1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Backup Camera Replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Rixmixx, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Rixmixx

Rixmixx Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I have a 2012 Prius Plug In Advanced with Nav and Back Up Camera. The system works fine but i would like to upgrade the camera to a higher quality picture while adding parking lines at the same time. i would like to just get the camera and replace the original one as a plug and play with the original harness so i don't have to take the interior apart to run cables. Does any one know of a company that makes a direct replacement such as this that runs at the correct voltage that i could just swap out??

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've added two more cameras to my Prius, which I ordered from AliExpress, and the regular composite signal they transmit works just fine on the screen. They don't seem to be high-res, so I wonder if it's a design-spec for such cameras. However, I've played DVDs on that screen, so I don't see a problem with higher-res.

They also had wire loops at the camera-end which if cut, would put parking lines on the screen. I thought about running those wires up to a switch, but I really don't want parking lines.

Mine is mostly like this one:
    Mini CCD HD Vision 360 Degree Car Parking Front View Camera Front View Side Reversing Backup Camera-in Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

DaneH5 likes this.
  3. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you using one for the front? How are switching between the different camera's?

4. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have added one in the front, and one on the right side. For now I have to switch to "VTR" source to view them, but I plan to wire them into the backup circuit eventually. They are controlled by a 3-position toggle switch, with "off" in the center position.

Front parking-camera project | Page 2 | PriusChat

mrstop likes this.