1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Multiple warning lights came on - 12v battery related?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bfguilford, Dec 26, 2012.

1. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had noticed a drop in MPG in the last month (more than normal this time of year), so I started searching on PC. That lead me to testing my 12V battery 4 days ago, with the following results:
    No load: 11.8V
    Load: 11.5V
    Charge: 14.2V

Car started and ran fine, but since the battery is the original on my 2006 with just under 130,000 miles on it, I figured I'd get a new 12V the next time there was a good deal at Advance Auto. No other symptoms until today. After driving around 150 miles on Saturday, the car sat for 3-1/2 days in 25-40 degree temperatures. Started and ran fine today. Did a 5 mile trip, followed by a 1/2 mile trip, followed by a 5 mile trip home. On the way home, the car lit up like a Christmas tree (appropriate for this time of year). Master warning light, brake system light (yellow; not red), check engine light, VSC light, hybrid system light (no ABS light). Turned it off and restarted and the VSC wasn't lit, but everything else still was.

More info... I finally got around to disabling the back-up beep, and the driver side seat belt warning yesterday, which may have run the 12V down even more.

Spent the last hour searching and reading, and am more confused than ever. 12V battery? ECU? Inverter? Local dealership is my place of last resort, so I don't have any codes (yet). Ordered a new Optima 12V from elearnaid.com, because nobody has one in stock around here, and I figured I need one anyway. Will put the battery on a charger overnight.

Question is, do you think I should take it in before replacing the battery? My level of trust in the dealers around here is so low that I'm afraid they'll recommend $2,000 worth of work whether I need it or not. Question 2: Can I drive the car before I replace the battery?

Thanks.

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you disconnect the battery to fit the Optima you will also remove the trouble codes. Check the coolant flow in the tank next to the inverter. In ready you should see movement in the coolant with the cap removed, you should also here noise from the pump itself behind the drivers side headlamp. This pump has been or is the subject of a recall. No movement in the fluid is a sure sign the pump is faulty.

John (Britprius).

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the ambient air temp is pretty cold now in your area, I doubt that a failed inverter coolant pump is causing your warning lights. However you might make the Prius READY and look at the inverter coolant reservoir for fluid turbulence. If you don't see turbulence then the pump is not working.

I agree with your plan to charge the battery overnight. Before you do so, disconnect the 12V battery negative cable where it bolts to the body, so that the ECUs have a chance to power down and reset. Check the tightness of the other battery cable connections.

Then, after you've fully charged the battery overnight, reconnect the 12V battery negative cable to the body, tighten the bolt, and see what happens when you make the Prius READY. Depending upon the presence or absence of warning lights as well as any noticeable driveability symptoms, you'll have answers to your two questions.

It is true that you will lose DTC when you disconnect the battery, but I would not worry about that. If your car has a serious issue, the DTC will come back.

[email protected] and koolingit like this.
  4. TBurnham

TBurnham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same thing happen to me this year on my 2006. I would tell you charge and drive, charge and drive. The only thing that no one mentioned is: if your car is equipped with SKS turn it off (little button under steering colum labeled "KEY") this will help slow the battery drain while the car is parked during the day. I would also remind you that if you do end up dead somewhere - use your key blade to unlock the car - place your key in the slot - turn on to accessory mode (do not start it or put it in ready mode) as long as you have juice in your traction battery lots of times the ECU will charge your 12Volt battery enough to be able to start the car.

5. A Prime Factor

A Prime Factor Formerly "I want my PHEV"

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My battery has been sick, too. Right now it appears dead (car will not start). I plan to charge it tomorrow. I've never done this before. Do I use the jump-start terminals under the hood or do I have to get at the battery in the back?

Also, is it too late to turn off the SKS? That hadn't occurred to me before today.

6. SAHybridBatteryInstallers

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    bfguilford,

I think you might be having the same problem I had with my 2006 Prius, had 150,000 miles on it when a bunch of lights came on (red triangle, check engine light, brake light, exclamation point on the display monitor). People will often get confused with the warning lights on the dashboard and the smart move is to check the 12volt. However, there are some tell tale signs if it's not the 12 volt. My hybrid battery went out and yes this was a nightmare that I had been hoping wouldn't happen for a long time but after taking the car to a toyota dealer, they told my the hybrid battery was going out and would cost $3,800 to replace with only a 1 year warranty to boot for the replacement.

If you need more help, I replaced the battery myself. I ordered the battery through hybrid battery depot with a 18-month warranty and saved over $2000 dollars. If you need more information, please email me. I also am available to help anyone in the San Antonio area if you have the same problem. You can reach me on email at [email protected]. By the way some signs that the hybrid battery is going out is the gas mileage begins to decrease, you start to hear the fan noise coming from near the rear passenger seat.

Dennis

7. SAHybridBatteryInstallers

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I want my PHEV,

The 12 volt battery on the 2004-2009 Prius is in the back not too far from the hybrid battery. You can jump the 12 volt like you would any other battery. Take a look in the right corner (as you look into the hatchback and see the back side of the rear seats and rear view mirror) from the near the front of the hatchback next to where you keep the spare tire. You can lift the little plastic carpet cover lid which covers the battery. First, you must remove the plastic storage area box over the tire. Once that is out of the way, then you can lift the compartment lid to see the battery. You have to unloosen some bolts and other electrical slips covers and brackets to remove the battery; however for charging purposes, the negative battery terminal is visible and easy to get to but the positive has a red cover which takes some manuevering and is actually snaps into the main electrical wiring system. If you can get the red cover off without breaking the detachment, then it's very much like jump-starting any other battery.

