1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2004 Prius Red Triangle and 2 faults after 2 weeks idle.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gregheadman, May 7, 2017.

1. gregheadman

gregheadman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After sitting for almost two weeks the red triangle and fault codes P0A80 and P3019 appeared assumed ithe 12 v battery (new yellow top 3 months ago) had gotten a little low. Drove 25 miles and reset, problem came right back. Charged battery overnight,( 14.1 V) reset, problem came right back. Disconnected 12v power to reset computer, but problem came right back. Yes it affects the drive-ability cause the computer gets stupid causing poor power and acceleration bat cooling fan runs at full speed MFD shows HV battery @ 1 bar. When stopped ICE continuously cycles on and off with nothing on. Most of the time, after reset via OBD II Torque APP, the computer sees that everything is actually OK and will operate correctly till next fault.

Prior to sitting for 12 days, car was operating perfectly with excellent MPG. ( aprox 96K miles)

1. 12 v battery - (good 14.0+ Volts)
    2. Oil full and just changed a couple of weeks before
    3. New key FOB battery.
    4. All coolant and fluid levels full and fresh,
    5. 4 months ago HV battery all cells inspected measured (perfect BTW) minor corrosion on a few terminals that was cleaned off.

Please help

Thank You
    Greg

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Doesn't sound good. Regardless of recent check, maybe failing battery? Codes too, point that way.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hybrid battery needs to be replaced. The Hybrid battery is now almost replacing the 12 volt battery in its volume of posts.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the 12 volt should be tested when the car has been off for a few hours. 14v while it is on means nothing.
    how many miles on her?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like HV battery block #9 might be showing signs of some weakness

bisco likes this.
  6. gregheadman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    96k Miles

Another post I read here reports a similar problem was resolved by replacing the "relays in front" but no specifics. Anyone else know of relay related cause/fix?

How about which of the relay(s) in front are likely candidates or have the potential to cause or be related to this issue? I have a relay INTERMITTENTLY clicking in FRONT when I open the drivers door that was NOT clicking prior to this?

I appreciate all of the input, THANK YOU

7. gregheadman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope you are wrong but I agree... the signs are there.

What is the best (quickest) procedure to verify or rule out if the HV battery or cell is the cause?

Thanks again for the input it is APPRECIATED!

8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These two codes are reported by the HV battery ECU, why would you assume it was the 12 V battery?
    P0A80=Replace Hybrid Battery Pack
    P3019=Battery Block 9 Becomes Weak
    Wishing it weren't so won't make it so.
    Use your scan to observe the module voltages in real time while doing a charge/discharge test. You are looking for modules that charge faster than the others when charging and discharge faster than the others when discharging.

This thread, How to test HV battery state of health on your Gen 2, has a rudimentary test that you can do that requires no special tools.

hope this helps.

9. gregheadman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank You again. Luckily its STILL UNDER WARRANTY, so its not that I don't want to believe, with all that I know and have experienced with this specific car it does not make sense!

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Raytheeagle likes this.