1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Steering Wheel Interface install?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Darius510, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm thinking about a new pioneer head unit, but I really dont want to lose the steering wheel controls. I know the PAC-SWI interface is available, but everything from the instructions posted on the PAC website to the few installs posted here leave me a little baffled.

I'm comfortable enough with doing the install and programming - I've installed many head units and keyless entry units on my own, but I tend to do it the quick and dirty way by cutting and twisting into the wires. Never had a problem with other cars, but this is a lease, so it needs to be clean, reversible and I dont want to take any chances.

The PAC instructions were clearly not written with comprehension in mind, and its really not obvious at all which wires need to be tapped into. Can anyone explain really, really clearly what needs to be done? Pictures of the process even better. :)

Also, whats the cleanest and most foolproof way to tap into the wires, preferably without any soldering? Or better yet, is there a harness I can buy for the SWI?

I went to best buy and asked them how much it would cost to get a pro to tap into those few wires, told them I'd take it apart, program it, everything else myself. Probably 5-10 minutes of labor at most, and they told me $100. Thats an outrage.

If anyone in Long Island, NY wants to help me out on this (AKA youve done it before and wont mess it up), I'll def pay $40 for the time, and Ill bring the car to you.

2. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You really need to find the correct instructions form PAC. They are clear on the wires to tap etc.

You will get a wiring kit for the head unit - like a Scosche kit for Toyota.

There are two connectors on the radio - one wiring harness has the bulk of the signals (power, ground, speakers) - this is what the Scosche plugs into. The other harness has the wheel signals (I think 2 wires).

You will need to splice onto these (Radio Shack sells wire splicers). The PAC wires into these - but then gets its power from the other connector (which is easy since you're going to have the wiring kit).

Once your in there - you may consider also getting the PAC WRI for wireless remotes - and buying a Pioneer remote - it gives more functionality.

[​IMG]

Sorry I can't be more clear - hope this helps a bit...

Attached Files:

3. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found one online from the pac-audio.com by choosing the SWI-PS and the prius from the drop down menu. I'd link it, but I dont have posts to allow me to do so yet.

If I'm understanding it correctly, only the black and the white wires on the SWI are being used. The 20-pin plug pictured I assume is the "other harness" with the wheel signals?

First, I have to splice the SWI black ground wire onto the wire connecting to pin 6. Then, I have to splice the SWI white wire onto the wire coming from pin 7. Then I have to splice a resistor into the wire connecting to pin 8, and splice the other end into the SWI white wire.

Then it says:

"Black wire: Connect the SWI-PS 's black wire to chassis ground. This is usually a black wire on the aftermarket wire kit.
    Red wire: Connect the SWI-PS 's red wire to a switched +12volt wire. This is usually a red wire on the aftermarket wire kit."

Is this black wire the same as the one that was spliced to pin 6? Isnt it already grounded then? Why is it telling you to connect something already connected?

And I'm assuming then the red wire can just be spliced into the red wire on the harness for the head unit?

Can you show me a link of what you mean? Ive never used anything but twisting and electrical tape.

Can you explain that a little further? What other connector, and what wiring kit?

I'd probably understand it a little better if I actually had it on hand, but I dont want to go out and spend the money for it unless Im confident I can do it 100% right the first time without damaging anything.

Thanks for the help!

4. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is the splice kit:
    Quick Splice Connector with Male Disconnector (3-Pack) - RadioShack.com

They also sell resistors - from memory, I just found a resistor that was close (doesn't have to be exact).

There are two connectors on the Prius with wires - one has the speaker etc (power) - the other only needs to be used for the steering control (guess that's the black and white wires). Sorry - but this is all from memory - and that's really all I remember...

5. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hmm...so the kit doesnt even come with the proper resistor?

And how would you remove the quick splice connector? I just you could just cut off the new wire you attached, and the old wire should work just fine with the quick connect still attached?

6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Mine did not have the resistor.

You need the quick splices because the wires are really too short to cut, twist and tape. It makes for a very easy install too... There would be no reason to ever remove one - if unused, wrap it in electrical tape (???).

Be sure to by the small gauge wire ones (I think 22 AWG).

It's not half as bad as it may seem.

I do *highly* recommend putting in the PAC WRI also - the steering buttons as is have limited functionality (eg. you can set them to skip up - but they skip to the next artist - not track - or vice versa).

7. rrg

rrg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about this type of splice connector? Posi-Tap
    posi-lock.com/posiplug.html
    I have not used it yet, but the audio forums seem to really like it.

Reuseable or permanent, wire integrity is maintained, vibration proof sounds like it could work.

8. Darius510

Darius510 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That looks absolutely perfect for my needs. Thanks!

9. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

#9 3prongpaul, Dec 22, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2014