1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12V Battery Check via Dash Display on 2016 Prius v Five w/ AT

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GetzMorSpuzLes, Mar 3, 2018.

1. GetzMorSpuzLes

GetzMorSpuzLes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Know how to check 12V battery status via the MFD on our 2005 Gen 2.

However, just cannot find a similar procedure for our 2016 v Five with the AT package (includes the 'Entune Premium JBL Audio w/Nav & App Suite').

Anyone know if one exists? Would appreciate any thoughts ... and thanks in advance.

PS: the procedure posted here: Prius v Display Audio Service Menu w Battery Check | PriusChat doesn't apply as there is no 'Car' button on the JBL Entune display head.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it isn't available, pick up a cheap digital multimeter, and check the voltage at the jump point under the hood. i check my oil, ww fluid, all fluids and 12v on a regular basis.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. GetzMorSpuzLes

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    bisco, thank you for the thought. Used that approach to establish the baseline for both the 2005 and the 2016.

Hoping for a 'display process' so I can grab the Standby, Running, and Loaded values single handedly as on the 2005. This makes it easy to watch for shifts over time.

Thanks again for sharing.

bisco likes this.
  4. S.Bell

S.Bell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On my 2013 v trim 5, I had to do the following steps:

1. Push "On" to what we used to call the Aux. Mode back in the days aka no brake to just barely cut on wagon.

2. Push and hold the "Info" button while turning my headlights on and off 4 times total..

* screen will change to three options.

3. Push/tap, I believe, the middle option. If not, you can always choose "back arrow".

Then to get out of maintaince mode, you simply cut car off as normal.

Then you can do the process again to to get voltage readout of it with it in full Power Mode.

Attached are pics of my screen results from it. Once in a good long while I have to get the tiniest jump to get it to get into Power Mode. I am talking about just a spark for a few seconds is all that's needed. My Power Mode reading is good, from the tiny bit of skimming online. Please feel free to comment on it.

Attached Files:

5. wstt

wstt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Can you tell me where the “info” button is? I’ve got a 2012 v 5 and there is no info button. Thanks.

6. wstt

wstt Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On my 2012 v 5 I was able to finally access the diagnostic screen by pressing power button twice with no foot on brake, then hold down the “car” button to the right of the display, and while holding it down I turned the lights on and off a few times until a screen came up on the display. Then I selected something like diagnostics or Vehicle Check, and battery voltage came up.

**** I should add, I tried a voltage meter at O’Reilly’s and Autozone and at each place they got zero reading when connecting to battery jumping terminals under the hood. Nothing. However, Using the same exact spots under the hood I had just jumped my car using a friend’s car in order to get “ready” to come up on my screen so I could start the car.

#6 wstt, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  7. GabrielD

GabrielD Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius+ MPV
    Model:
    V
    With your call off, lights off, foot off brake, car in park:

Put key in ignition and turn on power, do not start car.
    Wait for radio to come on and past the splash screens.

There are 2 sections - press either the AUDIO or the APPS button as they both displayed different diagnostic sections and continue to hold down the button. Turn headlights on and off 3 times - you can now release the APPS or AUDIO button (whichever you selected).

Also another menu can be found by
    1) press the setup button
    2) press the general settings button
    3) scroll down to volume settings
    4) choose any of the volume change buttons. (I used Navigation Prompt Volume)
    5) touch the screen in the middle far right side just under the back arrow then touch the screen on the button right corner and continue alternating pressing those two areas of the screen. A hidden menu then pops up.

Here is the source

bisco likes this.
  8. GetzMorSpuzLes

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    GabrielD, thank you for the final piece of the puzzle. Holding the AUDIO button is the key. Prior advice said to hold the CAR, Display, or Info buttons ... none of which exist on our v Five Entune JBL system.
    The use of the APPS button to access the ancillary diagnostic info was a bonus.

Hope you and yours are failing well during these challenging times.

GabrielD and bisco like this.