1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Ran Out of Gas Now Car Wont Start :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Marta Paglianni, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Marta Paglianni

Marta Paglianni Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On Friday I went away for the weekend. When I arrive at my destination I noticed that the gas tank only have one gas bar. I figured I would fill it up before heading back home today Sunday. Then an hour ago I got into my car for a 2 hrs drive home but the car is not starting at all.
    The empty spot where I was able to par the car was a small down hill. So I figured that the car was getting a signal telling it computer that the tank was empty even though it was showing a bar but the down hill must had affected the signal. A friend took me to a gas station where I was able to put at least 3 gallons on it. Before I went to the gas station the car key would not get out of the slot and it was telling me something on the screen and the key was been blocked. So to the gas station we went then we put the 3 gallosn and ZERO!! My car is still not starting up. I called a local dealership but the service dept is closed until tomorrow :( The person who answered said that there is nothing to do but to take it to the dealer tomorrow so they can reset it. Is he right on this? I remembered once before when I ran out of gas and I put some gas in the tank and was able to crank it up after putting gas in it. Then went to the gas station and filled it up. But this time nothing is happening. Do I need to ad more gas? What should I do. Also I must ad that after adding the 3 gallons the car panel is black and no msg is showing at all. Like all is dead :(

Any help is welcome.

Very frustrated and trying to make it back home and to my morning job.

Thank you

Marta

2. Marta Paglianni

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    BTW I am new in here and sorry I didnt say howdy but my frustration got the best of me. So hello to everyone in here and thanks for any help.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the Gen II maintenance and troubleshooting forum.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Turn on your car's headlights. Are they bright?

If no, then your 12V battery is dead and you either need to jumpstart the car (but you need to be careful to observe the correct battery polarity) or install a new battery. If you allow the jumpstart to be botched, that can easily cause a failed inverter which is a four-digit repair bill.

2. If your 12V battery is OK (based upon your headlights working properly), and "all is dead" then you'll need to tow your car to your local Toyota dealer for help. Good luck.

5. Marta Paglianni

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to get the key out. But there is NO lights, all is dead. I cant even open the trunk or lock the car with the keys. Car is par on a slop facing down and it only had 1 gas bar. Now I put at least 4.5 gallons and still nothing.
    Now I remember that I received this msg before all went dead. But dont know what it means. Do you think that unplugging the battery neg cable would reset the computer?
    "P LOCK MALFUNCTION WHEN PARKING, PARK IN FLAT PLACE AND APPLY PARKING BRAKE SECURELY."

THx so much. Very upsetting.

6. Marta Paglianni

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do I jump start my car without botching it and getting a 4 digit repair bill. So how do I observe the correct battery polarity? THX so much.

7. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That "P LOCK....." message is one of the normal indications of a failed 12V battery that has been reported here. All you need to do to jump the car is to make sure the positive (Red) goes to the positive. The negative (Black) goes to the negative. You can jump it from the battery in the back, or under the hood in the relay box under the windshield. If you feel unsure about it, have someone do it who knows. It is easy. As your model is 2005, if your battery is original, it is overdue for replacement.

8. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Original battery?

9. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    see attached pdf....jump from the fuse box under the hood...

Attached Files:

10. Marta Paglianni

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks thanks for all your help and the pix and diagrams. YES is an original battery. We tried both of those things. First from the engine in the relay box but the jumper cable end was too big to placed below the red cover inside the fuse cover. Then we tried the back, and yes we had to crawl from the back door since the trunk door would not open, then as soon as the cables were all hooked all the lights on my dash came on. Everything. BUt the car would not start. I noticed an orange light on the power button. I tried to push the power a couple more times and nothing. SO tomorrow I will buy a new battery since everything is closed now. ANy idea how much the battery cost at the dealer? Is there another place where I can buy it cheaper? I would like to try and put it myself since the dealer would probably charge en arm and two legs for it :) If this helps at all, I am stuck in Orange County California. Thanks again.

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not easy to replace the Prius 12V battery. Please do a search so that you can see what is involved.

Don't be surprised if the dealer parts counter cost is ~$200 - $250 for the battery. Assuming that you must buy a battery on Monday, the dealer is really the only alternative.

If you still have jumpstart help available to you now, try fully disconnecting the 12V battery first by removing the battery's negative cable where it connects to the body. Wait 5 minutes to allow all ECUs to reset.

Then reconnect the negative cable to the body, hook up the jumpstart cables once more, and see if there is any improvement.

12. Marta Paglianni

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Patrick, yes I am doing research now. And we did that with the 12v battery. It was disconnected for more than 10 secs and nothing positive developed. I found that there is a Toyota place near here call Caspian Motors. I will call them 2morrow and see how they charge compare with the dealer. I think I had enough. But want to thank you all for the great info and help. And Happy Fathers day to all the fathers out there.

13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You should try again before the dealer sets you back big bucks. This battery has special ends but otherwise can be bought online much cheaper. Also you can buy adapter connectors to allow a "normal" small battery to work. I think this forum has a shop with the parts.

