1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 climate control issues

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by peftypeftypefty, Nov 9, 2017.

1. peftypeftypefty

peftypeftypefty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Greetings Priifers. I have a 2006 that has been terrific but recently I noticed 2 unrelated issues I'd like to ask help with.

Issue 1. I can no longer successfully send heat to the floor. I can send heat to the front window or to the chest-level blowers, but when I select floor on the touchscreen (and my selection registers as such there), the heat stays at chest-level. In recent years there has been a low creaky sound whenever I successfully switched from chest to floor, but now there is no such sound.
    - Was the low creaky sound a flap that rotates into place? Can this be easily reached and lubricated?
    - What other fixes for such a problem have y'all succeeded with in the past?

Issue 2. I can no longer use the rear defrost and front defrost buttons on the steering wheel, unless the steering wheel is turned. I can still enable these features from the touchscreen, just not from the steering wheel (unless it's turned).
    - Is this just a loose wire issue in the steering wheel/column? Can this be easily approached and fixed without setting off the airbag etc.?
    - What other fixes for such a problem have y'all succeeded with in the past?

Thank you!

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Issue 2 sounce like a "clockspring" in the steering wheel, I believe.
    @jerrymildred replaced one a while ago.

bisco likes this.
  3. peftypeftypefty

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks @Prodigyplace ! I will check in with @jerrymildred.
    I should mention that all other buttons on the steering wheel still work fine no matter what the orientation of the wheel.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He will likely respond since we both tagged him.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    1) the vent damper is either stuck, or burned out. in some threads, i believe there has been some success with spraying lubricant in there.

2) agree with pp above, the clock spring is failing. it doesn't have to affect all the steering wheel buttons.

Raytheeagle, jerrymildred and valde3 like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ta da!! Here I am. (For whatever that's worth. Looks like you folks have it sorted out pretty well. (y))

Issue one, also sound to me like a damper malfunction. I've heard they are a pain in the patooty to access. I've had a couple Gen 2 dashes apart which wasn't that hard with the help of an excellent Youtube video. But I didn't mess with ductwork.

Issue two is almost for sure the clockspring. It is not hard to replace but be VERY VERY careful that the one you put in was taken out with the steering wheel aiming the car straight ahead (12 o'clock on the wheel pointing straight up) and that you do not let the clockspring shift position during the R&R process. If you do, you could have a heck of a time getting it lined up right again. New ones are not cheap. I got a used one for about $50 from a trusted shop.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. peftypeftypefty

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you all! I feel very supported and accurately guidanced :)

I will report back if I take either of these on myself.

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah, there are several flaps that get moved around by electric-motor servos. The only one that's hard to get to is the one selecting between fresh and recirculated input (that one's on the glove-box side of things sandwiched between the heater and blower cabinets, ew). The ones for the temperature mixing and output selection are both on the driver's side of the unit and not hard to reach. At least, they weren't in my Gen 1; I don't know if Gen 2 added some other stuff down there that would make access more difficult.

I don't expect that lube is the issue; more likely that the servo just needs some attention. This thread might help. The Gen 2 servos were still the same design. Gen 3 changed them a bit.

Don't overlook that you've got a diagnostic mode available on your MFD screen. Lots of threads here about how to get into it. People get overexcited when they find it because they think it will be general-purpose diagnostics for the whole car, which it isn't, but it should have a switch-and-button test you can use to confirm all your dash and steering wheel buttons are sending the right signals. It probably also has a servo test, where you just command all the flaps to their various positions and see if they succeed. You might need to look that up in the repair manual, as there might be a different easter egg for getting into it, and it's less often discussed here.

You can do the same kind of active tests with Techstream, if you have access to that.

-Chap

jerrymildred likes this.