8. A Prime Factor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, I know where the battery is. I had someone jump-start it a few days ago and he went there to the back. So, what you're saying is I'll want to get back there to charge it? How long will it take? Don't I have to leave the door open to get power to it?

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've hooked up my Optimate 4 charger to both the jumping terminal in the front (and a strut bolt for negative). I've also charged it back there. I've just left windows open and run the cords thru the window when charging in the back.

How long it'll take depends on the speed of the charger. http://autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid03.pdf (link from AUTOMOTIVE TECHNICAL ARTICLES) says to not go over 3.5 amps. My Optimate 4 doesn't go over 0.8 amps.

[email protected] likes this.
  10. A Prime Factor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't think I can get a window open. :(

11. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys.

Patrick and John: My car was part of the earlier recall for the inverter coolant pump, so I didn't think that would have failed again after 27,000 miles. I started to disconnect the negative cable last night, and decided not to after I had unbolted it half way to see if I could preserve the DTC codes. When I started up today, there were no warning lights. I drove around 12 miles to Advance Auto to have them put a Scanguage on it. When I got there, they couldn't pull the codes. That's when I noticed that the clock was indicating a 4 hour difference, so I guess I had inadvertently disconnected the cable at some point before re-tightening it. I left the car running while I went in just in case. I bought 2 cases of Castrol Edge Titanium (it was BOGO, so around $4.75/quart) so the trip wasn't a total loss :whistle:.

Tburnham: Thanks for the suggestion and letting me know what to do if it discharges to the point that I can't start it when I'm not around a charger. I disabled the SKS.

Dennis: I guess I was luckier than you (this time).

Time to buy a new battery charger. Any recommendations for under $100?

Barry

12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Lets hope that is the end of the problems for you. As I said in my first post the difficulty with disconnecting the 12 volt is that it removes the trouble codes.

I'm sorry I cannot recommend a charger as I am the wrong side of the pond to be able to do this, but keep it below 4amps.

Have you checked the coolant flow, I know you had the pump replaced but there have been quite a few reports on PC of the new pumps failing at low millage and it costs nothing to look and eliminate the possibility.

John (Britprius).

13. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John. I'm hoping that the new 12v battery will take care of it. I wasn't aware that the replacement pumps failing at low mileage. I assume that I should let the car cool down in order to remove the cap, and then need to have the car running to check the coolant flow.

Barry

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Everyone's partial to what they've got, as long it's working well. I like my CTEK 3300: good range, intelligent charger, robust, portable, comes with nice case. A little pricey though: regular price in the '70's, but goes on sale around 60 sometimes.

15. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I posted battery tender/maintainer suggestions | PriusChat but didn't get much in the way of replies...
    Yes, turning off SKS will reduce parasitic drain.

I'm not convinced the bolded part is good advice. I think that only puts a drain on the 12 volt and doesn't use the traction battery to charge the 12 volt at all. AFAIK, you need to be in READY mode for that. That's why when one goes thru Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery | PriusChat, you don't see the voltage jump to a high amount (13.x to 14.x volts) until you go to READY.

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Barry the car does not need to cool down but yes the car needs to be in ready mode you should see movement in the coolant and also hear the pump running down behind the drivers side (for you in thee US) headlamp.

The new pump was re designed and fitted as standard after 2007 because of bearing failure, but now there is a recall up to 2009 because the insulation on the new pumps was being damaged in production causing them to fail.

I have a 2008 that was not part of the first recall but has now been recalled and I had a new pump fitted a few weeks ago.

I do not know if Toyota will change your pump a second time but there have been quite a number of the new pumps failing and reported on PC.

John (Britprius).

17. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks John. I'll check it in the morning when there's enough light to see.

Barry

18. A Prime Factor

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Success! The spaceship was able to muster up just enough power to open a window, but it turned out I didn't need it. I borrowed my neighbor's charger and we were able to get at the positive terminal without removing the red cover and it charged up pretty quickly. I asked him the charger speed and he wasn't sure but it was "under 5." I have a scangauge so I watched the voltage go up and soon I was able to start it up. I drove it around quite a while and managed to avoid turning it off until I got home. I have now turned off the SKS (and left it unlocked). I checked the gauge again a few hours later (car still off) and it is at 12.0. It was at 7.2 this morning before the charging.

Tomorrow is my appointment to get a new battery. Maybe I should look into getting my own charger.

Barry, I hope your car works great with the new battery. That was a long time for your battery to last. Sorry if I kind of hijacked the thread, but there was a huge overlap in the advice. For the record, I hadn't noticed any weird symptoms before it not starting a few days ago. I track my gas mileage carefully and it has been the same. As my 5-year anniversary is coming up soon, I had been contemplating replacing the battery anyway. Silly me, I had a scangauge and didn't realize I could easily check the voltage.

Now I am much wiser and many thanks to PriusChat and this thread and the other useful information on this excellent forum!

19. bfguilford

bfguilford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No sweat! That's what this forum is all about. Glad you had success, and good luck with the new battery.

Barry

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is from third gen manual, but likely similar:

(Likely they're being conservative. And even when you hook up to to say a 6 amp charger, the indicated charging rate can be 2~3 amp.)

Yes, very handy to have. See my pick, up the page.

Another possible acquisition, if you've got deep pockets, is a jump-start pack. Especially handy for avoiding resorting to jumpstarting others when you have a hybrid, since the hybrid 12 volt batteries tend to be tiny.

Jump-N-Carry JNC660.jpg