But the key right now is to get the "Ready" on your dash to come up. Remember the engine may not start immediately, all you want is the "Ready". The high voltage battery will then charge your 12 v battery as long as "Ready" is there. Try from the front again. You might have to leave the jumper cables on for 5 minutes to allow some charge to the rear 12 v battery. The jumper "can" be attached to the tab or the bolt (see pic) or just hold it on. Or find some cheap jumper cables with smaller ends, usually available for $15 dollars at Walmart or even a grocery.

[​IMG]

Marta Paglianni likes this.
  14. Marta Paglianni

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RJparker I will give it another try tomorrow andmake sure it stays on for 5 minutes or so. But I truly believe that my car needs a new battery. It has its original one and car has over 100,000 miles :) I would love to get the car going so I can drive it back home and then order a new battery online for a better price.
    A male friend is driving over and will give me a hand with this issue. Otherwise I will need to get one from the dealer. Any auto parts sells them at all and cheaper than the dealer? Thanks for your help.

15. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A few links:
    Battery from Advance Auto (link in referenced PriusChat post)
    Great Deal on Optima Battery - $125 + Tax | PriusChat

Adapter cable that would allow several conventional small batteries
    (I bought one ahead of time and keep it in my 08 Prius along with a cheap jumper cable)
    Installation Kit for Optima battery in Prius

Instructions on replacing battery:
    Prius 2004 to 2009:
    Open trunk.
    Remove floor and plastic panels.

The mounting bracket is a little harder as it requires a socket extender because there is plastic box in front of this.
    You also have to disconnect and reconnect the ventilation hose that connects to the battery but that is not a huge challenge.

You also have to remove and reinstall a ventilation duct. (two bolts and a little finesse [explained in the instructions])
    So it is more work than a traditional car but very doable if you have the tools!

Minimum tools needed:
    10 mm wrench or 10mm deep socket
    10mm socket
    socket extender 5 inches or longer (you can put two together)
    tape
    straight edge screw driver
    small battery or jump start battery to maintain the 12 volts in the Prius so you do not loose any presets. (Optional but recommended!)

16. Marta Paglianni

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks I was able to make it back home n to my job, an hr lat :), this morning. Thx so much for all your help. Now car is at home and, on a much relaxed setting, I will get a new battery from one the plcs recommended here.
    rjparker I did what you said and we tried it again with a much smaller jump cable. After 3 or 4 mins car computer woke up. I was so happy. Then right away I took off. thx for your last msg which gave me the will to believe.

So glad I came in here. The greedy man at the dealership, which I fone before coming here, told me that once my car was out of gas and dead there was nothing else that could be done but to bring the car to the dealership. Things like that leaves you with a terrible feeling when I am sure he knows as much or more than most Folks in here. Again my gratitude to all of you. MP

Justdidit likes this.
  17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Prius battery is a Japanese form factor. Three years ago when I needed one NOBODY else had an exact replacement. More options are now available. I don't know how plentiful they are.

Look at your situation from the Service Writer's point of view. He is told a car is out of gas & completely dead. Did you expect him to tell you to fill the tank and shop around for a 12v battery? So after calling a parts store or two & maybe a battery warehouse everyone tells you they don't have a battery. So now you're taking the car to the dealer to buy their battery.

Make sure the battery is fully charged before installation. You can check the voltages through the MFD.

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Very good. Now you know more about jump starting a Prius than most of the mechanics out there. It is very likely that the back hatch was not closed 100% allowing the "trunk" light to stay on. It will not turn itself off. It has a switch next to the light to turn it "off" permanently, which is a good idea unless you really need it. Your battery could still be good but a new one is likely warranted.

If you wish to take the graduate exam in Prius battery studies use the car display to check the 12v battery:

Prius Battery Check

Do this test after you have driven the car for at least 30 minutes. This will give the battery a chance to be fully charged.

• Put the transmission in Park.
    • Engage the parking brake
    • Push in the power button. (if not already on)
    • Press and hold the "Info" button on the MFD while turning the headlights on and off 4 times.

• Push on Menu in upper right of display screen.
    • Push on Display Check
    • Push on Vehicle Signal Check
    • You will see the 12 volt voltage displayed. In accessory mode the voltage should be 12.6 vdc

• With no electrical accessories on including lights the voltage should be fluctuate between 12.6 and 11.9. The lower the voltage, the less of a charge your battery currently has. If the voltage is very (10v) low do not proceed as the load test might totally discharge your battery. (If you see a voltage around 13.8 you are seeing voltage from the high voltage battery being converted to around 13.8 in an attempt to recharge your battery. This normally does not occur till after you start the engine but might occur earlier if the battery is very drained.)

• You can also test the battery by turning on the headlights, rear window heater and the heater fan. For a new battery the voltage would be around 11.3. If the voltage drops below 10.2 it should definitely be replaced. For voltages in between the lower the voltage, the lower current charge of your battery.

• Push on the brake pedal and push start. You should see Ready in the Speed display. The voltage should now read between 13.8 to 14.2 and higher in winter. This is the charging voltage!

Note: If in doubt disconnect the 12 volt battery completely (start with the negative post to avoid shorting the battery) and hook it up to a battery tester at an auto parts store.

Attached Files:

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Put a note on your dashboard: when the gas gauge gets low, buy gas.

Marta Paglianni and kenoarto like this.