1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Zero Point Calibration w/Paper Clip?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sideburn, Jan 7, 2013.

1. sideburn

sideburn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello!

Sorry if there's already information out there but I couldn't find it... I need to swap power steering ecu (EMPS). I learned that after the replacement I need to do two things:

1) Initialization of torque sensor zero point calibration

2) Torque zero point calibration

The closest information I found was to do zero point calibration on ABS braking system with paper clip. I wonder what is the correct procedure for EMPS system?

Thanks!!! :)

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have brief notes with me in my PDA, enough to remind me that the EMPS init operation can be commanded by a certain number of pulses of TC to CG, and then connecting TS to CG sets the zero. It's not quite as easy with EMPS as ABS, because you can see what ABS is telling you by its blinking of the ABS light, but the EMPS doesn't have a built-in light on the dash (even though it's wired for one and the wire goes all the way to the combination meter; there just isn't a light there).

So to make sure you're doing what you think you're doing, it helps to bring your own LED and resistor. The manual suggests backprobing it at the EMPS ECU connector behind the glove box; I just permanently mounted the LED and resistor on the combination meter, since the wire goes that far anyway, and it saves a bunch of trouble reading steering codes).

Unfortunately the notes in my PDA are sketchy because I look up the details in the manuals when I need them. I suggest you'll want to do that, whether you view them online at techinfo.toyota.com or prefer your own bound copies. The stuff you want is in Volume 1 and in the Electrical Wiring Diagram.

-Chap

sideburn likes this.
  3. sideburn

sideburn New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Chap, thanks for your insights! When you said 'number of pulses', I assumed you meant quickly plug and unplug paper clip multiple of times? Also, should I turn on and let it stay 'Ready' while doing both init and zero or do I need to turn off after init then turn back on again for zero? I looked into LED and resistor as you pointed out...I'm not techie enuff :p I wonder is there a cheap scanner (or some sort of tool) to read DTCs? Lastly, is 1st Gen Prius OBD port like this?:
    Upper Row: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
    Lower Row: 9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
    4=CG
    13=TC
    14=TS

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just quickly - yes you could pulse by inserting and removing a paper clip but I don't trust my manual dexterity enough not to get the wrong pin on the nth pulse, so I use some wires connected to a switch.

I don't have the manual by my desk and all I'd be doing is typing stuff straight out of it. Your questions above and many more are answered in it, so you'll find it immensely useful. If you don't want the bound paper version it's really cheap to subscribe to techinfo.toyota.com for two days and view or download it.

There are cheap OBD scanners but they won't all see the EMPS ECU. Toyota's TechStream software will, and you can also get it from the same site above (the subscription is a little higher if you want to use the software; I think about $55 for a two-day sub). You have to provide your own laptop and a J2534 adapter (those might be around $400). I'm enough of a skinflint I'm still using the led, wires, and switch.

-Chap

5. Cycle M5

Cycle M5 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did it today. I might do a video on how I did it, but bottom line is you dont need a special tool to do it. It is a process of crossing the TS and CG pins. Its that simple.

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For anyone willing to look in the manual, it's right in there too; just look for "procedure when not using Toyota hand held tester."

-Chap

Cycle M5 likes this.
  7. Asfandyar

Asfandyar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can U plz share the procedure as I don't have the manual

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wouldn't be doing anything but transcribing right out of the manual anyway, which kind of feels like busy-work, and I think it's been done enough times by others it should be possible to find a post where somebody's already done that, if you're staunchly opposed to looking in the manual.

The one thing I'd be cautious about is that there are a bunch of different procedures in the manual that are all triggered by connecting or pulsing those same pins, different numbers of times or under different conditions. Posts where people summarize what's in the manual don't always make that very clear or include all the context, so the manual's about all I trust to get the details right.

9. Asfandyar

Asfandyar New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If U can plz share the video it would be helpfull for us