1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zap Xebra

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Apr 12, 2007.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 13 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]441080[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if it would work on the fiberglass and Chinese paint of the Xebra. I've never been one for pimping up the appearance of a car, though.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 13 2007, 09:53 AM) [snapback]441094[/snapback]</div>

It may. I Zaino'd my black Whirlpool fridge to help with fingerprints. LOL

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 13 2007, 09:33 AM) [snapback]441080[/snapback]</div>
    F8L -

Psst! http://evnut.com/davis_electric_cars.htm Yup, we have an EV dealership in Davis now. So far Xebras and Zenns. More to come soon.

And in the meantime, when are you gonna drop by and say howdy... or answer my PM to you?

Daniel - when the pictures eventually resolve (I'm on the road on dialup) I'll ooh and ahh with the rest of them. :) Congrats again!

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Why is it classified as a motorcycle?

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ooooh. Aaah!

Your pictures are great, BTW! Keep taking them and quite whining. :)

When I get home tonight, I'll have 300+ EV miles on the Rav this weekend, plus 50 on my bike. Lots more miles than usual!

6. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 13 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]441131[/snapback]</div>
    It is classified as a motorcycle because it has three wheels instead of four. They left off the fourth wheel so that it would be classed as a motorcycle instead of a car. And they did that because it costs tens or hundreds (?) of millions of dollars to equip and crash-test a car for safety.

My trade-off: I give up all the safety features of a car in order to be able to drive electric. But since it has a top speed of around 40 mph, and I never go above 35 because of the bumpiness, safety is less of a concern. It's probably fair to say it's the safest motorcycle you can buy. It does have seat belts, and the fiberglass cabin is so solid that when a Xebra sedan fell off a delivery truck and landed on its roof (Sean witnessed this) the roof held its shape.

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 13 2007, 11:06 AM) [snapback]441122[/snapback]</div>
    *Looks embarassed*

I'm going to check my PMs now lol

8. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 12 2007, 04:04 PM) [snapback]440733[/snapback]</div>

Looks good. However, I'd probably get the pickup, since my wife would want to haul gardening stuff, and I might want to haul building material. There's no sense in getting the interior of a new vehicle as dirty as that in my Prius now. I'm getting more tempted. It would primarily be my wife's vehicle, since she does a lot more "local" driving than I do.

Dave M.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 13 2007, 04:11 PM) [snapback]441260[/snapback]</div>
    The two models are very different. The PK has much more comfortable seats, but is extremely crowded in the cabin. And of course gives you carrying ability. Allan got a PK so he could haul his trike out to the cycling/jogging trail. But I never haul anything, and I wanted the larger interior space of the SD, as well as the potential to carry a third person, as when a couple visits. Also the SD is kind of cute. Today at a stop light a woman pulled out her camera (phone?) and snapped a picture.

10. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Very Nice Daniel, good color and good pix!!! looks like a lot of fun

11. GadgetMan2

GadgetMan2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 12 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]440733[/snapback]</div>
    That is one cool little ride. But why can't (or won't) Americans make something like that?

Just a though or question, with only one wheel in the front, if there is only one person in tis thing driving, does it tend to lean to one side? I woudlthink there woudl be one seat up front, in the center, for balance.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetMan2 @ May 13 2007, 05:17 PM) [snapback]441306[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, ZAP is an American company, but the Xebra is built in China. So it's just like GM building cars in Mexico. However, AC Propulsion is building the xBox in CA, but only sells to CA residents. And Tesla Motors is in the USA, but it's cars will be built in the UK.

The big question is why the American NEV companies like GEM and Zenn don't build a three-wheeler and break the 25-mph limit. GEM could build a much better Xebra-like vehicle. Of course, it would cost a lot more. Cost may be the answer to your question. I'd much rather drive an American-made EV, and I'd pay the higher price for quality. But ZAP felt that they could not sell it at the price that American-manufacture quality would cost. If there had been an American-made competitor, I'd never have considered the Chinese-made car. But the Xebra is the only car of its kind, and I wanted electric.

I do not notice any lean with just me in the car. But I'm not too fat.

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 11 2007, 03:12 PM) [snapback]440130[/snapback]</div>
    Oh wow!! I have been away helping my daughter move. This is GREAT NEWS!!! Reading on.....

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 12 2007, 11:49 AM) [snapback]440588[/snapback]</div>

Yes I have been happy with my Gem. I plan to upgrade the tires which will give me a bit more speed. However in the 11 months I have had mine now I haven't had any issues with traffic. I always stick to 2 lane roads where people can easily get around me. I did just have the controller go out on me BUT luckily it was still under warranty. Gem ship me a new charger in 2 days and paid a golf course to install it for me.

Buying an electric vehicle has been the BEST purchase I have ever made!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 13 2007, 07:11 PM) [snapback]441260[/snapback]</div>

I agree! I hauled a TON of stuff in my Gem electric truck last night. But boy it sure ate my range like candy with all the extra weight. Luckily I made it to my daughter's new place and was able to plug in to get back home.

I love having a truck! Especially an electric one! B)

15. priussoris

priussoris New Member

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ May 15 2007, 04:17 AM) [snapback]442298[/snapback]</div>
    either he knows or has taken your advice, his pin is on the map

17. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 15 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]442401[/snapback]</div>
    I just saw it this morning and thought Id post it
    quite interesting site I must say.

18. jgills240

jgills240 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just caught up with your thread here. Looks pretty neat! Do you feel any instability with the tricycle arrangement? for example, when you're braking and preparing to make a turn?

19. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I added my "pin" to that map after Priussoris posted the link to the site. But there doesn't seem to be much else of interest there.

There is no instability at all. But it bounces a lot as it goes down the road. There is speculation it may need different springs, especially due to the extra 210 lbs of batteries.

20. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 15 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]442833[/snapback]</div>
    gee daniel, having ridden a lot of golf carts that did not bounce, i think i'd rather bounce than not. the ones that dont can make a very jarring ride. went shrimping last saturday and on the way back to the docks in the late afternoon, the water was choppy and it was a very rough ride. so bad that standing up was the only way to save my back. the seats we were sitting on were hard plastic with no springs or much cushion.