1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Nav "time to arrival" always wrong

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by striker308, Aug 17, 2013.

1. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Has anyone else had a problem with the "time to arrival" being incorrect on their Nav system in the Gen III?

In my Gen II I could set speed calculations for city and highway and the "time to arrival" was always within a few min of dead on.
    In the Gen III there is no setting for speed and I'm in some cases more than an hour off in the estimated time of arrival.

I do a normal weekly trip that takes 3 hours and ~ 35 min to drive but the nav varies from 4 hours to 4 hours 15 min.

since I drive this rout twice a week I know the correct time now but going new places I cant depend on it now when planning trips.

2. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Nav system can't account for traffic, lights or stop signs. Without MPH inputs, it bases it's time
    on known speed limits. I think it uses Google Maps data for that info. It's not a dynamic value, so it only
    uses the data that was input when the software was released. If a speed limit has changes on any of the roads
    you travel, it will not reflect in your GPS until the software version is updated :eek:

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unless Toyota dropped the speed settings on the new Entune models, my 2010 has three different speed settings for residential streets, rural highways and interstates. My ETA is fairly accurate, especially once I get on the highway and maintain a steady speed.

4. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Display Audio with Navigation and Entune - takes the MPH and Traffic into the ETA calculation. What it cannot predict is how much time you stop in the stop sign or how fast over the speed limit one is driving. It does not have the feature for U to enter different speed to do route ETA computation.

The Premium Navi with HDD should still have the feature for you to enter.

The speed limits of the road is in the navigation database, one will have to pay for an update

5. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On the 2012 v Five, the ETA function is reasonably accurate -- and appears to compensate for actual speed enroute, higher or lower than the "canned" segment speed.

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My GenIII ETA tends initially to overstate trip times. On free flowing highway (non-interstate) without stops, I can shave off a significant amount of time. But with rest stops (more are needed when family is along), that time cushion gets used. Add congestion or traffic light delays, and the ETA understates trip time.

My old copy of MS Streets & Trips is the opposite, its default 'average' speed understates trip time even on free flowing highways. It was obviously tuned for folks who don't obey speed limits.

7. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Entune Display Audio/Nav does have the option to tweak the default speeds.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omnav/OM47675U/pdf/03-4.pdf

Page 112. right side..

ftl likes this.
  8. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Same settings as the 2010. Once again, if you take the time to read the manual and tailor the settings to match your driving style, the better your results and satisfaction.

9. Worldtraveler

Worldtraveler New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three

That's strange. I thought they were using the Navtec database. Navtec does account for average driving time over each segment of road, and even accounts for current traffic if the installed Navigation system integrates the data (Prius apparently doesn't). I have Navtec on another car, and the driving times are typically within a minute or two over an hour's drive, and 10-20 minutes for a day's drive. Maybe they're only using some features of the database.

I have found really strange predictions with my 2013 Prius 3. It predicted a 4h 32m driving time from Pheonix to Bell Garden CA, a distance of about 370 miles. I don't think it could be done that fast on a good day. Google maps says 5h 30m. On the other hand, I drove from home in the Phoenix area to Las Vegas last week. It predicted 4h 20m, Google maps says 4h 4m, and actual driving time was 4h 17m. Go figure.

mtbiker53 likes this.
  10. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    that manual is for Premium Navi system not the Display Audio/Nav system.
    is the date on the doc 11/09/08? Display Audio/Nav system is introduced in 2011 iirc.

11. sURFNmADNESS

sURFNmADNESS Prii Family

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    International date/time goes year/month/date

Got my wife's 2010 map options confused with my 2012 v. 2010 base map system has speed tweak option like HDD does.

12. Zephyr7

Zephyr7 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanx silly me..

13. Ishmael427

Ishmael427 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have had a similar problem with my nav and spoken with 3 or 4 different service techs and two service managers with no resolution over the last year. Mine appears to be one hour off. Sitting at the dealership today, 17 miles from home the travel time to destination was 30 minutes. When I selected the arrival time it was 1 hour and 30 minutes. It's like the system is stuck in a different time zone or doesn't adjust for change from daylight to standard time changes. No way to set time zone in the system, so I assume it is downloaded from GPS satellite.

14. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mine is still doing it, I have just learned to live with it. these cars have a mind of thier own at times.

15. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
  16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Computers do not do what you want them to do but what you tell them to do. Take the time to understand the user defined settings for speeds, route preferences, etc. The Nav will give you three route choices to choose from.

17. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Folks, we need to talk.

This thread is in the Prius v (horribly named, but now we can deal with it) section.

A great many of you are giving advice for a Gen 3, which does not work in the Prius v.

If you cannot resist giving advice for other cars, PLEASE be clear what car you are giving advice for.

I would love to set my 'time to arrive' as I did with my Gen 2, so far NO advice in this thread helps set the time to arrive in a Prius v. (it is possible the 'right answer' will be different for the 2, 3, and 5 models)

striker308 likes this.
  18. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Sorry Jimbo, I thought with my avatar I did not have to spell out the Gen III.

I was told in another v thread that the v has the speed settings, route preferences, etc. similar to the Gen III. Is this not correct?

I cannot set the time of arrival directly but can indirectly with the other settings.

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do not know, I only know that no one has reported a method for setting them on the v that works.

20. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In my Prius v (wagon) with Adv. Tech. Pkg, I can and have set Driving Speeds as per page 111 of Navigation Manual;
    Setup (hard key to the right of the Navi display)
    Navigation (soft key)
    Detailed Navi. Settings (soft key)
    Driving Speeds (soft key)
    Three seperate speed guages to set average driving speeds for Residential, Main Streets, and Freeways appear
    (soft keys for each guage move average driving speeds up or down)
    Remember to touch SAVE soft key or changes don't take.

This menu option may very well only be available on Premium HDD Navaigation which is part of the Adv. Tech. Pkg.