1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

You should change your Transaxle Fluid early

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PPENDOR, Oct 3, 2014.

1. PPENDOR

PPENDOR New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did a transaxle fluid change on my 06 Prius last week. ODD# 110k.\

I was thinking the 'lifetime' magic Toyota fluid quality will ensure my safety as long as I follow the maintenance manual.

I was keeping my confidence until last week. To do the parts inspection while draining, I saw the 'mud' like black gooey stuff was adsorbed on the permanent magnet at the end of plug nut. It was a very very very thick deposition. It costs me 2 pieces of paper towel to clean. Color of the used fluid was bad, I don't know how to describe, like rusted steel.

I'm not a crazy driver. I never push my Prius to its limit. I never even tried to do so. Always gently drive, and that's why I thought I could trust and follow the manual.

I'm living in south. Humid in summer, dry in Fall, and wet in winter and Spring.
    I didn't prepare camera for this little project, but I definitely will change it again in next 12 month to make sure my Prius is okay.

after this project, there was a little bit a MPG improvement been found(from 46 to 47?). Maybe better accelerating power at low speed. (feeling couldn't be accurate)

anyway, honestly encourage you change it early if you planed on it. So many people in this forum doing so. I believe the reason is they are doing this project by themselves, so that they really saw how the fluid condition was.

2. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I changed the transaxle fluid on my 2012 Prius"v" at 13,000 miles.

The fluid was already dark.

To my dismay, unlike the photos of the drain plug on the Gen II, the little ceramic magnet is no longer supplied.

So, I made a plug with a rare earth neodymium magnet that has a 15 pound pull.

I'm happy that I did it early, now.

My transaxle fluid change and NEW custom drain and fill plugs... | PriusChat

3. Fishcrab

Fishcrab Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I changed my transaxle fluid when I bought it used at about 145k, previous owner had not touched it.
    The fluid was thick and dark as you described . After I changed it , I put in the World Standard ATF from Toyota. I have noticed improvements in gas mileige and just seems to drive better. I have read some old threads on here, that some of the gen 2 cars have logged on over 200 k without changing ATF fluid.
    I'm a believer in changing.
    I didn't have a choice, bought it with high mileage .
    Good luck, really wish you the best.

4. Mr Mik

Mr Mik Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the ATF WS fluid removed from my 2008 Prius I-Tech at 120000km, compared to the leftover fresh fluid.
    DSC_0001-640x640.JPG
    DSC_0002-640x640.JPG
    DSC_0005-640x640.JPG
    DSC_0004-640x640cr.JPG

Fishcrab likes this.
  5. hesty24

hesty24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Thanks for the heads up! I have 130 K on my 07 and just got around to changing the ATF and all coolants. I did my own plug change, next are the front brakes, but now you got me thinking about the Transaxle fluid. If you say its nasty at 110K, man I think mine is going to be ugly, because I drive my Prius like I stole it (highway speeds), but always grandpa it in town. If mine is really nasty, I am going to do a change again in a year to see if the new fluid has loosened up the old gunk and hopefully that will be it for awhile.

6. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like you already replaced the transaxle fluid.