1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

2005 Prius , HID headlights to Halogens.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ChristopherH, Apr 7, 2015.

1. ChristopherH

ChristopherH New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, I know....I know...

however...
    My mind is made up....I just can't stomach what the shop charges every time a ballast goes out..
    so...
    My question is: Did the HIDs come as an upgrade option on the 2005 model prius...or is what I have some sort of HID kit ? (or how to tell if it's a kit)?

And...is there any way to downgrade TO the halogens from HIDs....(even if it rolled out of the factory with the HIDs? I just really cannot stand the HIDs anymore. I prefer not to discuss the benefits of HIDs....yada yada...
    But, please , if someone knows if this would be possible...would you kindly point me in the right direction...as currently I have only 1 headlight working and it would really suck to get a ticket for it....if it can be avoided.
    I totally refuse to continue with the HIDs.

I'll rip every wire out of the hood if I have to....(not the way I would prefer to go....but I am at that point)..
    Unreliable , expensive, pieces of trash...I hate em. hate hate hate.
    Meditation.....I really need to meditate...

So...downgrading....is it possible ? and IF so (I am referring to ....like if the factory installed it i.e. not a kit)
    Where could I could get the "how to" on it ?

frustrated and angry with HIDs,
    Christopher.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Found this post:

In this thread:

Replacing HID Headlight Assemblies with Halogen? Has anyone successfully done this | PriusChat

4. ChristopherH

ChristopherH New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the replies. I recently bought the halogen replacements lights....I was waiting to hear about the wiring...
    I do not see an outside ballast (kit) anywhere under the hood....the existing HIDs have their own ballast ....that mean they came from the factory like this ? and if so...
    how hard would it be to change to halogens ?
    like....new wiring harness difficult? -.-

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The details of connecting the halogens are in the post I quoted above. Did you read it?

6. Vinnie_febs

Vinnie_febs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you considered retrofiting? if you could, I would at least try to look into retrofitting your system with a morimoto system from the retrofitsource. It might seem a bit intimidating at first, but if you can find spare headlights and few hundred bucks (good investment trust me), go the retrofit route. Do it as a hobby, trust me, it will be worth the money in my opinion. It seems like a lot of work, but it's actually kind of easy. Just a thought,, I think it will cost you the same to downgrade at that point.

7. ChristopherH

ChristopherH New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One

Yes I did read it...
    I am not too crazy about the idea having wires that lead to a major component (especially one that deals directly with safety) exposed to the elements. (I.E. "used wire crimps on the terminals.." Translates to me...as..not having the correct bulb socket attached to the bulb ..leaving the wires open to the elements...possibly at some point vibrating off of the bulb terminals and wreaking havoc should they touch metal...

There must be a better way to secure the wires to the halogen bulb other than crimps ?

and what relays are referred to ?:

"Cost for a pair of halogen headlights assemblies about $130.00 shipped, plus wire connectors and relays about $40.00 "
    is there a part number for the relays ?

8. Bill and Cindy

Bill and Cindy New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    ChristopherH- were you able to find an easy fix on this. We are on our 4th set of ballast and bulbs and can't get it to work this time.

SFO likes this.
  9. Soulbarer

Soulbarer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HID lights were recalled on Gen 2 Prius due to a chronic malfunction. If you have one, by now it's pretty old and up there in miles like mine, so a new expensive kit or dealer fees make no sense. I bought halogen assemblies, plus the 9003 bulb harnesses, and went to town.

Check out my photos on another thread:
    How to convert from hid to halogen | PriusChat

SFO likes this.