar and lube per directions and you'll be fine. Instructions can be found on Zaino's website.

Honestly, I'm not sure how often to claybar the car. For those who know, do you only use the claybar when you've taken the finish all the way down to the clearcoat, or every time you Zaino the car? I plan to add a few more coats every six months, but I've heard of people going more than a year without issue.

3 coats of Zaino Z-2 Pro and Z-6 Gloss Enhancer on my 2005 Driftwood Pearl:

[img_brandon]http://priuschat.com/uploads/1147197480/gallery_3068_43_17760.jpg[/img_brandon]
    (Picture returning soon)

5. Smooth Operator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 6 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]282438[/snapback]</div>
    I claybar every time I Zaino, which is once or twice a year.

I went a year this last time. When I washed it before Zainoing again, the car still looked good.

6. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ntender @ Jul 6 2006, 11:00 PM) [snapback]282372[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the pictures. The last one had a pretty nice shine to it -- you could see a lot of reflection on the sides.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 7 2006, 01:00 AM) [snapback]282438[/snapback]</div>
    Great job! BTW, can you get the other Zaino products at AutoZone?

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I'm spending the entire day with the dog and the car. It's been almost 9 months since any Zaino to it. So far, I've Dawned the car, touched up some of the paint chips, did a Z7 wash, and Z5'd and Z6'd it.

That is the "first coat". I am taking a break now, but plan on continuing with Z5 / Z6 / Z2 / Z8 in the remainder of the afternoon. Also cleaning the leather and plastic in the car and going to use Mother's on all the outside black.

I've also cleaned the engine compartment and replaced a taillamp assembly. The Floormats are in the washing machine, hope I am not screwing them up....

After it is all done, I'm taking the dog out for ice cream.

8. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I only use Z2. Is that not sufficient?

9. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Jul 7 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]282785[/snapback]</div>
    I should clarify - the claybar I bought at AutoZone was not the Zaino brand. Zaino products are not available at AutoZone - They don't do any major distribution. I understand they have a few resellers in New Jersey and Hawaii (w/ extra markup), but for the most part, it's easiest to get the products at the http://www.zainostore.com website.

10. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 9 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]283349[/snapback]</div>
    I buy from the local distributor in Hawaii and there is no additional markup. He threw in a few free applicators last time. He is very knowledgeable, stocks all the products, and I can call anytime to get clarification on the use of the products. Also didn't over sell and even told me not to buy somethings.

11. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mike_m @ Jul 8 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]283041[/snapback]</div>
    Z-2 PRO is the key to that whole process - it's the stuff that actually protects the car's finish. The other products aren't necessarily required, but do things like remove swirl marks, add extra shine, etc.

12. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I find myself reluctant to get some Zaino. Why? Not because it doesn't work. It does. It's fabulous stuff. Too fabulous. I had a '99 Solara, bought new, that I'd lovingly Zaino'd to the point where I could shave using a fender as a mirror.

About a month after getting that beautiful finish, someone keyed it all along the driver's side. Sometimes, investing too much in something (emotion, not money) makes the fall all the harder.

Who am I kidding. I'll probably get some.

Interesting note: that Zaino is so tenacious, that when I had the car repainted, they had to redo it because the applied paint didn't quite stick the right way. The slightly caustic wash they use to remove such protectants didn't quite get all the Zaino off.

13. taoofbean

taoofbean New Member

Would someone more knowledgeable with the product line tell me what I should get for around a $40 first Zaino purchase? I have no wish to have a seven step process of Z1-8. My car is new and I just want it protected.

14. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(taoofbean @ Jul 27 2006, 05:56 PM) [snapback]293441[/snapback]</div>
    Get Z-2 Pro, Z-6, and Z-7 as a minimum. Z-7 is a car wash soap and not needed if you already have a good car wash soap. In fact Z-6 is not really needed but highly recommended to help with a higher gloss. I would recommend getting ZFX if you want to do a quicker job because it will help the Z-2 dry quicker. I would also recommend getting Z-8 to spray on your car after you wash to give it a gloss boost and Z-16 if you want tire gloss.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong on any of this. I hope. :unsure:

15. jasonmeehan

jasonmeehan New Member

Hi all,

I'm still reading and soaking in all this knowledge... I think it might take a few more days of reading up on Zaino's products before I really feel like I know what I'm doing... but now I have run into a problem too... I was reading all the forum info about Zaino stuff because I want to give my new Prius its first polish/wax a.s.a.p. and today someone put the first scratch on my car in a parking garage! I don't know much about repairing scratches.. PLEASE HELP! It's a small quarter size "V" shaped scratch in the passenger door, is there a good Zaino product to use to try to remove the scratch... or do I go straight to touch-ups.. the car is only a month old!

