1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2002 Prius appears to be leaking A/C

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, Aug 5, 2015.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I refilled my 2002 Prius with freon, but after a few months it is blowing hot air again. What tools do I need to find the leak? Is it possible to fix this without a mechanic? Perhaps I will get lucky and it is leaking right from the valve.

2. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So I finally decided to look into my A/C issue. Is it OK to pump compressed air (from a regular air compressor) into the high and low sides? I want to check for leaks with an automotive stethoscope.

3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's not okay, unless the air is scuba grade, it can be full of contaminants ie water, oil, dirt which shouldn't be injected into the a/c system. If you fix your leak, you'll at least need to have it vacuum evacuated, have an oil charge, and then freon. If you introduce a bunch of crap into the system you'll need to have it flushed as well.

You can get a sniffer tool from Harbor Freight to look for the leak. Alternatively, you can put a dye charge in and then inspect the connections with a u/v light (there are flashlights for this that are inexpensive.) If you don't have an actual A/C service manifold and a vacuum pump, you're gonna have to have it done at a shop. My best advice is to take it to a shop like Midas and have them do the diagnosis and repair the leak, probably needs some o-rings. The shrader valve almost never develops a leak. If you decide to do the work yourself, you'll have to buy o-rings (the green ones) and a can of ester oil of which you'll use probably about 10 grams.

4. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Am I looking for something like this?

Just trying to get an idea of the costs.

5. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before your do the repair $hop thing, is the A/C light blinking on the climate control panel? If so, it's a sign that the A/C clutch may be slipping, and the repair is one, maybe two parts: (a) first replace the drive belt (a $10 part and maybe 1 hour of your labor) and (b) inspect and perhaps clean the A/C magnetic clutch faces (a process described here)
    (A/C Clutch Diagnosis and Replacement | PriusChat)

Let us know...

6. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The forum software chopped it and nothing came t hrough

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    How many miles on this 15 year old car ?

It is not unusual for the compressor to be shot at that age, which can also cause loss of refrigerant.
    If you have been driving it around for TWO YEARS with no refrigerant, that means no lubricant either and almost guarantees a high repair bill.

And it is not unusual for a complete rebuild to run more than $500 at an independent shop.

8. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    amazon.com/Yellow-Jacket-42006-Manifold-Gauge/dp/B0039KT74S
    amazon.com/Kozyvacu-Single-Stage-Conditioner-Refrigerant-Degassing/dp/B01N6IOBWF

9. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I don't remember. 150k miles maybe? Are you saying the compressor will be bad just from spinning the disengaged clutch? I obviously stopped using the A/C as soon as I noticed it was blowing hot air.

10. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The vacuum pump is fine. The manifold is kinda expensive and you'll have to buy the R134a fitting for extra money. there's this, you'll still need to acquire a can tap, tho.

A/C R134A Manifold Gauge Set

11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You THINK you stopped using it.
    Many models turn it on automatically under some conditions......like high humidity.
    Even if it didn't run at all for 2 years, just sitting there in exactly the same position might mean that it is now frozen in place.

12. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where did he say that it hadn't worked in two years? If it's suddenly not working, first thing to check is if adding refrigerant will bring it online. Ester oil does leak out, but sufficient oil will remain in the system to keep the pump lubed. I never add ester oil unless the system has been opened up, closed up and evacuated. But also, if the refrigerant is low, the low pressure switch & relay will keep the clutch from engaging.

I suggested before that Paul let an A/C tech that he trusts have a chance to diagnose it. Sometimes the cheapest way is to leave it to an expert. I (an old shadetree mechanic) could diagnose it fairly quickly, for about $30 in materials. But he's there, and I'm in Tucson.

13. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Post #1 in this thread was made in August, 2015......a bit shy of two years.
    ;)

14. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I had it recharged a few years ago (other posters correctly determined this by the post dates) and it blew cold air. But it blew hot air a week or so later, so this is how I determined that it must be a leak.

15. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah, but if we're talking harbor freight, may as well get something like this:

Is it a complete kit?

16. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Poor logic, it could be that between the time you recharged it, the compressor failed or a sensor died.

So if you recharged it and if it still blows hot air, you could conclude that the problem is mechanical (bad pressure sensor, worn out compressor.) I think I'd invest in a couple of cans or R134a and toss a dye charge in (first) for good measure. You can probably get a little battery operated U/V lite at a hardware store (like Ace) or at Amazon.

17. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]picture share

It has everything you need except the hose and fitting for the refrigerant cans. It's similar to the one I use, except a lot newer. For a home mechanic, the quality is adequate. Same with their electric vacuum pumps.

18. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What hose and fitting do I need for the cans?

19. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]adult image

almost any autoparts store has them. I have these tools (actually a bit better.) They aren't necessary for topping off your system, but if you plan to do repairs that require evacuating they are indispensable.

20. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks a lot. I think I have an idea of how to test the system, though it seems like the costs are running a bit high.

Having learned what kinds of fittings the system uses, I also had another idea of how to figure out where the dye is:

Interdynamics R134a AC Leak Detector Detection with UV Dye 330 | eBay
    1PCS R134a U-Charge Hose A/C Refrigerant Hose Air Conditioning Recharge Hose New | eBay
    Mini Aluminum UV ULTRA VIOLET 9 LED FLASHLIGHT BLACKLIGHT Torch Light Lamp G MAC | eBay

I just don't want to splurge over $100 on something that is likely to give me no more than a hopeless diagnostic. Will the above 3 items work? I already have a stethoscope to test for leaks immediately. Failing that, I'll drive the car during the day then test it at night with the UV flashlight. Will those three items allow me to test my system?