1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1 million Prius' to be recalled. Fire hazard.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by schja01, Sep 5, 2018.

1. stevepea

stevepea Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    US PRIMES ARE NOT INVOLVED IN THIS RECALL.
    (not clear about Canada)
    The link to the PDF file from Toyota: https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/staticcontent/en/techinfo/html/prelogin/docs/cp/j1ttofaq.pdf
    states this:

Why are Prius Prime vehicles not involved in this Safety Recall in the U.S ?
    The routing of the engine wire harness in Prius Prime vehicles distributed to the U.S. is different from Prius Prime vehicles in certain other markets. Therefore, Prius Prime vehicles distributed to the U.S. are not affected by the condition.

So US Prime owners can relax about this :)
    Sorry I haven't been around much lately, some IRL stuff preventing me from getting online as much currently, but hopefully as things get back to normal I'll be more active again.

ArcPrime likes this.
  2. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Indeed. In the liftback Prius thread about this recall, I linked to (and @360texas kindly posted) Toyota’s announcement about the same recall in Japan, which includes an illustration of the area of the possible failure in the part of the engine wire harness that goes to connector C33 on the top of the inverter with converter assembly.

The same connector exists on the Prius Prime and Prius PHV, but the wire harness design is different for the left-hand drive Prius Prime. On these extracts from the Location & Routing sections of the Electrical Wiring Diagrams, in which the front of the vehicle is at the bottom, I’ve highlighted connectors C32 and C33:

EngineWireHarnessVariations.png

On the Prius Prime, notice how the wire bundles for connectors C32 and C33 branch from front to rear, rather than branching from rear to front as on the right-hand drive Prius PHV and all models of the Prius.

4. huskers

huskers Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Is this going to be on the test?

fneil likes this.
  5. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It's not just that, but in the diagram which you provided, only the LHD Prime lacks the L-shaped housing/shroud which appears in the other three diagrams.

This photo was posted elsewhere:

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2018/09/153029_IMG_0307.jpg

I am still confused, but I just checked my VIN against the Toyota recall campaign database (updated thru 9/4) and it came back with no current recalls.

ArcPrime likes this.
  6. EyePrime

EyePrime Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
  7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The announcement was just two days ago. Toyota's online systems may not be up to date for it yet.

8. DustyPhoenix

DustyPhoenix New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would the wiring issue cause something like this? 516625720.jpeg

Moto G (5) Plus ?