If someone could help me figure out what to do first, and give me some guidelines as to the procedure to follow that would be so helpful! I want to get the scratch taken care of before I go ahead and polish the whole car. I'm trying not to freak out too much.. it happens.... but.... the car is my baby now! :unsure: HELP!

Thank you!

16. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Jul 27 2006, 06:17 PM) [snapback]293450[/snapback]</div>
    Either ZFX or Z-1 are required for the first coat; Z-1 is is half the price of ZFX, but Zaino claims that ZFX is better.

Minimum needed:
    1) ZFX or Z-1
    2) Z-2
    3) Polish Applicator pad (free with orders over $25).
    4) Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray. Not crucial, perhaps, but it is used between coats of Z-2 to enhance gloss; it's claimed to reduce dustiness. And if you get this, you go over $25 for the free pad

Also: see their towel guidelines.

Gave in and just Zainoed my car. Knew rain was coming, but today was the only time I'd have the chance to do the lengthy Dawn/clay bar/wash/ZFX+Z2 treatment for at least the next 10 days. I think it should be OK, especially if I spritz on Z6 after the rain dries out tomorrow (don't have aa big enough window on Saturday to do the whole process). Rushed the job, but thought I was "clever" and could fit in another coat of Z2 before evening. D'oh! Shouldn't have: 12 hours needed between coats if you don't use ZFX. I did ZFX/Z2 and then Z5, since the ZFX instructions say you can put on another coat immediately. But since coat two was Z5 and not ZFX/Z5, I should have waited before sticking on the Z2 (yes, a third coat).

Z5 and Z2 can be alternated, but you should have Z2 as the "final" coat of the two, since it has a better shine.

17. hideki7

hideki7 New Member

Hi all,

My 06 Prius came in just two weeks ago!
    I read through all of this Zaino topic reports/messages.
    I am wondering which product I should apply to my Prius, Zaino or 5 Star Shine.

Could someone answer the following questions for me to make my decision?

Q1) It seems that Zaino users apply the products once every 6 months or 12 months. How often does Zaino stuff need to be applied to the car body typically?

Q2) After applying Zaino, is it OK to take my Prius to car wash once every two weeks or so? Will the body keep shining even after the car is washed by car-wash-machine?

Thanks in advance,
    A Prius beginner

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 6 2006, 10:00 PM) [snapback]282438[/snapback]</div>
    [Replying to an old post that I had missed]

You clay the car when it needs it. And you know when it needs it by performing the baggie test.

To perform the baggie test, get a plastic sandwich bag (the thin kind, not a heavy duty or freezer bag), put your fingers inside it, and run your fingers over your freshly washed and dried car. If you feel little dots that feel like small grains of sand, you need to clay your car. Or just clay a small section of you car, and compare the feel of that to the feel of unclayed paint. It will quickly become clear what the paint should feel like. The baggie makes it easy to feel embedded contaminants sticking out of the paint that you couldn't feel with your bare hand.

If you're finding you need to clay more than twice per year you really need to find a better place to park your car. A car that's garaged at home and at work might need to be clayed once every two years.

19. jasonmeehan

jasonmeehan New Member

I have a question, can you use the Z8 Grand Finale instead of the Z6 Gloss Enhancer between coats of Z2? Or should you really have a bottle of both on hand before getting started??

:unsure:

20. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theblackpearl @ Aug 9 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]300515[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't used the Z8 myself, but my understanding is that the answer is "yes, but...." In their product information, Zaino states:

"Does Z-8 replace Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray?
    No. For most detailers, both Z-8 and Z-6 play important roles in the overall gloss and protection of your vehicles finish.

When would I use Z-8 verses Z-6?
    Z-6 would continue to be used for quick details to remove dust and soil between washes as well as for daily maintenance. Z-8 would be used for the extra protection and that extra zing in gloss needed for special occasions."

They do mention being able to use Z8 rather than Z6 between coats, but also note that this may not be cost effective (Z8 is twice the price).

Were I to order Z8, I'd use it periodically as a final coat, with Z6 for use more regularly as a touch-up and in-between coats.