1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

battery tender/maintainer suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cwerdna, Sep 13, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry for a new thread, but surprisingly, my post at Aux battery caharging | Page 2 | PriusChat was getting no response :confused: , maybe due to the thread title, so I'll repost my query here.

My 06 Prius doesn't get driven much (in terms of time per trip) so I'm looking to get a batter maintainer for my Optima Yellow Top. At least now I have a source of constant AC and park inside a garage, unlike when I lived in WA. (I've been disabling SKS to reduce the parasitic drain.)

I'm looking for something relatively cheap and preferably available on Amazon.

I'm hearing about these from (the other thread) thread, so far:
    Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com
    CTEK MXS 4003 (not sure I can buy this in the US, anymore (?))
    CTEK 3300
    Optimate 3+ and 4

I stumbled across OPTIMA® Chargers Digital 1200 12V Performance Battery Charger and Maintainer :: OPTIMA® Batteries but it's WAY more than I want to spend.

Anything else I should consider? I've seen numerous threads like Battery Minder Tender Maintainer charge/discharge behavior | PriusChat, Anyone Using A Battery Tender On A Prius? | PriusChat and Trickle Chargers and "Battery Mainainers" not the same thing | PriusChat.

Some of the warnings at Batteryminders Specials | BatteryMinders.com worry me a little. I'd be charging inside an enclosed 2 car garage and plan to do it via the jumping terminals under the hood. There is a natural gas water heater in the garage in the front and the Prius will be parked so that the 12 volt in the hatch area is furthest away from the water heater.

I'd really like to order it today or tomorrow.

2. MandiRocker

MandiRocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll show Josh2008 your thread shortly. We run a tender for my 05 & I have a yellow top optima but I honestly can't give ya a good opinion, thus my Mr. can help :)

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Anyone? I need to get my order in tonight...

So far, I think I'm leaning towards an Optimate 4.

4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd recommend the following $20 Schumacher Maintainer sold by Wal-Mart. It is a true microprocessor controlled maintainer, so drying out, etc. should not be a concern. I have one that I use on our 2007 when we are out of town (in our 2011) for extended periods. The maintainer comes with a cord that you can easily install directly to the 12v battery in the trunk, and quickly connect to the maintainer.

5. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a two amp electronic one and it does a great job. Charges until charged then goes to green until 12v drops to a point I am not sure of, then takes it back up. Motomaster Eliminator part#011-1506-6 Includes 3 Quick connect charging leads. H

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ahh. Thanks, unfortunately, I'm not in Canada and I'd never head of that brand from now. Unfortunately, from Motomaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it seems unlikely I could find one at a US retailer.

I've seen Canadian Tire stores when up in BC but never set foot inside one.

edit: Thanks guys. I ended up ordering an Optimate 4. It seemed to have a lot more neat features than the 3+.

7. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can order! I purchase stuff in the States all the time so you could help our economy a little. :) Mind you our dollar is a bit high at the moment. I like that one that Harley recommends for its bikes . I will find the brand and post it. H