17-18 Prius Prime grille question

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wzakaras, Feb 1, 2019.

1. wzakaras

wzakaras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've received a lot of help from this forum and hope for someone to give me an answer. I need to replace my grille part # 53101-47051. I can't get an answer as to whether this part needs paint or refinishing. One member provided me with quite a bit of info but couldn't answer this for certain. The grille ids Black. It has both a black glossy plastic and a flat black portion . it has bee suggested that it might need clear coat? Parts counters can't answer this as i have tried several. has anyone with a prius prime had front end damage repaired tell me if the grill needed to be painted or refinished? I would think it would be a separate entry on a repair order if it needed paint or refinishing. thanks in advance

2. ems2158

ems2158 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I spent 3 days repairing and repainting the lower flat black section of the grill that my wife crunched against a curb. I didn't see anything on that part that had a clear coat. BTW, the flat black was not painted. It was just unfinished black plastic. That part on my car has been repaired with bumper repair epoxy and repainted with flat black paint. It's holding up well after a year.

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The parts in question "Grille Sub-Assembly Rad - Toyota (53101-47051)" contains clear acrylic part around the emblem and just below. (inside of red marked area in the diagram below) The remaining part is always black in all models of PRIME. There are others, including me, posted complaints about the clear acrylic part getting chips and cracks so easily. Toyota does not seem to sell the clear acrylic part separately from the rest of the larger black grill part. I don't have an answer to your question, but the acrylic part must come off, so painting the black part to any color you wish has to be possible. But I don't think it comes painted black, to begin with. Mine does not look like any paint on the black part. Just virgin plastic with matte texture finish.
    Toyota 53101-47050.jpg

#3 Salamander_King, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    upnorth likes this.
  4. wzakaras

wzakaras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Once Again, I BIG thanks to all you folks

5. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    #5 Salamander_King, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sidewalk Supervisor

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Can you post a picture? Is it a chip, a crack, it's in more than one piece?

If a chip, I'd be inclined to just leave it be.

7. wzakaras

wzakaras Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    i've ordered the parts. grill + 4 sensor retainers. retainers are not reusable. the retainers are for the side & conder sensors. 've acquired the manual from alldata. first step is to put the adjustable grille in maintenance mode. anybody know if a user can do this or is it via a computer command thru the POD? Also thr bumper cover & grille come off as one piece. this requires disconnecting the sensors or removing them from the cover/grille. As my cover is fine, I'm hoping to not remove or disconnect the sensors? Once that is done a re-calibration is "supposedly" a mandatory requirement. So Be it. Anyone know if the toyota does this or an outside source. since I am doing the repair I can see reluctance from a body shop taking on the job

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    With all those sophisticated sensors, it sounds like just slapping on the grill parts is not going to work. Sorry, I don't have an answer to you question, but you probably need access to Techstream to do the work. Isn't the work covered by insurance? If so, why not leave the job to the pros. In any case, good luck and let us know how it turns up.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Sidewalk Supervisor

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With 3rd gen maintenance mode can be initiated through a series of shifts and pedal pushes. Not sure if 4th gen and Prime are same or similar, but fwiw I've attached 3rd gen instruction; you could try it. If that doesn't work, you maybe could search the web for some of the words in the attachment, might be able to find Prime info.

Not sure if All-Data has info comparable to Toyota repair manual online. If so, it should have maintenance mode instruction, hopefully without techstream. You can also search (with subscription) on toyota tech info.

Attached Files: