1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

100,000 Mile Club

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by efusco, Mar 6, 2007.

1. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check out Amazon.com for rear hatch struts. MUCH cheaper than the dealers. Easy to install yourself too.

2. ThinkingPrius

ThinkingPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just curious about the people who take their car to the dealer every 5k miles.

is that for an oil change? or are you having them inspect the car as well? how much does that cost on average?

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota does it for free the first 25k miles. And then most people probably go back at 30 to have oil changed. After that it is probably every 10.

4. ThinkingPrius

ThinkingPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    oh well i bought ours with 49k miles so i missed the boat on that

5. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I suppose, but you also missed the big depreciation hit boat that those of us that bought new had to take. :)

6. bugly64

bugly64 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That was the boat I missed and I am sure glad I did. I am inching up on 100k at 89450.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I reached 100,070 miles tonight in my MY 2009 Prius five, purchased March 28 2009. I was traveling 30,000 miles a year (still am) and wished to do so with as little impact as possible.
    2010 Prius School Project! | PriusChat

I have used up two sets of tires, and am on my third. I have done Toyota's routine maintenance as I should with the addition of a Transaxle fluid change at 60,000 miles. I have replaced 3 tail lights.

Unlike many, my Prius is a cargo vehicle (and a good one for me)
    [​IMG]

Sadly, people keep running into my car, all but once while parked, so I am keeping a body shop busier than I want, but it is hard to blame that on the car. If I were buying today I would get a Prius v, but the Gen 2 has been a great car and I hope for another couple of decades from it.

markabele likes this.
  8. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

We made it to 92K and had about half or more of Galaxy's 100K list done. Brake fluid and coolant changed. Our first alignment since we bought tires at 60k, which we asked for because our left front tire was FLAT and hubby failed to notice that. He noticed the sudden drop off on MPG -- normally 51 and suddenly 44. I confess I drove over a bolder in the Tuolumne Camground parking lot, and it wasn't a small one. It was as far out of alignment as you can get, and we were assured that the tech had remedied it. Sadly, I read somewhere on here that that isn't possible? You can't realign a prius? Say what? We use Mobile 1 synthetic, so we do not change our oil ever 3 or even every 5 K miles. Rather, we do that at around 10 or 11. Our breaks were reported to be 3 for front and 4 for rear, so I guess changes will be in the near future? Oh, and we had the spark plugs changed out, cabin filters replaced, and that's about it. This was a huge expense -- came to about 750 or more, but that's the first service where we have spent more than about 80 dollars, since purchase. So for 4.5 years of driving, if we average the services out, its about 350 to 400 Dollars a year, not including the tires.

Other than all of that, things seem terrific. Knocking on wood. I want to know how to buy new batteries for the keys and also a new rear bumper. I don't understand why my sidebar is a mere ? mark, when I've been a member here for eons. I had to change my password today, as I had no idea what my password was. Not only that, but the change can't take effect, because the change software doesn't recognize the temporary password.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius front wheel alignment is like most cars. Toe-in and camber are adjustable.

The Prius rear wheels cannot be aligned according to Toyota repair philosophy. If the rear wheel alignment is off, the concept is that you must replace the rear beam axle. Since that is an expensive repair, an alternative is to have a specialty alignment shop install shims between the stub axles and their mounting points on the beam axle.

You can buy fob batteries at any drugstore, CR2032 is the size required. If you need a rear bumper you should consult your local body shop - or if you plan to DIY then you can look at the online parts catalog at any of the Toyota dealers that sell parts over the web, for example toyotaworld.com

jendbbay likes this.
  10. jendbbay

jendbbay Member

wow, thanks on both answers. Our alignment issue was front and I am hopeful it is fixed. I hit the bolder so hard that it knocked the air out of the tire, but left the tire without any damage other than that. I'll go look for the batteries. Oh and I might check on doing my own bumper replacement. Again, thanks!

11. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, here I am with my 113000 mile prius with lpg. :)

Repairs done:

- MFD replaced, warranty
    - Thermostat replaced
    - One alignment done, it was slightly off
    - Gear change lever replaced, warranty.
    - Clockspring replaced recently.
    - 12V battery replaced twice.

