1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bandgeek, Jun 15, 2005.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theblackpearl @ Aug 9 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]300515[/snapback]</div>
    I think I remember reading either here or on the zaino site you can use Z8 between coats. The only reason I have both is because the Z6 came in the kit I bought and I bought the Z8 after to use as an after wash wipe down.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been using Zaino since 2000 and it may not be the best stuff on the planet but the ease of application keeps me buying the stufff. Its not because of the great smell of Z5 or anything ;) Ohh, it worked great on my black glossy fridge too lol

I claybared and reapplied 2 coats of Z2 last week and am still amazed at how great this stuff is to use. I have a dual-head Cyclo polisher which I used to apply some professional polish to get rid of some minor haze I had from where the dealer screwed up. After that I started in with the Z1. I applied the Z2 and between coats I used Meguires Quick Detailer to get rid of any stuborn residue. I havn't made a Zaino order in ages so I dont have Z6. The Meguires stuff worked just as well IMO.

I took this pic today in the evening to show my new wheels but it shows the shine on the paint just as well. :)

[​IMG]

This side of the car is shaded but you can see the reflection of the damned camper thing on the door.
    [​IMG]

3. LarryRacies

LarryRacies New Member

Has anyone used Zaino on a Prius equipped with 3M Invisible Bra?
    If so, what were the results?

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LarryRacies @ Aug 16 2006, 09:30 AM) [snapback]304022[/snapback]</div>
    I have. It works but the only problem is that you get a build up of the zaino along the edges. I use a used tooth brush to clean that crud out. Other than that it works very well.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    F8L, that red looks amazing, and that's about enough to convince me to buy the stuff for my Barcelona Red '06.

I'm also thinking about getting the 3M clear bra (can't quite convince myself that I'd like the look of the black one), so is that something I should apply before using Zaino? I also already have a couple little nicks in the paint on my hood, so I guess I have to touch those up first... so many things getting in the way of making my car look sparkly :angry:

6. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 16 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]304058[/snapback]</div>
    If you do zaino before your clear bra you will want to use liquid dawn to remove the zaino from the places where your going to apply the clear bra.

7. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Aug 15 2006, 05:50 AM) [snapback]303421[/snapback]</div>
    The car and the wheels look GREAT! Wow!
    Is that the Salsa red or the Barcelona?

8. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys :)

It's Salsa Red. In the sunlight and clean the car shines like crazy. When it starts to get dark or really overcast the color is much more subdued but all my other cars were Navy Blue Metallic (GM color) and had the very same effect. My car looks more Merlot at night whereas the Barcelona cars still look red.

Overcast day with my old C5
    [​IMG]

Sunny day and clean
    [​IMG]

I'd do the 3M clear bra. I really need to do it on mine. I already have enough rock chips to make me sick to my stomach :( Like stated above if you want to wax fist go for it. Then simply wash the front area a few times with some dish soap before applying the bra.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, time for a REALLY stupid question. But first a disclaimer:

I've been driving for many years, but I've never done much (any) car care for a couple reasons; First, I've never owned my own car, and second, I wouldn't have cared about any other car like I care about my Prius even if I did own another :D

So now the stupid question: Does it have to be "Dawn" dish soap, or are there types that will work and types that won't? Should I be watching out for scents or dyes in the soap?

10. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thats what Sal recomends but I'ved used palmalive and others and they worked fine. The main thing is to wash it enough so the wax appears gone.

11. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Aug 17 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]304615[/snapback]</div>

The issue is the pH of the detergent; it ought to be quite alkaline. Dawn fits the bill; you can use a different type, so long as it has a similar alkalinity. Since Dawn is known to work and is cheap enough, that's what I use.

12. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    OK, I have read this entire thread and checked Zaino's website, but am still confused. Exactly what would I need to order and what are the steps for use that I would need for routine care of the exterior of my black baby. I have been getting it washed by mobile service that comes to the office and washes the car in the parking lot. I am starting to see some swirls when the sunlight hits the sides just right. I park in the garage at night and think the surface is still pretty pristine after 7 months. I have never really cleaned my own cars before, but think I would like to try this. If all else fails I can pay the teenager to do it for me if he ever stays home long enough. Also, does the car need to be in shade while doing the work? I appreciate any advice or assistance.

13. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Aug 20 2006, 06:52 PM) [snapback]306381[/snapback]</div>
    From Zaino:
    ZFX Flash Cure Additive
    Z2 Polish
    Z5, since you said you have swirls.
    Z6
    Z7
    A second polish applicator (you get one free with >$25.
    Alternatively, they also have a "Zaino Total Protection Show Car Kit" which includes the second applicator, as well as the Z18 ClayBar. If you want the ClayBar, this'll save you a few dollars.

From elsewhere: Dawn, one or two cotton towels, as described on the site.

The car does not need to be in the shade, but it should not be hot to the touch.

