1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius: Options for [removable?] roof racks for 2 10.4 ft kayaks

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Brock, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius has no roof racks on it, I purchased two kayaks and was wondering if there is a non permanent option for roof racks for my kayaks? The guy at Bass Pro shops told me I had to get roof racks installed then buy the cross bars for mounting my kayaks since one has to be on its side while the other is flat.

Any suggestions? I don't really want permanent roof racks put on...
    sorry i'm new to all this and have never installed or used roof racks, can I just get like some cross bars that attach that i could like close in the door then get kayak holders that attach to them?

Any suggestion on where to look for said items?

Thanks

2. Woodswagon1

Woodswagon1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I'm new here too but have had Yakima roof racks for years on my woods buggys. I too am looking to get a set more for a travel pod but the occasional slap a kayak on if its just me. Guess my advise is Yakima makes a realy good product and I'm going to be buying a set for my prius mostly for a travel pod when we vaca or the occasional strap a kayak on. Your gonna need towers cross bars and saddles/cradles for the kayaks. I've had a total of 9 kayaks strapped to my racks on my jeep cherokee and was more worried about rolling it over than the racks failing!!!

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three