1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

06 Failure Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jhg, Dec 1, 2016.

1. jhg

jhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    '06 Prius with about 114K miles, Hybrid battery replace a year ago with Dorman brand.

The 12v battery died a few days ago. First the Master warning and Brake warning lights came on. When I tried power cycling, a few indicators came on dimly and faded out, so I replaced the 12v battery and everything was working OK.

Since then I have driven about 20 miles, and today the Master warning triangle and brake warning lights came on, with no other error indicators. The brakes seemed to be working fine so I drove home (a couple of miles) and after powering off, when powered on again I now get the following error indicators:
    • Master warning
    • Slip
    • Brake (yellow)
    • ABS
    • Check Engine
    On the top line of the multi-information display is a single dark red icon, a car outline with an exclamation point. The car will not shift into Drive or Reverse (only Park and Neutral)

I went into maintenance mode to get the logged LAN codes, which are:

01-DB 190-26-F
    01-D5 190-35-D
    01-DB 110-55-5

none of which seem to apply to the problem.

Is there anything else I can do to diagnose the problem before having it towed to a repair shop?

#1 jhg, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. jhg

jhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks! I called the local dealer and they checked my VIN and said it looks like it's covered. I hope they don't take this opportunity to "find" other things wrong :)

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get the Diagnostic Trouble Codes read that have been logged by the car's Electronic Control Units. You can have this done (usually for free) by places such as AutoZone, or you can do it yourself with Mini VCI or VxDiag interface and Techstream software.

Once you have the codes, it will be much easier to offer assistance.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Check the voltage on the 12v battery. I doubt a bad 12v will throw those codes. Dim lights (or no lights), the door won't unlock, the computers won't boot are typical symptoms of a dead or dying battery.

Is your Dorman still under warranty? If so follow their warranty claim procedure.

6. jhg

jhg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The diagnostic code is P0AA6 or "Hybrid Battery Voltage System Isolation Fault", which has a 30-page diagnostic flow chart. Research on this forum indicates it's a ground fault somewhere in the system.

At this point I don't need the car and am seriously considering getting rid of it in its current condition, as repairs could cost significantly more than the current retail value, which according to KBB is around $3500 in working condition.

Anyone have suggestions on how to proceed?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I would try to get the battery replaced by Dorman under warranty as that is the most likely culprit of a failing prius.

High voltage faults occur if the battery if there's a leak

8. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you disconnect the 12 volt battery you can restart the car once. That's much better than a car that will not start at all. The process can be repeated. The three main sources of the leak are the HV battery, the air conditioner compressor, and the transmission.

Here's a simple test to isolate the source. The video covers a Gen I. To get your Gen II in to ingnition on but not ready press the power button twice without touching the brake.

Brad