Detailed use instructions are here.

Their use recommendation:
    "If you're using the Zaino Show Car Polish system primarily for protection, a single coat will protect your car for up to six months. Two or three coats of ZFXâ„¢ enabled Show Car Polish will give your car up to 9 months of lasting, durable protection.

For the best protection possible, we recommend sealing your car with ZFXâ„¢ enabled Show Car Polish twice a year. To maintain the finish and good looks, wash your car three to four times a month with Z-7 Show Car Wash and give a quick wipe down with Z-6 Ultra Cleanâ„¢ Gloss Enhancer Spray.

If you're using ZFXâ„¢ enabled Show Car Polish to create an award winning, head turning show car finish, apply three coats of ZFXâ„¢ enabled Show Car Polish with a layer of Z-6 Ultra Cleanâ„¢ Gloss Enhancer Spray between each coat. The following week or month, apply another three coats of ZFXâ„¢ enabled Show Car Polish also with Z-6 Ultra Cleanâ„¢ Gloss Enhancer Spray between each layer. Each month thereafter, apply a single coat of Show Car Polish. (Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5)"

14. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Thanks Scott. I'm going to order this week and will print out your instructions so I'll know what to do when I have the time to shine up my baby.

15. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pirateprius, I just wanted to mention a couple of techniques since you're not a seasoned polish pro. First, NEVER wash your car or apply polish with a circular motion. The reason for this is that any tiny scratches or swirls will catch your eye if the light striking the scratch is perpendicular to it. You can't control where the sun is in the sky, but you can control the direction of any micro-scratches. Using a circular motion to wash or polish can put micro-scratches at all angles, so you'll always see them.

When you wash or polish, make your strokes go along the length of the car for the hood and roof and areas above the windows. For vertical areas like the doors and fenders, try to make your strokes vertical too, up and down. Using long strokes in these directions will minimize the appearance of any micro-scratches. Of course, there are some areas, like the spoiler, which would be really hard to do going lengthwise with the car, but use this as a guide and don't rub in circles.

You will probably want to do one round (three or four coats) of polishing with the Z-5 to smooth out any swirl marks you see, before using the Z-2 in a month or so. Z-2 is clearer and gives a deeper shine, but it needs a smooth surface to look best, otherwise you might just get shiny swirls.

Also, a little Zaino goes a long way! When you are mixing up the Z-5 and the ZFX accelerator, only fill the little mixing bottle half full of Z-5 and use only 4 or 5 drops of the ZFX. This will give you several light coats (apply sparingly, let dry, buff with towel, wipe down with Z-6, repeat) and you won't waste Zaino. The first time I applied it, I mixed the whole little bottle and was at it into dark trying to not waste the mixed polish. You can always mix more if you need to.

Good luck, you'll be very pleased with the results.

16. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking ahead to the winter - we do not have a garage at our home.

Does the Zaino process give me the best protection available?
    We get a lot of salt on the roads in the winter as well.
    Once I go through the whole process w/ Zaino - can I bring it to a DIY car wash and hose off the road grime without harming the protection? Can it be run through an automatic car wash using soap and wax?

17. mongo

mongo Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 21 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]306681[/snapback]</div>
    We've had excellent results with Zaino through the winter and car washes.

Recently I've started using a new system from Adam's Polishes (www.adamspolishes.com) that is quite excellent. I took my friends older, neglected black Mercury and restored the finish using the Zaino system on one side and Adam's on the other. No one has been able to detect a difference in appearance. Now I'm waiting to see how well they both hold up.

18. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 21 2006, 10:38 AM) [snapback]306681[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know of any comparison studies of paint protectants. Anyway, salt on the roads is much more of an issue for the undercarriage than it is the paint--no wax or polish really addresses salt. For that, you need to be able to wash off the underside of your car.

That said, Zaino ought to be fine in auto car washes. Skip the wax, though--it'll only dull the finish (compared to the Zaino layer) and it's superfluous. If you're only going to cover it over with the cheap wax job of an auto-car wash, why bother using Zaino?

If you have issues about storing your car outdoors in the winter, get a car cover.

19. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 21 2006, 07:38 AM) [snapback]306681[/snapback]</div>
    Zaino is the most durable sealant I know of (I've also got the Klasse twins, Blackfire, and Four Star on my shelf right now), and has outlasted every other sealant and wax in every comparison test I know of. Klasse SG is the next most durable product I have tried and it might last 2/3rds as long as Zaino.

If you can do a Z-6 or Z-8 wipedown after every wash during the winter, and maybe a mid-winter refresh with the Z-2 or Z-5 if your winters are really harsh, you should have the best looking car in the neighborhood.

Some people like Collinite Insulator wax for winters. I'm not familiar with the product except for reports from people who use it.

20. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Aug 21 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]306561[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tips, I will definitely follow them once I receive my Zaino products. I'm getting excited about how nice my car is going to look.