Welcome to PriusChat

We'd love to have you join our community and participate in the conversation! Sign up for FREE today.

Prius c Maintenance Schedule

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by usbseawolf2000, Mar 6, 2012.

Social Buttons

1. bdub

bdub New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

See this thread. It's not a risk running the oil to 10k miles. http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-c...06378-blackstone-labs-1k-mile-oil-report.html
  2. wongnog

wongnog Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer claims that while the oil may last 12 months, the filter isn't designed to. Thoughts?
  3. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    yes.. the filter doesn't last as long.
  4. kkim

kkim Active Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    III

why is that? I would think a filter should have no problem lasting a year.
  5. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    For the filter I was going to run the M1/K&N which is the same synthetic media that should last no problem to 10k.
  6. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are there normal dipsticks on the Prius C (traditional dipsticks so you can check oil and trans fluid yourself)? Dipsticks such as Oil, Trans, and etc?

I've presently got an Olds Eighty Eight and I never take it to the dealer since I can do all the work myself (or I know someone). So when it comes to maintaining fluid levels, its vital. My Olds is a 1995, it runs beautifully, has minimal issues, glides over the road, but it does burn a little oil so I've got to keep on that. Other than that my Olds Eighty Eight has been maintained diligently, when something needs done its addressed (137,000 Miles). I just top off the oil as needed.

I plan on getting a Prius C in the future and I don't want to be sandbagged after I buy one and find out I've got to rely on the dealer after it passes its 10-15 years of life (for fluids nonetheless). I plan to buy a Prius C for ultimate longevity, just like my Olds Eighty Eight.
    Fahfoofnik likes this.
  7. Stevie

Stevie Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A

that's great, who writes comedy like this ? keep in mind a filter is more efficient the older it gets, right up until the point when it is blocked, at which point a bypass valve will open and still allow oil through so your engine dos not sieze, yes it is unfiltered oil but it is better than no oil,
    and just another point In Australia service intervals are 10,000klm or 6 months whichever occurs first
  8. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

You can do both the oil and tranny (not sure about dipstick on the tranny). Both have drain plugs and you will have to use a filler pump to get the fluid into the tranny. But if you do your own work, you probably have one.
  9. Ubu the Tech Guru

Ubu the Tech Guru Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    WOW, this is awesome! Fewer maintenance dollars to spend as well as all the gas money savings. I am loving my purchase more and more every day.

So 0W-20? I am coming up on my first 1,000 miles and wanted to do an oil change to remove any break-in metal shavings and obviously want to replace it with the most recommended oil. It's a leased car, does that matter? Will they find out I did my own oil change and void warrenty? My dad leased his as well and said he lets the dealership handle the oil changes BUT i've been reading a few recommendations and 1 was to change oil out at 1,000
  10. Larry Greenwald

Larry Greenwald Junior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

Yes, it's 0W-20 (synthetic oil). The normal service interval is 5K miles, but they don't change the oil until the 10K interval. The changes are listed in the service manual doc that you came with all the other documentation you received.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2010 Prius
    2 additional things I can think of:

1. Brake inspection interval.
    2. Transaxle fluid change. (likely Toyo saying "sealed", "lifetime", yada yada, but just saying...)
  12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

That doesn't make sense... why would they say the interval is 10k if they wanted you to really do it every 5k?
  13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Tire rotation is every 5k. Silly.
    ztanos likes this.
  14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius c