1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius Brake LED lights not working properly

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Shane Burns, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    got a 2005 Prius with 136,000 miles. My mom have been driving my Prius for a while and I recently saw her arriving home at night and noticed the brake( and 3rd light too) led lights do not come on. But when you press the brakes, they do come on. Take off the brake pedal no light. Other lights(Taillights, license plate bulb) work fine though. Why is that? Perhaps a blown fuse?(n)

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry I don’t really understand you.

Other lights work fine? Brake lights light up when pressing the brake and stop lighting when not pressing the brake?

Isn’t that exactly how they are supposed to work?

Patrick Wong likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think he's saying all the brake lights work except the 3rd light. Never seen that before only the third light failing. lets see if the OP come back.

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is a brake light switch that contacts the brake pedal to activate the lights. I think it may be either not working or just out of adjustment.

5. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Like... when you turn on the headlights, the brake LED lights (including the 3rd light) suppose to turn on too. They are suppose to be on then more bright when you press the brake. But instead right now it is off and it come on when you press the brake. I hope I make it clear

6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The most obvious cause of this is: Not turning the lights ON......and driving with DRLs only......or no lights at all.

I have been guilty of that occasionally, since one of my cars has automatic headlights and the other one (Prius C) does not. But the DRLs are pretty bright in front.

How old is your Mom ?? :D

P.S. The lights that you are talking about are called "tail lights". The 3rd high mounted one is a brake light only.

PCSpaceShip likes this.
  7. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I still don’t understand.

That’s exactly how they are supposed to work. They are called brake lights they turn on when pressing the brake. Did they work differently in the past?

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No they aren't. He is talking about the TAIL LIGHTS.
    Please read all that he has posted......and think about it.

9. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don’t think so:
    That clearly says that he thinks that brake light is supposed to be on without touching the brake pedal.

And:
    That says that taillight do work.

#9 valde3, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  10. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    And I think that you aren't thinking.

He is obviously using the wrong terms to describe the problem.

11. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes. I understand that. I just don’t understand how did you come to a conclusion that it’s the taillights that don’t work?

There seem to be two things contradicting that conclusion. First he says that taillights are working. What could he mean by that? And second he does think that 3rd brake light is supposed to light up without braking. What could he mean by that?

#11 valde3, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    edthefox5 likes this.
  12. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, what is the top 6 LED of the rear light assembly? We refer to the brake lights right? The 3rd light is the middle one on the spoiler Right? And the bottom bulb light of the assembly is the taillights right?

13. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes.
    So what isn’t working?

If you turn the light switch on you should get (on the rear end) taillights and license plate lights. If you step on the brake you should get the brake lights (on bough rear lights and the center brake light).

edthefox5 likes this.
  14. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are saying this is normal? Well... call me stupid but I thought those LED brake lights are suppose to lit up the same way as my 2010 Prius.

15. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    We don't KNOW without actually SEEING what is happening........because your description is so confusing.

And for the second part...........OK, because I don't think that your other Pruis does that either.
    But then I'm not sure WHAT IT IS that we are talking about.

When you turn on the parking lights or headlights, SOME of the red lights on the rear of the car also come on. Those are TAIL LIGHTS........and usually do NOT include any of the "3rd light bar".

Then.....when you step on the brake pedal, some MORE red lights on the rear come on or get brighter, including the 3rd light bar. Those are BRAKE LIGHTS.

BRAKE LIGHTS do NOT come on with the headlights.

16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He’s just messing with us.

17. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nah, he's giving us all the information we need, and we're trying so hard to sound smarter than the OP that we're skimming right over it.

He's looking at a 2005 and wondering why it doesn't light up the same as a 2010. Well, here's why:

tailx.png

The Gen 2 introduced the bounce-LEDs-off-reflectors idea for the brake lights (up in the top chamber of the combination light), but still used a conventional incandescent (separately, down in the bottom chamber) for the tails.

For Gen 3, they liked the bounce-LEDs-off-reflectors idea so much that they got rid of the separate incandescent taillight, and 2010 and 2011 just uses the same bounced LEDs in the top chamber for brake (full brightness) and tail (reduced brightness).

The OP was surprised that the 2005's brake LEDs don't light up at partial brightness as taillights ... which is because it has its separate, incandescent taillights ... because it's a 2005.

... and of course the center brake light is only ever a brake light, on either model.

-Chap

PCSpaceShip, SFO and Shane Burns like this.
  18. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes yes yes.... I must be confused with my 2005 brake lights with my 2010 brake light! I thought it was broken... to turn out it is normal for the 2nd Gen Prius! Oop my bad! :oops::X3:Now... I would like to make the 2005 brake lights to work like my 2010. Partial brightness to full brightness when brake.. Have anyone done this before?

19. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Are you then going to take the incandescent taillights out? What will you do with the empty space?

-Chap

20. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sounds like an illegal modification as then your brake lights would be on when you’re not braking. Like
    ChapmanF said. On gen 3 that upper light is bough brake light and tail light. So it is approved as a brake light with full brightness and as a tail light with lower brightness. On gen 2 the upper light is approved as a brake light with full brightness and the lower light is approved as a parking light with incandescent bulb. Why do you want to do this modification anyways?

Doing the modification would actually be pretty easy with just resistor and couple of diodes. And would require very little disassembly.

Does the third brake light really come on, on your gen 3 when not braking?
    That was the thing that was confusing me. Also all the people that just started guessing didn’t help.

#20 valde3, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018