1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zap Xebra

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Apr 12, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Latest news: Supposed to arrive in Spokane late tonight. Probably get delivery tomorrow morning (Friday). :)

I'm so excited!

2. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 10 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]439029[/snapback]</div>
    Early Congrats, I hope it's what you expected, they have a cool look . What mods have you got planned for it so far?

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just in time for the summer driving season!!

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Warm up the digital camera!

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 10 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]439029[/snapback]</div>
    OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!! I can't wait for you to take it for a spin!! B)

6. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 10 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]439033[/snapback]</div>
    He's already had the dealer do a bunch of stuff to his Xebra. Including better better seats! So hopefully he won't have to do anything since it was all done for him prior to shipping. He will just have to jump in it and drive! :p

Driving full electric is SOOO cool! B)

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 10 2007, 07:06 AM) [snapback]439033[/snapback]</div>
    As Tracy said, the dealer did all the mods, as I have zero mechanic-type skills.

Six small batteries replaced with seven big ones (140 ah) increasing the drive voltage to 84 v. 400-amp controller, set by the dealer at 380 amps, the level his testing has shown him to be optimum. This will give me more acceleration and hill-climbing ability, and the dealer claims 40 miles of range if I drive reasonably.

Air-ride front suspension.

BattEQ battery balancer.

LED lighting.

Chrome wheel covers.

Front seats replaced with more comfortable ones. (The PK has very comfortable seats. The stock SD does not.)

Some detailing.

If I can find my digital camera I'll take some really bad pictures. My pictures are always pretty bad. I think it's been 3 years since I took a picture. I looked for my camera the other day and could not find it. I imagine it will turn up if I ever get around to a thorough spring cleaning.

It's due to be delivered in just over 2 hours at Allan's place (he's getting a PK, also with the 7 big batteries and possibly the bigger controller).

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 10 2007, 10:01 AM) [snapback]439029[/snapback]</div>
    I hear they can be easily mod'ed to get another 10mph top end ... though it'll cut way in to the over all range. I'm thinking of getting one, doing that, then adding more batteries!

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's here!!! Sean says it'll go 45 mph. So far I just drove home from Allan's place, no 45 mph streets.

More later...

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Excellent. And welcome to the club. :)

My tandem just arrived it town too! Still needs to be assembled though...

11. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    pictures!!!!

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Today I drove Escuincle 23 Zap miles, after which his voltage was still around 75. This seems consistent with an advertised range of 40 miles as modified. Lots of smiles, several people asked me about him when he was parked, altogether a pleasant experience. I am very happy to be driving electric.

Now I can say, along with Darell: My Prius is my gas-guzzler.

I found my camera but the batteries are dead. I suppose it's been 3 years since I took a picture with it. One of these days I'll post pictures, but if you go to gpev.us and click on showroom, the green SD pictured is mine, unless he changes the pictures now that that one is no longer on his lot. Actually, that's the same picture I have posted elsewhere on PC.

These are the mods that Sean, at Grants Pass EV did to my Xebra SD:

Seven 140 AH batteries to replace the six much smaller OEM batteries
    Curtis 400-amp controler, set for 375 amps
    Upgraded charger
    Air Ride suspension on the front wheel
    LED marker lights all around
    25' extension cord (not a mod, but included in the price I paid)
    BattEQ battery equalizers
    Chrome wheel covers
    Upgraded seats to replace the uncomfortable stock seats
    Some paint detailing (the words "Electric" and "All-electric all the time" and some small lightning bolts.)
    Rear-view mirror removed from the OEM ceiling mount (where it wobbled) and re-mounted on the windshield.

My full purchase price was $16,881. This was $1,000 less than I had estimated it would be. Since he is out of state, he did not charge sales tax, so I had to pay $1,530 to register it, which included sales tax and licensing fees. Price with sales tax and licensing: $18,411.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    PICTURES COURTESY OF ALLEN (allende):

[attachmentid=7971]

Above and below: Escuincle and a blue PK on the trailer. The blue one was going to another city.

[attachmentid=7972]

Below: Allan's PK and Escuincle in Allan's driveway after they were unloaded from the trailer. Sean, at the far right and me with my back turned. I didn't know Allan was taking the picture.

[attachmentid=7973]

Tiffany also took some pictures, and I'll post them when she sends them to me.

14. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something about that huge lifted Pick-up hauling those little EV's just screams "irony" at me. Glad somebody cares enough to take photos of your new car Daniel!!

15. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 12 2007, 06:01 AM) [snapback]440525[/snapback]</div>
    Everything we buy gets transported from somewhere. If you think the rig Sean uses to deliver Xebras is big, think about the freighter that brought them over from China! Or the semi that brought your Prius from San Pedro (?) to Florida.

That pickup is probably the smallest thing that could pull a 40-foot trailer loaded with three Zap Xebras. (Allan's was off-loaded before the pics were taken.) Now, if the Big Three would sell EVs we could buy them from the dealership and we wouldn't have to see the rig that brought them from Detroit. :rolleyes:

As for pictures, I assure you anybody else's pics will be better than any I'd take.

16. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ May 3 2007, 02:09 PM) [snapback]434854[/snapback]</div>
    I checked out the GEM website- I think that is the one I've seen. The town I live in is on an island and you have to go over one of two big bridges to get out of town. I don't think that there is an EV currently (no pun intended) available that is fast enough for me to drive off island (except for the Tesla, which is a little out of the price range I'd consider). But something like the GEM would be suitable for driving around town; to the market, taking the kids to school (they usually walk or bike, but when they carry saxophones, school projects, etc. they need a lift) and to the beach in the summer. I'll have to investigate it. Have you been happy with yours? Is it reliable?

17. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It makes me think of a little mouse from old cartoons! Great color though! Can't wait to see more pics!!!

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 12 2007, 09:02 AM) [snapback]440546[/snapback]</div>
    Daniel, you know that whole statement comes across as pretty condescending...right? I am, of course, aware of exactly how various products are transported. The fact that it's necessary doesn't change the fact of the irony of the photos and imagery of such a scene.

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 12 2007, 02:35 PM) [snapback]440713[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry. Didn't mean to be condescending. I took your post as a put-down of Sean for using that big honking pickup. Bit of a misunderstanding both ways, perhaps.

Well, since everybody is asking, here are my own lousy photos:

At Home:

[attachmentid=7977]

[attachmentid=7978]

At a store parking lot:

[attachmentid=7979]

[attachmentid=7980]

At a parking lot on the Centennial Trail, which follows the river, and is shared by walkers, joggers, roller-bladers, cyclists...

[attachmentid=7981]

[attachmentid=7982]

[attachmentid=7986]

[attachmentid=7984]

20. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice pics Daniel. Now you need some Zaino. :p

Now that I know what these cars are I noticed a lot filled with the truck versions while passing by Davis, CA. on my way to a date last night. I see them there on my commute so it must be a sales yard or something.