1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2012 Prius v Navigation updates

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Flyman, Nov 19, 2011.

1. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I love (NOT) how the service guy said you might need to replace the drive in the head unit! As I know this is only applicable to 1998 or 1999, (from what I recall on TIS), Lexus vehicles with Navigation. What a scare tactic!!! Funny thing is that that costly update only will get you up to map data from 2004! Waste of money. I don't know why they even designed a hard drive replacement update if they could only get up to 2004 data.

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Sound advice. Most map updates are disappointing and costly. Might want to consider updating every other update, or when you feel it's absolutely necessary.

:)Not a valid reason to be anti Toyota. Most other manufacturers have similar policies. Reminds me of a incident with a co-worker once. I needed some information with a deadline, that she missed. Jokingly and sincere, I stated my displeasure, and I was mad at her. She responded with, "you'll just have to be mad". Cool answer, I got over it.

I personally like having a factory NAV system. Not always the best, but they're getting better. For some vehicles, it provide a nice media interface you normally wouldn't have. Although some what common place now, always a nice selling feature if selling private party used and I like the factory look.

3. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    No, it opened fine for me. The TSB is for the Premium HDD Navigation Map Update Process. Do you perchance have the TSB for the map update for the regular HDD nav? Is it a separate update set of instructions? Thanks for any info.

4. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sure it is. I expect a $30K vehicle purchase to have the latest updates on nav maps, service bulletins, recalls, etc. Why would you NOT expect the maps to be the latest Toyota has when you purchase the vehicle? Do you enjoy being outdated products?

5. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm afraid I do not have the instructions for the regular nav. I was trying to figure out how to add DRLs and was interested in updating the NAV so I took a look... I'll check if/when I sign up again though.

BUT

The bad news is that I called up the internet department parts guy who I like buying from and he said I can only get the activation card/number. You would have to get it installed at a stealer, I mean dealership. He called Toyota and they told him they only sell one of the USB SSTs per dealership... I did go ahead and order one of the activation cards, part # 86271-HDD07-00, but am wondering what exactly I'm going to do with it besides go to the dealer...

Sadly, I guess they found this the only way to fight piracy. :( (I always buy my updates....)

The original that I scanned was in color, the one I uploaded is not because the color makes the .pdf much larger and I wasn't allowed to upload it. I did have to go and scan it again...

6. oldualer

oldualer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Streets or freeways? Traffic info?

SCH-R530M ? 2

8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)No. Toyota should have a better policy. Free upgrade if GPS maps are older than a certain amount time when purchasing a NEW vehicle. Toyota makes some of the best, most reliable vehicles in the world. It will take more than outdated GPS maps for me to cross them off my car purchase list for life.

9. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    TOYD-HDD07-12 is available from the telephone number listed on the TSB. Price is $75.86 plus shipping. I'm afraid the person didn't give me a total but estimated $10 - $12 for shipping ground. So I purchased the Pamphlet/Activation Key for $155 including shipping (plus tax most likely,) and the USB dongle for around $86.86 estimated. Total so far is $241.86. I wonder which level of TIS would allow me to create the License Key, if any....

10. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Waiting for TIS to help me about producing a license key. Tab is not available on the professional subscription level....

11. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When you get this to work, would you consider renting it out for others to download their map updates?

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I said I was going to check for information regarding the regular nav. I currently have a 2 day Professional subscription. I am going to try to check if it is the same. I did read Toyota TIS policy about redistribution of materials and it's a no no. I am not going to post TSBs anymore because of this. But I think I can safely explain what I do find....

Yes, I have no issue with sharing. I don't think Toyota is very concerned about this item. I'm just concerned about getting it back....

13. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Update on Display Audio/Harman unit:

The USB is different, part #: TOYH-EXT01-12 AKA SST (special service tool), available from 800-933-8335
    Activation card part #: 86272-HDD07-00, available from dealer. Got my version from Carson's internet parts guy for $155 shipped. If you can find cheaper, more power to you.

Process is a little different. Vehicle ON (Ready Off) push SETUP, -> General -> System Information and record Nav ID. You will need the USB/SST device on hand, and connect it to the car. It will provide a "Request Code" that also needs to be entered on TIS, along with VIN. Toyota TIS would probably do this for you if you have a professional level subscription and demonstrate proof that you bought an Activation pamphlet, kind of like what I am going through, but it is not currently available on the TIS directly on the site to regular/independent users like me. You will have to call them. They will probably help you resolve the issue quite quickly. License key generated will be necessary to install.

After all the money I spent, I think it might be cheaper to just buy the activation card and have a dealer do the rest....

14. Ivan White

Ivan White Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Great! Thanks for the explanation too about the nav update USB 86272-HDD07-00 for my unit. Have you noticed yet her the map updates seem substantial?

15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That is actually the part number you buy from the dealer. You will get a pamphlet with a code inside. (I guess you can equate this with buying a Microsoft Office license key. The software is on the other part number, TOYH-EXT01-12, which is a USB dongle.

We have a '04 Sienna in the household with the current 12.1 update. When my grandmother was taken to Loma Linda University Medical Center in Murrieta we went to go visit her. The hospital is on the 12.1 update, but when we used the Prius v it is not. I kind of wanted the update because of this...

I am still waiting for the USB device at this moment. It is set to be delivered Tues. I informed the tech at TIS about the fact that I have not received the USB yet, and he advised to wait before generating the key because I asked if it may expire, and he wasn't sure. I did explain how this is such a complicated/more expensive process as compared to other manufacturers...

16. ems2158

ems2158 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I have a 3 year old Garmin 2350 that I bought for $169 with lifetime traffic and maps that works better than the Toyota nav. The procedure and cost that Toyota imposes on us to get a map update is unacceptable. I can't think of one good thing to say about the Toyota navigation unit. How hard would it be for Toyota to allow you to download the maps to a usb drive and key them to your VIN and install it yourself? It seems to work for Garmin.

It truly aggravates me when I think of how much I spent for the navigation system and how useless it is.

17. umichioe

umichioe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Car companies are greedy. Not just Toyota. They know we want the map update, why give us for free if no one else does?

18. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

As a past computer engineering student, I can understand they want money for a map update. What is kind of upsetting is that if you wanted to do it yourself, what you have to go through. There are other ways to protect your data from illegal piracy, than to make someone purchase a key, and then have to purhase the physical software from another place, and then have access/pay for TIS, which in this case it doesn't even work, you have to call them, to produce another key to install it. That is kind of overprotection.

At least people can share the USB device cost, and then individually purchase the AVN, but then they would still have to go through the trouble of TIS, if/when they get it up and running, or as of now have to call TIS....

#78 jzchen, May 31, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  19. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Indeed Toyota GPS system is of very poor quality.
    It does not even display GPS Coordinates at current vehicle location.

20. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well it can display GPS Coordiantes if you throw enough money at the Prius and get the Adv. Tech. Pkg.
    Here they are on the Premium HDD Navigation 7 inch display. Second page of MAP MODE split screen options.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Coordinates are displayed under the compass on the 2012 Prius v (wagon) w ATP.

tanasit likes this.