1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2 month storage

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dogbohn, Nov 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dogbohn

dogbohn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I will be storing a 2017 Prime for two months. Any recommendations?

2. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    See page 133 of your manual that says

"Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when
    leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time.

After confirming that EV mode has switched to HV mode, turn the power
    switch off."

Also hybrids do system checks, etc when you are not driving them so the 12V battery will still go down some over time. If you can charge it to full before leaving it or use a battery minder while gone, it would help.

Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pump up the tires to max sidewall pressure

4. triggerhappy007

triggerhappy007 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Base
    I would leave the charge around 50% and disconnect the 12V battery. From my past experiences with EV and PHEV, the 12V battery is really weak. If you leave your car off for that length of period, your 12V battery will probably be dead when you restart your car.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you don't disconnect the 12V, then I recommend turning the switches to OFF (e.g. headlight) and ensure that the SKS function is turned off. This is in addition to all the advice from above.

Page 280

upload_2018-11-14_8-30-55.png

FuelMiser and MMBH like this.
  6. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    +1

Leave 50% of charge and disconnect 12v battery.

7. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No it won't.

IF.....it is fully charged going in.
    AND.....the battery is not already worn out.

Since your model might not use much gas in normal use, some fuel stabilizer might be a good idea.

But NOTHING else is really required except being sure the 12 V is charged up.
    A battery tender is OK but should not be needed.

8. Duddy03

Duddy03 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I have a storage issue, too. My wife and I were out of the town for 44 days during the recent holidays. Upon return, the traction battery of our 2018 Toyota Prius Prime was fully charged but I failed to check the auxiliary battery. Following a near-by trip, the car failed to start. I'm sure that the auxiliary battery suffered from a normal discharge condition during our absence. A simple jump start and subsequent battery charge at 4 amps returned the car back to normal operation. The next time, I will automatically charge the storage battery on the Prime (which I did with my other Toyotas) upon returning home. I also now carry a small lithium-ion battery charger from Costco in the trunk.

My question: Should not the DC-to-DC Converter have charged the low voltage auxiliary battery, even though I had operated the car on EV and the engine never ran? My Toyota Care Warranty is about to run out and I have a Toyota service date scheduled in February. Prius Prime owners need to be aware of the potential no-start situation when the car engine is not used for a month or more. Finally, would anyone suggest that there an electrical issue with the car which the Toyota technicians need to diagnose?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are making several mistakes here.

1) you should not leave the hybrid battery fully charged for long periods of time (see the o/m)

2) just like any prius, you should either disconnect the 12v neg, or put a maintainer on it.

letting it run down, and then jumping it is not good for it's health. likely, it had just enough charge to start the car, but is damaged, and wouldn't take a charge while you were driving.
    yes, the car does charge a healthy 12v when driving in ev.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah.

Been there.
    Done that.
    Ten times on subs and too many to count on skimmer ships, company schools, other military excursions, etc.

Best Advice?
    RTFM!
    (read the.....ah.....'factory' manual.)

^ Do that.

DON'T do any of the goofy things you hear people try when parking a car for 60 days like putting it on jack stands, taking out the plugs and squirting oil into the cylinder bore, etc....
    Also I would not disconnect the 12v battery (see above posts.)
    Since having a <$100 jump pack (or at least a set of jumper cables and a 3-digit IQ) is as important as a spare tire, I really don't get wrapped around the axle about the possibility of a deav aux (12v) battery.

If yours dies while your car is parked for 60 days you did not cause a problem......you discovered a pre-existing problem.

Simply put....a car that cannot be parked for 60 days is not dependable enough to be a daily driver.

YMMV

FuelMiser likes this.
  11. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    ^agreed
    I imagine that a good portion of the Prime's sat on a dealer lot for over 60 days without movement before someone came along and drove/bought it. Ours was pretty dusty when we looked at it and may have never been test driven prior to us.

12. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I often wondered about how long some of these Primes may have been sitting around and what impact it might have on the longevity of the battery packs.