1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ZYMOL responds to Urban Legend: Liquid is NOT Turtle Wax!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RobertO, Apr 29, 2004.

1. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I talked to them this afternoon at their HQ. Here's the deal.

The famous Zymol paste wax is one product. The Liquid Polish is another. They are both formulated and made by Zymol.

The Liquid Polish is distributed by Turtle Wax under an agreement with Zymol. Hence we see it at Costco and Wally World.

As to the caveats about abrasives in the Liquid Polish, they are there, but they are very mild: fine clay and milled almond shells. It will actully mellow out some fine scratches. This formula also contains some but not all of the "paint nutrient" ingredients that the paste wax is well known for.

They advise users to make up their mind; either use the more involved three-step paste wax method (maximum protection) or use the polish.

When I asked them directly about using the polish to "lay a base" then apply the paste, they said not a good idea.

Just use one or the other, consistently.

I'm thinking I may use the liquid polish on the front bumper and alloy wheels, paste on the rest of the car. They say waxing your alloys is a good idea; helps protect the clear coat from the burnt adhesive (the black stuff that binds the asbestos and other elements to the pads) and other road gunk, and makes the surface much easier to clean.

Also, they said that Zymol paste will NOT turn black plastic grey or leave a white film on top. Personally, I don't ever put wax on black plastic surfaces. I just make sure those surfaces are throuughly dry with no water spots. Leaves nice, matte finish.

If there is a "plastic treatment" that protects and leaves a matte finish, I'd probably use it but they all seem to leave a soft, glossy residue.

I'm in process of doing the car with Zymol paste (used it on my Black Benz 300E for years). Driftwood Pearl really glows now, especially just after sundown.

Hope this helps. Comments?

Bob

2. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the information re: Zymol. I've never used it myself, but I have seen cars done with the liquid. It leaves a beautiful gloss. I think I'll use the paste. What is the three step process you refer to?

3. RobertO

RobertO New Member

See their website, [url=http://www.zymol.com/]http://www.zymol.com/ [/url] (...and Sergio Franchi's Concourse Auto Collection). It has a bunch of FAQ's on the ultimate, anal way to prepare a car for show beginning with the "right" way to wash a car before you detail it. Informative.

Acutually, the paste is not that hard to apply, compared to Blue Coral, etc. No corn starch buff-out, etc. It contains no solvents, so it doesn't discolor plasttic triim if you accidently get some on the plastic.

And it has a very pleasant, coconut fragrance.

Do not eat it or your dentist will need sunglasses to look in your mouth.

Bob

4. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After hunting around various sites tonight, I'm not sure that I will be using Zymol paste. Check out the following link:

http://www.nsxsc.com/nsexcitement/waxtest.html

Not extremely scientific, but seems like an honest attempt.

5. RobertO

RobertO New Member

I don't own an NSX and I don't sell Zymol.

Use Pledge, if it lights your fire.

I knew I guy who wiped his Morris Minor station wagon down with kerosene. Looked fine, never oxidized.

Bob

6. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry Bob
    I was just sharing some information that I thought might be useful.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    No need to be sorry, I found the info intriguing :)

8. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Robert, did you try the Zymol liquid on the Bumper?

I picked some up today, and was having misgivings about using even their very mild almond paste polish on the plastic bumpers.

I don't think it's a bad thing for my paint, because I have a black Prius, which means no clear-coat and budding swirlies, so it seems like a good fit.

As far as I can tell Zymol says nothing about not using it on painted bumpers, and it seems logical that it should be fine, but I'm just paranoid, as all good cult members should be :)

9. RobertO

RobertO New Member

Unless I'm way off base, the coat the bumpers with the same finish medium as metal surfaces, including those hat require a clear coat.

My rationale for paste on the body panels and liquid on the bumpers is that the bumpers, not unlike rocker panels, receive quite a thrashing, a lot of insects, road tar, etc.

Liquid wax, with a super mild polipolishingnt should be easier to use on those surfaces while providing a result that nearly mimics paste wax performance.

My rationale aside, you might give Zymol a call. They were very helpful when I talked to them.

You can make your own mind up once you've hear what they have to say.

What ever you use, avoid any products that contain silicone, including tire or wheel dressings.

Regards,

Bob

Bob