1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zaino...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bandgeek, Jun 15, 2005.

1. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    Finally ordered my Zaino kit and hope to have time to use it this weekend. Quick question - when drying after washing is it best to use the cotton towel or a microfiber? I guess that my steps are as follows:
    Dawn wash
    clay bar lubricating with Z-7 solution
    wash with Z-7
    2-3 coats or so with Z-5 and/or Z-2 mixed with Zfx using Z-6 between coats using Zaino applicator
    Do the above following the Zaino instructions and the fine helpful tips in this thread.
    Maintenance - wash with Z-7 and use Z-6
    Have I left anything out?

2. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like you're on track! Just remember, you'll need less than you think, so mix the Z-2 and ZFX sparingly.

Zaino says to use only 100% cotton made in the USA to dry the car, but I regularly use microfiber to remove water without any problems I've noticed. I do use the cotton terry cloths to buff off the car after applying a coat of Zaino, though - seems to work better.

3. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pirateprius @ Sep 11 2006, 09:50 PM) [snapback]318098[/snapback]</div>

I use The Absorber for drying. Doesn't scratch and works better than a towel or microfiber. Note that Zaino discourages the use of a microfiber cloth--for removal of their product, and I suppose by implication for drying.

You'll want to finish with Z2, as it gives a better shine than Z5 (which is meant to address swirls). That is, if you do Z5, put on Z2 within a day or two.

BTW, you need quite little of the Z2 (or Z5) and ZFX mixture. The instructions say to use 1-2 ounces of Z2 or Z5 mixed with 4-5 drops of ZFX per ounce. I can easily cover my Prius with 1 ounce (the mixing bottle half-full) with stuff left over. You put Zaino products (Z2, Z5, Z6) on SPARINGLY.

If the light is right, you can tell if you've covered a particular area because it'll look a little greasy. When it's dry, it turns hazy (and somewhat more visible). To be sure, wipe a finger on the area where you finished. It ought to slide right off--feel smooth, not greasy. Then wipe it off: for the horizontal surfaces (roof, hood), use strokes that follow the length of the car (front-back). For vertical surfaces, go top-bottom. Don't use Karate Kid circular motions.

If the car surface is hot, don't Zaino. You can apply it in the sun so long as the car isn't hot.

Clean the bottle and applicator using a HEAVY concentration of Dawn. Soak them right after use (like when you're waiting for it to dry)--the stuff is tenacious. But before soaking, fill the bottle half-full of the super-concentrated Dawn solution and shake it a lot, then pour it out and soak the bottle (and applicator) in a small container of the Dawn mixture.

With Z6, you also use it sparingly.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Sep 11 2006, 07:19 PM) [snapback]318107[/snapback]</div>
    If you know how to rinse your car, you only need a one square foot microfiber towel to remove the small amount of remaining water. If you need an "Absorber" or "Water Blade" or large towel to dry your car, you need to learn how to wash it.

And yet, amazingly enough, Zaino approves the use of Waynes Towels Ultimate Plush Towel, which is a 75% polyester/25% Polyamide microfiber. How do you explain this?

If you're able to think for yourself, rather than blindly follow instructions written for the totally clueless, you'd realize that microfiber is completely suitable for drying and sealant/wax removal. In fact, most experienced detailing enthusiasts only use microfiber towels for sealant removal and buffing, and that includes those that use Zaino.

5. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Sep 12 2006, 04:56 AM) [snapback]318211[/snapback]</div>

Plonk

6. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Sep 12 2006, 04:56 AM) [snapback]318211[/snapback]</div>
    Teach us, oh wise one! (i.e. if you have advice, give the advice, not just the critique. And I'm asking for your tips on "learning how to wash" my car, not just being snarky)

7. bbianchi

bbianchi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Sep 12 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]318242[/snapback]</div>
    Actually the blades are bad. From personal experience I have had they scratch my clear coat...

8. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. I think I'll try a microfiber for drying after the washing steps and the cotton towels (note to self to get to Bed, Bath, and Beyond this week) after the Z2 and Z5 application. For my first time I will try 2 coats of Z5 and a final coat of Z2. Can't wait to get the time to use the Zaino. Maybe I should use a sick day. :p

9. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bbianchi @ Sep 12 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]318496[/snapback]</div>
    The Water Blade Sux........$20 from Walmart......thank God I saved my receipt.

10. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Sep 12 2006, 06:05 AM) [snapback]318242[/snapback]</div>
    Someone else already did a good job of explaining it in another thread.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?s=&show...st&p=306600

11. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Finally got to Zaino my baby today. It looks awesome. Put on 2 coats of Z5 and 1 coat of Z2 before I ran out of time. Had a football game to go to. Didn't apply the Z6 after the Z2 but pulled it right into the garage and should be able to do Z6 in the morning. I am really pleased with the results. I'll see if I want to do any more coats of Z5 or Z2 after a couple of days.

12. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got my first shipment of Zaino on Friday and spent Saturday doing my daughter's black 2002 Honda Civic - WOW! I can't beleive the difference. I'll be doing my Prius this upcoming weekend.

13. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Still to this day, after all this discussion, no one has specifically stated how long of a duration Zaino can tolerate in a salty environment. I've heard that it works fine in those conditions, but have yet to find out when the protective coat begins to weaken.

That's a really, really, really big deal in Minnesota... where it's 7 months between opportunities warm enough to apply a fresh coat.

Does anyone know of any data proving one way or the other if Zaino is a good choice for that particular need?

14. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    i just used my zaino this weekend for the first time. i had previously used nu finish so i washed the car with dawn dishwashing soap, per their instructions. i then washed it with their car wash liquid and applied the Z2 with the accelerator. i applied two coats and those two coats were a whole lot easier than applying one coat of nu finish. this product buffs right off of the car with minimal labor. the results are excellent and from what they've said, multiple coats will increase the shine and protection exponentially.

john1701a - if you go to zaino's website and e mail them, they'll reply to any questions you have within a day or so. i just e mailed them about the frequency of application of their products and they wrote back that specific environmental conditions alter the frequency of applications required. they specifically mentioned salt as well as sand and acidic rain. they said that the formation of the beads of water are directly related to the amount of protection on the car. well, here....here's what they had to say..................Also, go to their website since they have a ton of information about what type of cloth you should use to wipe down your car, that you shouldn't use dishwasing liquid to wash your car, etc.

"Zaino will last 6 to 9 months..

Zaino will keep your car cleaner, longer. Very easy maintenence. When
    the car gets dirty wash it with Z-7 Show Car Wash. For light dust you
    can use Z-6 "Gloss Enhancer" spray as a quick detailer and touch-up
    spray.

Use Z-2 polish as often as you like. I go by the size and amount of water
    beading. The tighter and higher the
    water bead is the more protection. When the water beads start to get
    wide and shallow. The protection is diminishing.

Make sure you are using Z-7 Car Wash to wash your car.

Make sure the towels you are using to wash the car are completely
    rinsed. Laundry detergent is very high in alkaline and phosphates. If
    the towels are not completely rinsed the chemical residue will try to
    strip off my polish. Also do not use bleach, powdered detergent or any
    fabric softners when washing your towels. This will definetly affect the
    gloss and
    durability of Show Car polish.

Environmental conditions also play a very important role in durability.
    If there are alot of abrasives present in the air. Such as living in
    Arizonal(sand) or near the ocean(salt & sand). Also high acid rain
    levels. These and many other factors affect polish durability.

The bottom line is: Show Car Polish will outlast any polish you've ever
    used!!!"

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Sep 18 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]321199[/snapback]</div>
    But having experienced outstanding results with another polish in the hostile (salty, wet, cold) conditions here, I doubt that Zaino is better. It could be an equal though.

The 12 years of success I've had makes trying something different a very, very hard sell. So I need a whole lot more than just a manufacturer's comment.

I'm sure Zaino performs remarkably well in the south. But up here, I haven't come across evidence of that.

16. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Sep 18 2006, 02:56 PM) [snapback]321269[/snapback]</div>
    I'll be able to let you know, come Spring. I'm in the Chicago area so our road conditions are probably very similar. I'm going to try to apply one more protective coat this weekend. If time doesn't allow, I'll have to wait until after winter to reapply. If I remember, I'll report back on the winter's protection that was afforded by this product. In the meanwhile, it sure makes the car look nice! I guess if you found something that lives up to your expectations and that you feel affords thorough, consistent protection, why change?

17. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nyconrad @ Sep 18 2006, 10:29 AM) [snapback]321113[/snapback]</div>
    You did your daughter's car before you did your own Prius??!! Will you please adopt me?

18. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its a pleasure to use Zaino... every coat or every step shows the reward of change.
    You will think it can't get any better, but it does.

Its absolutely astounding on my Barcelona Red.

Attached Files:

19. cdavid

cdavid Member

Now those pictures sure look like the ones you posted months ago after you received your Zaino. Tried to find them to compare, but there are 118 pages of your posts, over 1% of the Forum's posts.

Impressive!

20. nyconrad

nyconrad Cconrad in Virginia

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Sep 18 2006, 09:23 PM) [snapback]321432[/snapback]</div>
    Her car was the Guiney (sp?) pig. Did you think I would try it out on my baby first???????