1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

California emissions warranty - coolant valve coverage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ommatidia, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ommatidia

ommatidia New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have 09 Prius around 56K mileage. A few years ago, there was a water pump recall and I got my car serviced at the dealer in Richardson TX. A few months after that, the check engine light began to lit intermittently, it would go off after a few trips then would come back. I moved to California and since the last few months, the check engine light has been constantly on. I got the codes scanned at a local shop (not Toyota dealer), P1116, P1121 and P1150 showed up. These are all coolant heat storage system related.
    I need to register the car in California but with the check engine light on, it will fail for sure. I got repair quotes around $700 from multiple shops (except the dealer again).
    I read recently that Toyota has a California Emissions Warranty that could cover the repairs. I called Toyota headquarters and they suggest that I should get the car diagnosed at a Toyota dealer which charge $120 just for diagnosis. They said even after I get it diagnosed there, the warranty may not apply.
    Has anybody gone through such an issue? Would such a repair be covered under the CA emissions warranty? Is there a way to get the dealer agree to a free diagnosis?

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    (I am not Toyota, but this is my understanding of the CARB warranty)
    All Prius sold in the US get a 8 year/100,000 mile Hybrid warranty. If the car is sold in a CARB state*, and is currently registered in a CARB state, then it is eligible for a longer 10 year/150,000 mile warranty. As I understand your Prius, it was not sold in a CARB state, and is not currently registered in a CARB state, so it has no chance for the longer warranty.

*CARB states follow the California Air Resources Board regulations: The 2014 list of CARB States in the US | PriusChat

Here is your 2009 Warranty: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-09PriusWI/pdf/2009_Prius_OWI_lr.pdf
    page 25 of the PDF which is page 23 of the manual, lists the CARB covered parts of the car.

Currently, you are covered by the Federal warranty. Page 19 of the PDF, page 17 of the manual, which sounds very much like it does cover your repair.

#2 JimboPalmer, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As per Jimbo the main thing CARB gives you longer (10-yr vs. 8-yr ) coverage on certain qualifying parts.

Academic point in this case, but I am reading that 2009 warranty closely to see if says vehicle must be originally purchased in a CARB state...I am not seeing that clearly spelled out. Definitely however you must be registered in a CARB state to get the CARB 10-yr warranty.

#3 wjtracy, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015