1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zap Xebra

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by daniel, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I am amazed at the difference between the sedan and the Pk. Daniel's sedan has springs which are too bouncy. The Pk has springs which hardly move at all. Underneath, the two are just about the same. These things are a blast!

I call my Pk "Hercules". Look how he compares to a run of the mill Ford pickup in the second picture! The Ford pickup actually sticks out about three feet closer to the buildinig than Hercules! I am afraid, without that name, my Pk would have an inferiority complex.

The first picture shows Hercules with his new tires. The bigger batteries overloaded the stock tires.

Tracy, I think these machines would spoil you, they are so much fun!

Allan

Attached Files:

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA @ May 15 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]442842[/snapback]</div>
    The bouncing is severe enough to be uncomfortable, and requires me to keep all my muscles, especially in my back, tense, to keep from getting severely jarred. My Prius rides smoothly. On the very same roads, the Xebra tosses me all over the place. One day soon Allan will give me a ride in his PK and I'll give him a ride in my SD and we'll compare notes.

Would have done it today, but I'm having severe back pain today. I'm hoping the Xebra is not responsible. I do get back pain occasionally. Sometimes the smallest wrong movement can set it off.

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 15 2007, 04:39 PM) [snapback]442833[/snapback]</div>
    Unless that extra weight is putting you on the bump stops, the vehicle should ride much smoother. So that doesn't make all that much sense to me!

4. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 15 2007, 10:58 PM) [snapback]443109[/snapback]</div>
    If I have this right, Norm thinks it should have higher but springier springs. That would hold it up off the stops and allow the inertia of the car to hold it steadier as the wheels follow the irregularities of the road.

5. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Allannde @ May 15 2007, 08:37 PM) [snapback]442874[/snapback]</div>
    Hey, I WANT YOUR PK!!!!!! It's EXACTLY what I WANT!!! Now your making me sad cause I want one but I would have to sell my Gem before I could get one. :(

So Allan with your white PK what is your plans to keep it from rusting? That's one issue I need to figure out before I could get a PK cause I live in WI. (My Gem has a diamondplate bed so I haven't had to worry about it rusting)

Your white PK sure is NICE! (I'm jealous <_< )

Tracy

Oh crap! I got the news media contacting me again. They wanted to come interview me today...NOW. Boy they sure don't give you much of a heads up. I got 2 businesses to run. They are interested in my quest to go battery operated on a bunch of stuff I use. It would be a fun interview IF I was good in front of the camera. I'm not at ALL. I just jumble my words with a camera in front of me. I'm bummed cause I want to tell people about conserving energy but after my last online interview I vowed not to do it again. Sucks I would really like to get out my neat story which I think others would enjoy. I think I could even get on Oprah if I was good in front of the media and pushed forward with my cause.

6. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

7. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Today Allan and I passed our trike driving tests. The Xebra is classified as a three-wheeled motorcycle, and both the written and driving tests are designed accordingly, with absolutely nothing relevant to actually driving this car. The driving test is a timed obstacle course. Weaving around cones. Swerves. Quick stops. Precision stops (front wheel inside a box painted on the ground).

Totally pointless, but that's government for you. We are both now permitted to carry passengers.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow, i haven't poked my head in this thread since you guys posted pictures... those are truly unique cars and i like em!

i hope your back troubles aren't from driving the xebra though.

9. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 25 2007, 06:22 PM) [snapback]450147[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Galaxee. I went to an osteopath on Monday and within a few days my back was okay. She confirmed what I suspected: What triggered this back episode was probably reaching over to roll down the passenger-side window. Because of the cramped space, I had twisted my back in a bad way, setting off the problem. The solution is that I have to be very careful how I lean over to reach the passenger-side door. So it was car related, but only indirectly, and my back has gotten better in spite of driving the car every day.

I will also be getting better springs for it, and that should help a lot.

There may be some more pictures, too. Allan and I took pics of each other during the driving test, using his camera, and when he sends them to me I'll post a few. Unless he just posts them here first.

10. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 25 2007, 06:01 PM) [snapback]450142[/snapback]</div>
    Ah... I remember my daughter's first electric driving test. She was barely walking. My how time flies!

[​IMG]

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 26 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]450270[/snapback]</div>
    Man Darell, you are 'eat up with it'!! I think you should change your name to "Electro Man" and don some tights and a cape! :blink: :lol:

12. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 26 2007, 01:25 AM) [snapback]450270[/snapback]</div>
    Even better than EVs- we should all drive cars that are foot-powered. It worked for Fred Flintstone!

13. ozyran

ozyran New Member

LOL. This picture is pure irony right here, IMO.

Attached Files:

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 26 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]450454[/snapback]</div>
    Someone made that exact comment earlier in the thread. Yes. But how else do you deliver a car that has a 40-mile driving range?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 25 2007, 10:25 PM) [snapback]450270[/snapback]</div>
    Nobody but Darell would install a fake plug on a child's toy car so she can pretend she's driving an electric car, instead of pretending she's driving a gasoline car. :)

15. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 27 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]450726[/snapback]</div>
    The plastic car was a hand-me-down, and when I got it home and cleaned it up, I was not going to put up with the fake gas cap that said "unleaded only." I had the new plug and lettering in there before my daughter first saw it. :)

The new plug I installed was not exactly fake, though it didn't provide traction power. I added LED headlights, and an old UPS battery that was charged via that plug. I later swapped the 110V charger out with a solar panel, but left the plug, of course!

16. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    On Friday Allan and I took our driving tests in our respective Xebras. I was really lucky that the examiner was so nice: I did not have an appointment for that day, but he gave me the test anyway. We both passed and have our three-wheel motorcycle licenses now. The examiner really liked these cars.

[attachmentid=8367]

[attachmentid=8368]

[attachmentid=8369]

[attachmentid=8370]

[attachmentid=8371]

[attachmentid=8372]

[attachmentid=8373]

[attachmentid=8374]

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Did you guys take the same test that a motorcyclist would have to take? I remember that one requirement for my motorcycle license was to drive from one end of the lot to the other while shifting through at least three gears. Not possible in the Xebras!

18. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Two-wheeled motorcycles had to take a test which involved swerving around cones, and stopping quickly. Shifting gears was not required, except insofar as necessary to get up to the required speed for the quick-stop and one of the swerve tests.

Three-wheeled motorcycles had a different swerve course, in recognition of their larger turning radius, plus essentially the same quick-stop test and a very similar fast-swerve test.

Both types had to be able to stop with their front wheel in a box painted on the ground.

We took exactly the same test as the real three-wheel motorcycles. Both Allan and I have larger-than-stock controllers. A stock Xebra might be unable to complete the timed events in the required time, but could still pass the test, since you only lose a few points for going over the time.

I think a real 3-wheel motorcycle should be able to do the test easier than a Xebra, but my getting 100% shows that it can be done.

The examiner said that at one point, one of my wheels lifted 6 inches off the ground. But no points are lost for that. Sean (the Xebra dealer) told me it is impossible to tip a Xebra.

[EDIT:] P.S. The form asked for the engine displacement of the motorcycle. The examiner just put "Electric" for ours. But for my insurance, the agent actually had to do a conversion of motor HP to equivalent displacement.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 27 2007, 09:28 PM) [snapback]450885[/snapback]</div>
    Yikes. A note to the drivers of ANY vehicle: EVERY vehicle can be tipped over. The fewer wheels it has, the easier.

20. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 27 2007, 09:40 PM) [snapback]450892[/snapback]</div>
    Okay. What Sean actually told me was that he was so confident that I could not tip it, that if I did (on my test-drive) he would not hold me responsible. It has an extremely low center of gravity, with batteries along a line in front of, but parallel to, the rear axle, and more along a line from there leading forward along the center of the car. It would require a tremendous force to tip it.

On the other hand, I don't know if he changed his mind after hearing that the examiner claims my wheel came off the ground during my test. :rolleyes:

The maker of the Tango also told me his car is un-tippable, for the same reason.