Recall items done:
    - The one about the steering wheel link
    - Hybrid system coolant pump

Servicing:
    - Oil and filter every ~10k miles. Use 5w40. It uses no oil between oil changes.
    - Air filter when needed.
    - Changed spark plugs once.
    - Cleaned the MAF sensor and the throttle body twice.
    - Changed coolant(s) once
    - Changed brake fluid once
    - Changed transaxle oil once

I once had a problem with an oil filter that leaked and left not more than 1/2 a quart in the engine. Thankfully it didn't cause any damage.

I'm on the 3rd set of tires.

Lately, I slowed my driving down and have been getting 58 mpg on gasoline or 47 mpg on lpg.

Very happy overall. :)
    Thanks to everyone for their good advice.

12. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nice report. Regarding the "gallon" unit of measure, does your country use the UK Imperial gallon (which is 20% larger than the US gallon)?

13. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are using liters but, since people in this forum are from the US, I converted to US gallons.

Actual numbers that I see are 4 l/100km for gasoline and 5 l/100km for lpg.

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    You really had 2 sets of tires wear out already?

15. alexeft

alexeft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    According to the local habits, I actually kept them for too long too...imagine that.
    First one went to 80000km or 50000 miles. The tires that were at the front (after each rotation) were wearing at the outer edges.
    Second one went to 65000km or 40000 miles. Didn't like them from the beginning, as they didn't have a good grip, plus they were wearing fast, and they were worn at the outer edges as well, so, off they went.

On the third set that I'm currently running, I had an alignment done, which showed a ~3 degree toe in. It was corrected to ~1 degree of toe in. They have a good grip and don't seem to wear as fast. If they make it to 75000 miles, I will be happy.

16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am at about 105,000 miles now. Bought the car new.

Replaced one tail light
    Replaced one headlight
    Radio volume button does not work that well
    Changed transaxle fluid
    On my third set of tires.
    All other maintenance normal. Oil, filter, air filter, cabin filter.
    Thinking about changing coolants and spark plugs.:)

17. studiopeg

studiopeg Junior Member

109,000. 2007 Prius.

Almost done with 2nd set of tires.
    Replaced front struts.
    Replaced fuel pump.

Nothing more except for all scheduled service intervals. Brakes are still good!

She's a little banged up on the outside.... a tree backed into me, a curb jumped out at me... I wish I could justify getting a Prius C but this thing just keeps going and going and going...........

18. jons623

jons623 Junior Member

2007 now has 109,900 miles. Purchased new December 2006.

Oil (Mobil-1) and filter changed when maintenance light goes steady. Had the engine coolant and serpentine belt replaced.

Third set of tires - original Goodyear tires were slick in the wet and suffered two punctures in the first 26k. replaced with Michelin Hydroedge which had excellent traction but rode hard and were noisy, replaced with Michelin X Radials which are much smother, quieter and have great traction.

Four wheel alignment required shims on the rear to get within specs.

Had the HID headlamps and power units replaced, some of the cost refunded by the class action suit. Replaced the hatch release switch - became gooey. Had the engine coolant pump replaced after I noticed pink fuzz at the weep hole. Spent several hours trying to eliminate a rattle in the glove box area. The solution was to remove the owners manuals.

Just today the windshield got a chip and started cracking, which is why I'm visiting the site. So a windshield replacement is in the near future.

We are very happy with this car, it is cheap to operate and I expect it to keep providing great service for another 100k miles.

19. Sue Crawford

Sue Crawford Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Just discovered and joined this site. I have a 2002 Prius with 125,000 miles. White. Her name is Marsha. She's been a great car. Now I am experiencing a violent shudder in the steering column and am told I need to replace the whole automatic steering mechanism for $3K. Is it worth is? I figure it is if I can get another 4-5 years out of her. But that brings up the battery question. So I'll be poking around the site for answers. Any & all comments welcome. Thanks!

20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the steering rack is a known problem area with your car. You might inquire into whether this repair can be covered by a Toyota recall.

If your car is not eligible then you might consider replacing the steering rack with a used part to reduce the repair cost. It is very reasonable to think hard about spending $3K on repairs for a car not worth much more than that amount.