1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2001 Prius - Brake Actuator Replacement Issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Jim Dine, Dec 16, 2023.

1. Jim Dine

Jim Dine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello PriusChat members: Let me start by saying that I am not someone who is mechanically inclined or able to do much in the way of self-repair, I simply enjoy driving my 2001 Prius, which I inherited from the original owner. I am therefore grateful for this forum to be able to learn more about how this car works and how to keep it running. Unfortunately I've now run into a problem that may require me to part ways with the car earlier that I had anticipated.

I recently had a braking problem on a highway exit that showed codes C1214 and C1215. The dealership diagnostic report says: "Hydraulic brake booster and Actuator Assembly internal leak." Although this is a relatively expensive repair, I decided to proceed because I like the car, it has only 97,000 miles and is otherwise in good shape. (I've also previously replaced the hybrid battery once).

The dealership has just called back to say that Toyota no longer makes or sells the brake actuator for this model, so they can't actually perform the work. I've done a bit of reading about brake actuators on this forum (including a very helpful 2017 post explaining the differences between actuators and accumulator assemblies in various generations of vehicles (forum won't permit a link). I confess I don't understand all of the discussion, but based on what I've read here the dealership assertion that there are no replacement actuators available for a Gen1 model seems at least plausible.

I've asked them -- and will try to do further research myself -- to see if such part may be available via a salvage yard. However, there were some suggestions on the forum that a brake acuator is not necessarily the type of part that you would ideally want to purchase used. The forum post I linked above also mentioneda brake "master cylinder rebuild kit" available for Gen1 vehicles, and that kit does still seem to be available online (forum won't permit a link). But I'm not sure if that will serve to fix the problem.

I would be grateful for any further explanations or advice for addressing this issue, including but not limited to sourcing suggestions for the part. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Ideally that would be correct if everybody had the $1,700 for a Gen 2 brake actuator assembly I'm sure that's that's what they would do I have changed several with used actuators most have been successful I have one right now that failed the minute it was bolted on the car. Usually I'm pretty careful I have towing lots that call me when they take one of these cars in A lot of these cars are pulled in from dealerships and repair shops where the person is on their last nerve with the nonsense so many times I get these cars in every part has been replaced on the car except the last one they were told the next $1,800 repair they said no many times these paperwork is in the glove box and I do read. So that's one way it can be done sometimes the JDM importers the people that bring the engines in from the Asian market where they have more stringent requirements than we do for getting cars off the road these companies can locate you the part in the Japanese equivalent car Don't start worrying about what side the steering wheel might be on they generally know what they're doing. It is also possible that you might be able to call some companies like down in Conyers Georgia USA there are some important sports salvage yards down there that have miles of Prius Rows and miles. Many of these yards advertise on eBay ringing one or two of them up and finding out what they can do could be quite easy depending upon where you are in the world other than that now you are understanding about old car restoration almost venturing into the classic type of stuff costly time-consuming oh and by the way good luck.

3. Jim Dine

Jim Dine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you for the reply and your insights. To clarify, my Prius is Gen1 rather than Gen2; your're not suggesting that I can replace that with Gen2 actuator assembly are you? (My guess is that was not your intent, but just wanted to double-check).

4. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2002 Prius just underwent a brake booster/accumulator replacement at a local Toyota dealer (symptom: leaking accumulator causing actuator to continually re-cycle). The part (no. 47071-47010, pump sub-assy., brake) cost about $2,000 (ouch!) for the OEM replacement. I was charged for six (6) hours of labor @$160/hr., total labor $960. With $55-worth of brake fluid and state sales tax, the grand total came to $3,200. I consider this to be a fair price for the work performed, and I now have a functioning car again---a lot cheaper than buying a new car! Fortunately the actuator is functioning; that essential part is no longer available new, as OP has posted above. This particular malfunction did not set any codes; the diagnosis was made from empirical evidence and my description of the problem. If you add up all of the major repair work this car has needed (HV battery replacement, complete exhaust system, body work for rust and a roof repaint, and this latest job, plus a few other less costly jobs, but not including routine maintenance stuff like gasoline, tires, oil changes, state inspections, etc., etc.), I would put the total spent at around $10-12K over the course of 21 years, or an average of $500-600 /year----a very acceptable and reasonable amount, IMO, to maintain a vehicle like the Classic in good running order.

I love this car!

Jim Dine likes this.
  5. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have this parts available for sale. Bought two parts cars within the last month with working brake systems. I need one for a car I have, but i can sell you the other. The car is just drove to Houston from a Denver auction has 224k miles. The other car has less, IIRC around 180k, but I've driven it about a mile with no problems. Both cars were in wrecks (one hit in the side, the other from the back, so probably not driver's fault), so you gotta assume they were working at the time and nothing about the wrecks would have affected them.

Anyway, I try to help folks out here with cheap parts, but this one does require a bit of labor to remove and package for shipment. LMK if you wanna go that route and I'll figure out a price.

Jim Dine likes this.
  6. Jim Dine

Jim Dine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    @ronlewis Hello and happy new year! Thank you so much for your response! I'm sorry to say that I missed it while traveling over the holidays, but I would be *very* interested in purchasing this part from you if still available -- let me know. Thank you again!

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It can be especially important with Gen 1 to be clear about which piece is needed, because there are several, and the names aren't quite like what people got familiar with in the later generations.

[​IMG]

There's a "booster (power supply portion)" which is really the pump plus accumulator, and a "booster (master cylinder portion)" which is the master cylinder plus the actual booster, and an "actuator" that goes roughly amidships between them.

8. Jim Dine

Jim Dine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    @ChapmanF Thank you so much for chiming in and including this helpful diagram. Yes, I am going to contact the dealership again tomorrow and get them to confirm exactly which parts they do have in stock and exactly which one can no longer be obtained new. I've seen all of three of the parts you've marked above listed as being the "brake actuator" so this diagram helps explain a lot.

Can I assume that this is accurate for a 2001 Prius? I believe I had in read in a prior post of yours that even among Gen1 models, the 2001 part is different from the 2002 part, which is in turn different from a 2003 part.

Many thanks again

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't recall that much changed in that department among the years of Gen 1.

Jim Dine likes this.
  10. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have these parts. Known good.

11. Jim Dine

Jim Dine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello @ronlewis, I am very interested in discussing this with you further. I tried sending you a private message ("open a conversation?") but may have failed in my attempt.

12. ronlewis

ronlewis Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I got it and responded. Just LMK which part you need.

Not positive, but I recall seeing a similar post from Mr. Chapman and seems like it was describing a change in the names of each part, or at least how some sources referred to each one, from year to year, and not the parts changing themselves.

Jim Dine likes this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Name changes between generations, definitely. Within generations, not that I've noticed.

The problem of different sources calling them different things has been forever, though.

And eBay sellers will generally list a part by throwing in every name they've ever heard for any part of the system.

Jim Dine likes this.