1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Camping question (hopefully not a repeat)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by gracenalani, Jul 9, 2014.

1. gracenalani

gracenalani New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

This is my first post on the forums! I tried searching for an answer to my question but couldn't find exactly what I'm looking for... but sorry in advance if this is a repeat question.

I am hoping to drive cross country in my Prius. I've done it several times before but I've always slept in hotels. This time I'm hoping to either pull into rest stops and sleep in the car or maybe rent a camp site. I'm female in my 20's, going alone except for my giant golden retriever. He's great at warning me if anyone is close to the car so I feel pretty safe going alone, but I would feel a lot better if I could figure out how to convert my front seat into a sleeping area. Ideally, if someone got close to the car, I could just sit up and drive away.

Most of the modifications I've seen for prius camping are some combination of sleeping in the trunk or passenger seat. Does anyone have any idea if there can be modifications made so I could sleep in the front seat and be able to drive away relatively quickly if anyone shady were to approach the car?

Thanks in advance.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you tinted all your windows, you can sleep in the back without anyone knowing you are back there. Sleeping on the front seat is just awful after a long drive.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful about sleeping in the cockpit.
    It can make it easier to fall asleep there when you don't want to.

The pooch should be able to alert you if there's anything hinky going on near the car and many rest stops have a LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) present and you can conk out near him or her. In addition to state-owned rest stops some of the larger truck stops are good for a quick battle nap and a shower. If it's in a crowded place, nobody is going to want to break a window and deal with a pissed off dog to get to you.
    Take a can of wasp spray.
    No Kidding.
    Many of my outside techs eschew the pepper spray that we issue them because the 25-foor stream of Raid (we use a generic brand) is sooooo effective at keeping vermin away.

About 100 years ago I did a four-corners tour of the US with a friend in a small hatchback. I got a small tent and used some state parks most of which have places for primitive camping.
    Some of these are quite nice with concrete pads, an outlet and many state parks have shower facilities, laundry, etc. Many also have 24-hour security and I've never felt the least bit uncomfortable sleeping in them.
    If you go with a tent, get a ground pad as well a sleeping bag.
    You don't need much.
    All together you can get by for about the cost of a night's hotel stay, and these can be orders of magnitude better than a rest stop nap.

You've already done it, so you already know...many places out west are pretty far from all the other places, so a little planning is required.
    You have three advantages:
    Youth, the pooch, and superior communications.
    Use them and have fun!

Post some pictures.

Good Luck!

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  5. gracenalani

gracenalani New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all very much! I didn't really think about the fact that even if someone were stupid enough to approach my car with my dog barking wildly, his barking would give me enough time to scramble in the front seat. And you're right, a standard camp grounds would be safe enough. I've stayed in some pretty scary hotel rooms (like a hotel in a remote area of Wyoming with its "secure" door propped wide open when I checked in). I'm a little nervous and probably over-paranoid! I'll definitely pick up a few cans of spray :)

I've been looking at campgrounds and I think this is going to be so much better for my dog and me. In a hotel, he barks EVERY TIME someone passes in the hallway... which no matter how deserted the hotel or far away from the lobby I request our room be always ends up the worst night sleep ever. Plus he can't run around at all. I found several camp grounds with enclosed dog runs and even dog bathing stations, not to mention a camp ground is much more fun to look at than old motel art!

Burna J likes this.
  6. gracenalani

gracenalani New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wanted to give a little update:

I read a bunch of articles about how to build a bed... People get very elaborate!! I don't even own a screwdriver so I kept it simple. Very simple.

I folded the rear passenger seat down and put a kick board (for swimming) at the top pushed against the front passenger seat. Then I put three couch cushions down. The weight of the cushion kept the kickboard from falling (as it is hanging unsupported about 6 inches from the top of the folded seat). Then I put one of those egg carton foam pads down and covered it with a sheet. This thing is crazy comfy, the cushions make it extremely portable -- just stack them up! -- and it took me about two minutes to assemble from items I already had laying around my house.

usnavystgc and Feri like this.
  7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I hope you have a great trip. :). I am so envious.

8. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sleeping in your car at rest stops is not at all safe for anyone. I don't think sleeping in your car is safe anywhere. This is a dangerous world we live in. That's my opinion.