1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Shorted MG? Codes pulled. May need transaxle.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Lam, Apr 1, 2013.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was thinking the same thing Ed, but what if there was a really minor fault in the insulation combined some water or metal contaminants in the fluid. It's conceivable that it might be minor enough that just clean fluid could tip the balance between tripping out on ground fault or not.

2. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I reviewed the dealer-provided service records. The fluid was changed a few months ago after they found the fault as they suspected moisture in the fluid. So regardless of the bad fluid causing a short circuit or not, it was replaced and the fault is still there.

I went ahead and bought a transmission from ebay for $250+$150 shipping. Bought a haynes manual and am reading up all the threads and DIY guides I can. If anyone has any advice or links to excellent transaxle replacement sites/threads, it would be greatly appreciated :)

As for going after the private seller, I could, but for 10 hours of my time and ~$500, its just not worth it. Whenever I purchase a used car I go in knowingly that there are risks... and this is one of them. Poor research on my part and a lesson learned, fortunately, I have the tools and experience to take on a task like this and it would not be a significant impact.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good luck Lam. Let us know how it goes. (y)

BTW. I assume you've already found this in the "sticky's": Transaxle Failure | Page 4 | PriusChat

4. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've seen it, its good but i'm going to try to document it and write-up a full DIY since it looks like it has not been done yet. Hold me to it and make me look like an @$$ if I don't do it, otherwise it won't get done lol.

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very good. With a new used trans and some fresh Inverter coolant it'll run for another 100K.

If your into documenting some stuff do an autopsy and see how clogged the little oil screen is and see if the oil line was seated properly. And pull the MG's out and find the blown out winding.

Don't forget to pull the orange safety plug out of the Hybrid battery before you start and when you put it back in pull the lever down and lock it or the car won't start. Seems to get just about everyone that lever/lock deal.

6. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if i were to pull identify the short.. would i be able to replace the MG?

7. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lookin' good. You know what your doing. Nice pictures really enjoy it thanks.

9. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    rogertbp, 2009Prius, Hasan and 2 others like this.
  10. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Great work! As for the ABS codes, you can short pins 4 and 13 of the DLC3 connector to get the diagnostic blink codes when the car is made Ready. Search for "blink codes". For example:

ABS, VSC Lights... Weird!! | PriusChat

12. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I saw this post and which guided me in pulling my engine out yesterday. had it on the floor last night. swapped goodies and transaxle this morning and have reinstalled it today. got ready to start the car and it gave me a "the transmission lock is abnormal, please park your car on flat surface and apply parking brake." that is the problem code. it would not start or do anything else. not sure how to reset "the Problem" or not

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The 12 volt battery is almost dead. Thats one of the nags it throws. Check that 12.8 is at jump terminals and if 12 there just really low put it on a charger.

Also make sure the big orange Hybrid battery safety interlock is in properly that gets everyone. The latch swivels up and locks.

14. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lam, GREAT posts. thanks for all the pictures. I wish that I had the ability to photograph and post like you. Edthefox5. thanks for the confirmation. I have the charger on it and will try it in the morning and if it is still lagging I will purchase a new battery. when I shut the car off and began disconnecting the inverter and stuff, just for grins I checked the battery, guess what 11.56 volts and I didn't give it much thought until this afternoon. I put the charger on it and brought it back to 12.55 but still not enough. will get a new one tomorrow if it does not amp up. thanks much. I don't know much about these hybrid cars. I vowed long ago that if the transmission was sideways I would not work on it. but my sister with 188k miles lost a head gasket and I said that I would help her. I normally try to stick to working on Cummins. these things just don't have room to work on them.

15. rogertbp

rogertbp New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lam, do you still have the old transaxle? if so would you be willing to part with 2 of the sensors on it???? I did an engine swap this monday. I forgot to plug the little snap together ground together and whether that was the cause or not I have 2 bad sensors. Toyota charged $700 to tell me that. what a rip off. would you be willing to part with 2 of the sensors?

16. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    PM'd you back

17. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: So I noticed while going on a 50 mile road trip that the car makes a speed-related like whining sound. Sort of gear meshy. It is very slight and you have to really be listening to hear it. I'm wondering if i got a bum transmission. Checked the wheels and wheel bearings... tight as they can be. Any ideas as to what it is?

18. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pull the trans fluid and look carefully for pieces of metal. Reports of bearing failure.

see lusciousgarage.com and read Carolyn's blogs

Many reports of ominous hum from right front too which is trans winding failure.

19. Lam

Lam Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Which bearing? is it replaceable? or should i start calling in the warranty for this transmission?

20. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's some youtubes on it and Carolyn discusses that exact bearing also. But can only be confirmed by dumping the fluid or autopsy on the trans.

Which I would do anyway since its a used trans. I know it has new fluid in it that you just installed but I would change it anyway both for this diagnosis and maintenance. Its only $40.
    Pieces of metal in the fluid is 100% certain of bearing failure. No metal look elsewhere.