1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

11.6 inch screen worth it?

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by aznkorboi, Jan 25, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, they don't exist. you cannot get a premium or advanced with a small screen.

whatever you read is incorrect, or you misinterpreted it. there are two 4" info screens in the prime, besides the big screen.

FA6, Kramah313, bowang and 1 other person like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there won't be any 'cracking' of toyota code to use the screen in other ways, there isn't enough interest in it. it's not like a billion i phones.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  3. Samprocat

Samprocat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you expecting something like Tesla interface that is far from what Toyota have made....in my opinion for 1.5 time less in price this screen and software work well....only thing that is underdeveloped is Toyota Entune....and missing android and Apple app capabilities....
    Still in my opinion my phone is big enaf to use what i want on phone .....
    There will be way and load anything you want some day....or it will be entirely replaced by Aftermarket big screen that's user friendly and have platform to be used anyway you like

4. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    FYI - you can control the temp settings from the steering while using the multi mode display up in the dash. There is a panel for the climate. It is a little odd though if you want to go from not auto to auto. I think, but haven't confirmed, that you have to turn the fan all the way up then you can push it over to auto, which is odd. I haven't played with it much, I just had to turn on defrosters and wanted to put the system back to Auto and had to use the big display to get where I wanted.

As to the big display, I didn't buy the Advanced for the display, I bought it for the heated steering wheel and other safety features that were added to the advanced plus the remote climate. I use remote climate every day. I have found that doing remote climate I can get into the car and drive the few miles I need to home without the ICE coming on at all. If I don't prep the car when it is below freezing the ICE will sometimes force its way into the picture. On really cold days I will prep the vehicle twice while I am on the train to ensure the front windshield is really clear because defrost is a sure fire way to have the ICE come on. My commute is often short enough that I can get away with burning some of my battery this way and still not use the ICE at all.

The remote features are only available on the Advanced. Other than that, I don't think I would have cared if they had put the smaller display in the vehicle. If the UI was better perhaps I would be more jazzed by it, but I knew what Toyota's systems were like before I bought this, so I went in with low expectations and they didn't exceed them.

bisco and priuscatprimeguy like this.
  5. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The 11.6" screen/UI may not be perfect, but I think it's a nice upgrade compared to my 2008 Prius. The 11.6 is far and away much better than the awful dual screen UI in our 2014 Acura MDX, which is such a disaster that the two of us, (seasoned IT professionals, no less) don't bother using that for anything but the bare minimum. It depends on what you're used to.

So far, the only thing I miss is the steering wheel button that toggles air recirculation on the 2008. I used that all the time.

Daniel L and bisco like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Our 2010 Canadian Touring has no screen, everything's accessible via buttons. Even them I'm not that happy with, they're too uniform, and the H/V buttons in particular are multi-selective, requring you to take your eyes off the road, watch a little LCD display for multiple pushes.

Also, obviously without a screen there's no built-in Navigation, but I'm fine with that. We have Garmin with a suction cup mount in the triangle window. And more-and-more one of my co-pilots just calls it up on Google maps on a phone, if needed: much more easy to use than the clunky Garmin.

Anyway, I'm really not sold on built-in screens, seems to me they're actually a cost-cutting ploy by manufacturers. Just dump all the controls and functions onto a screen. It's a distraction rivaling cell phone use, and when it fails you're really screwed, and looking at a big repair bill.

aznkorboi likes this.
  7. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    OP i had the opportunity to spend a few days in the Plus model and i thought the small screen was worthless.

SO yes get the larger screen for usability. I would keep your expectations low though for the GPS.

it's not very smart.

Plus imo the pleather seats in the premium and advanced are far better than the cloth.

bisco likes this.
  8. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Lol. Ok. GOod to know! It seems very mixed. Some love it, some hate it. I guess the question would be whether I can get an advanced model without it. But I don't want to regret not getting one. haha

9. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In the US, you cannot get an Advanced model without the 11.6 screen.

bisco and aznkorboi like this.
  10. JasonG

JasonG Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    How do you change to night mode. I haven't been able to do that.

11. aznkorboi

aznkorboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the heads up. It shows on the toyota website that they are both standard on the advanced model. YOu might be right

12. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. Please see the attached photo, which highlights the four inch "screen" (the multi-information display) that is on all Prime models. In addition to that, the Plus has an additional 7" display, and the Premium and Advanced have the 11.6 inch display.

Attached Files:

#32 ruby, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    aznkorboi likes this.
  13. ruby

ruby Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here is the 2017 Prius Prime Premium / Advanced 11.6 inch display. If you get a Premium or Advanced, it will have this display in addition to the 4" one in shown post above.

Attached Files:

14. geguia

geguia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    i dont have that white cup holder.

anyone else get the weird bug where the Home screen buttons show up on the 4" screen?

bowang and Will_Prius16 like this.
  15. Will_Prius16

Will_Prius16 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Yup. Just suddenly started appearing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

16. Wattup

Wattup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    FYI. If some of you guys find the display distracting at night you can turn the whole thing off. Under setting / display.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Samprocat and bisco like this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but don't expect to have any functionality.:p

18. Captmiddy

Captmiddy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    thatoneraccoon and bisco like this.
  19. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I am glad it has an off button :D My Chevy Volt I traded in didnt have an off button for the climate control, its probably my biggest gripe with that car. To shut it off, you have to keep pressing the fan speed touch button down, and the touch was slow so you could not do it fast, until it would shut off.

bisco likes this.
  20. thatoneraccoon

thatoneraccoon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I found how after playing around a bit with things at night. Find the dash brightness control buttons on the dash to the left of the steering wheel. Click the brightness down one click while the car and sensor thinks its night time out and it will change the screen to night mode :D