1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Map Updates

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by btcompute, Nov 4, 2013.

1. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I KNEW I SHOULD HAVE KEPT MY MAGNUM !!!

2. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The gun, the car, OR BOTH?

(Having just gotten sick Christmas eve, and having to work on a computer virus, actually more specifically a rootkit, for over a week on a computer from the office:)

Using a single USB stick is kind of risky. I must admit the 16 GB dongle is practically full, and that amount of data wouldn't fit on a DVD, but I don't know of a way to write protect it. What if someone's Nav was infected by a virus? What would happen to all the cars that came in for an update afterwards? This could potentially be a nightmare for Toyota. It's almost like sharing a needle.....

3. somainer

somainer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three

My 2014 Prius V three lists the map version as "Nav ID: 20130716"

Does anyone else have a more recent version? Can catgic or others who have recently bought an update please tell us their version number?

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I went to the Bosch website to try to figure this out:

Welcome to Bosch Automotive Service Solutions LLC Toyota

In the upper left there is a search box. Change the option to "Tool Name", type "USB" (without the "") in the white box and click "GO". A list of USB devices are there. As far as I can tell 2013, denoted as -13 is the latest...

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    JZChen & Somainer – Scratching my head, and looking at the Tool Number - Tool Description list, it looks to me like the last Toyota Harmon “TOYH” - Drive Navigation Map Update - Harman Becker, GPS map update, carries a “-12” suffix. There is a Drive Navigation Map Update - Harman Becker, GPS map update, listed with suffix “-13,” but it looks to be a Scion Harmon “SCIH” - Drive Navigation Map Update - Harman Becker, GPS map update.

I purchased and had my GPS Navigation Map Update installed on 7/12/13. It is a Toyota Harmon Becker Drive Navigation Map Update, and carries a “-12” suffix.

6. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Following the pattern, mine goes: TOYD-HDD07-12 to TOYD-HDD07-13

Harman unit goes from: TOYH-EXT01-12 to TOYH-EXT01-13 or TOYH-EXT101-13

(
    See this link for '12 Harman:

2012 Prius v Navigation updates | Page 4 | PriusChat

)

Can't tell for sure but sounds like -13 is correct to me. Anyone got TIS access for me to verify? Don't really want to pay right now.....

7. btcompute

btcompute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2012 V3 says: NQNA2010Q4
    I imagine that is an outdated version.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't suppose you purchased your v in 2011? Since the 2011 update would have come out around Nov of '11 then this is the only way, or more specifically if the build date was before this time period, that such a map would be on a '12 model year car.

I guess everyone considering a purchase of a car built around September, October or November should be wary of the navigation map version.

When I did an update the internet parts guy here:

Carson Toyota TRD Parts, Replacement parts and accessories for Southern California

had the best price for the Activation Card.

Probably the cheapest way to update is to ask your local dealer(s) if you could bring in the activation card and ask how much to install the update, (with or without the activation card. Hence you can compare the price just in case they jack up the installation cost to punish you for not buying the activation card from them.)

9. btcompute

btcompute Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    jzchen,

I purchased the car in April of 2012. I don't have immediate access to the build date, it could have been before 11/12.

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Latest Harman unit update part number: TOYH-EXT01-13 pamphlet: 86272-HDD07-00
    Latest Denso unit update is still: TOYD-HDD07-13 pamphlet: 86271-HDD07-13

I'd buy the pamphlet and ask a dealer to install the update. Not worth it buying the USB stick and paying for TIS access unless a lot of people pool together for that.

11. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Toyota TIS has repair manual information on the '12 Prius v, and I noticed when accessing it last week that it notes what seems to be build date starting from of June 2011. It is denoted in the upper right of the pages I printed as "Prod Date Range: [06/2011- ]". That is early enough to have a '10 database, that through possibly Sept of 2011. Dealers have told me this is a slow selling Prius, and I'm betting your map is that old because you got a build date in that time frame...

Latest update information I could find are in the post just above for anyone interested...

#31 jzchen, Jun 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
  12. ClydeSDale

ClydeSDale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I was on here poking around trying to figure out why the nav system in our 2013 V3 dumped all our saved locations. My wife uses it but we don't totally trust it after it gave her some bogus information one night and she got lost. I know ... garbage in, garbage our but here again she was using a saved location that we'd used before. Personally I LOVE my Garmin which gets transferred into the V whenever we do serious traveling. It gives traffic, speed limits and free lifetime updates. Bought a ball mount that snaps into the center air vent.

I'm totally unwilling to shell out for upgrades to a system that doesn't even tell you which direction you're traveling unless you use the 2D north up setting. Love the car but the navigation system is a BIG disappointment for us.

Robert Holt likes this.
  13. Robert Holt

Robert Holt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agree! Price for updates ridiculous!
    Have a TomTom with free Lifetime updates mounted on passenger side as DW navigates wile I drive. That entire unit with 5-inch screen was $110, and the map updates every 4 months or so work fine altho entire process does take about 3hours.

14. D74R90SMAT

D74R90SMAT Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can't beat size on the cell phone if you can live with an ad every once in awhile.

SCH-I545 ?

15. B.Squid

B.Squid New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have to agree with Robert that the price is rediculious! My portable Garmin directs better, uses it's slightly smaller screen (4.5) more efficiently so I get more info, and has free lifetime map upgrades. Lane assist is clear, I get live traffic, and the anti-glare screen protector I have on it prevents the screen from washing out… Toyota needs to do better...

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
  17. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well, Garmin made Chrysler Nav and there are no free updates and cost of system is expensive. Buy a Chrysler and one can still complain with the same thing.
    thing is our PND is consumer grade electronics, whats in the car is automotive grade and they cost alot more.

maybe this help u understands why it cost so much
    What is the difference between Automotive Grade (GCM) and standard grade (GRM) capacitors? | FAQ of Monolithic Ceramic Capacitors | Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd

Oh... Maps iirc also have Automotive grade vs consumer grade.

Garmin life traffic feed is from Here, not really good. I still prefer Inrix traffic. Next time pull up your phone and compare with Here.com.. terrible

18. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I appreciate the physical difference in consumer and automotive grade as I have to cope with aviation grade replacement parts and systems, but I can only see that applying to the physical unit. So I can understand an in-dash unit or an in-cockpit unit being more expensive than the consumer grade unit for initial purchase. However, The map upgrades are just reading new files into the memory of the physical device, so the cost to upgrade should be the cost of transferring a digital file, which is essentially zero.
    If you mean the map information itself comes in different grades, then consumers should surely be allowed a choice between a $150+ Toyota quality street map upgrade or a $10 Garmin or Tom Tom quality upgrade. I am using both systems in parallel and neither I nor DW can see any difference in the quality or usability of the Toyota vs Tom Tom map versions. ( a Bad Elf GPS system that Bluetooth connects to my iPad is also being evaluated.)

19. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    not sure if U are in sw, free map updates are build into the cost of the garmin or tomtom units.
    Not sure if consumers has the rights to choose as auto makers have the liability issue from what I read.
    CE devices make it clear they are not liable, auto makers somehow cannot do that. I gather it may have something to do with the gov, heavily regulated.
    even the diff is 0.01% I don't think auto maker wanna risk that.

FYI; Garmin maps come from Here (Nokia Navteq), in fact many USA OEM makers uses Here maps. Garmin in Chrysler U have to pay, Garmin on CE can be free.

iirc some Lux brands such as BMW does not take gov suggestion to lock out screen but the same maps from Here can still cost $200.

not familiar with aviation, are aviation maps/chart free?

20. Robert Holt

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Er, no, aviation charts are not free, but Jeppesen, for example offers digital Visual Flight Rule charts for $50 per year, whereas Instrument Flight Rule charts have more detail (IFR appoaches, etc.) and are a LOT more expensive ($250+ ??). I fly VFR and so need only the cheaper subscription. Other aviation chart vendors similarly have different levels of digital map services, I think. (The basic map service with Bad Elf is free, and includes either roads only, satellite pictures only, or a "hybrid" view where satellite images are superimposed on the road information, which is the format I like best for driving and would like to try to fly with.)

You could be correct on the liability issue of map updates, I'm not a lawyer and had not thought of that. But from the "end user" point of view, the quality of the info is the same or slightly better in the Tom Tom (we can actually use the POIs to find hotels in strange cities and so forth), and the display is distinctly more visible in strong sunlight (DW concurs with this). Also nice to have co-pilot (DW) be able to actively work with the Tom Tom system while I am driving, which is not possible with the Toyota system.