1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

12v Battery Is Discharging, Re-Charge Now !

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rob43, Apr 18, 2020.

1. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If you don't have a load tester there's still a way to get a good idea of battery health: turn on the brights and the rear windows defrost and test the voltage. You're looking for a big voltage drop. Let them run for a minute or two and shut them off. Test the voltage again. If the battery is still 12.5V+ your battery is fine.

2. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have a Solar digital tester. I found that if the battery is not fully charged, the CCA it shows for the battery is significantly less than if fully charged. Honestly, I don't trust those things. I bought another brand and it gave me varying results so I returned it. The Solar one is better, but I think the carbon pile is the best way to test. I basically went on the age of the battery to make the decision to replace and not the test results, which said the battery was still good (95% SOH fully charged).

3. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    How long are you charging? what's the Schumachers amp rating? what voltage are you getting after charging?

I'd suggest if you like the results better when disconnecting the batteries, than do it that way,
    I've not hooked up a charger to the Primes 12 volt so far, if memory serves, but I have seen the 12 volt below 12 volts (like 11,8) once on a 30 * F fall morning a couple years ago. But I had to unlock and open the door (to pop the hood) which woke the car up that morning.

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look at the link I posted:
    Preemptive 12V Battery Replacement | Page 2 | PriusChat

It was not a Solar tester, but a very similar built Ancel BA101 load tester showed the opposite of what you have described. That is the battery that had only a Charge level of 79% @12.48v in-vehicle load test resulted in being a GOOD BATTERY with 48% 335CCA registered. Then when this battery was removed from the car and charged fully using an external charger, then retested by the same Ancel BA101 digital load tester, it said REPLACE and showed lower 36% 275 CCA even though the Charge was showing 98% @12.90v.

5. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Your tester looks similar (and may use the same firmware) to the KONNWEI KW208 I bought off of Amazon. It kept giving me different/inconsistent results so I returned it. With the same battery, I got every result except Bad Cell.

6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #406 Salamander_King, Mar 23, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Brute force carbon pile resistors don't lie. You can buy them at walmart or harbor freight for $20. They're just a bit bulkier than your Ancel or Konnwei and way cheaper than the Solar 1874.
    Yes, it's a bad idea to load test with the battery still attached to the car. If the battery is bad; the low voltage caused by the test will mess with your sensors and CPUs.
    You probably could've got thru summer and fall on 275CC, but you would definately need to replace it by winter time. Just throw a jump pack in the car, just in case.:)

Salamander_King likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you read the link I posted, you notice the test results were on the 8 years old OEM battery in our Pathfinder Hybrid. Yeah, it would not start the car when it was -26F. So, I replaced it with a brand new AGM battery. All the tests were done after removing it from the PathHy.

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2021 PP 9kmiles with ~1-year-old OEM 12v GS Yuasa battery. The car is being driven once or twice a week on average. I haven't driven for an entire week, and the last time I charged the 12v battery was a few months ago. The resting voltage of the 12v battery had dropped to 12.36v. Charged the battery overnight. Now it should be good for a couple months.

upload_2022-6-25_8-48-35.png

upload_2022-6-25_8-50-20.png